JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought an entrenching tool at a garage sale.

I have so many E-Tool tales to tell
The 1st E-tools looked like children's garden shovels; this encouraged GI's to stand and step onto the shovel when digging, with poor results!
The WW2 shovel came out in about 1943 (?), a literal life saver in that it could be used in 3 (yes 3!) positions; it was very sturdy and served well for 30 plus years but then came a call for a more modern shovel!
The Tri-Fold was born! :(
I was issued one, they took my WW2 shovel away!
All the weight is evenly distributed and it has a 'spade handle'. Indeed, every useless bit of discarded technology from the previous 3000 years was combined into a single piece of 'architecture' never before seen by man.
If only we could have given it to the Russians!:confused:

I have so many E-Tool tales to tell
The 1st E-tools looked like children's garden shovels; this encouraged GI's to stand and step onto the shovel when digging, with poor results!
The WW2 shovel came out in about 1943 (?), a literal life saver in that it could be used in 3 (yes 3!) positions; it was very sturdy and served well for 30 plus years but then came a call for a more modern shovel!
The Tri-Fold was born! :(
I was issued one, they took my WW2 shovel away!
All the weight is evenly distributed and it has a 'spade handle'. Indeed, every useless bit of discarded technology from the previous 3000 years was combined into a single piece of 'architecture' never before seen by man.
If only we could have given it to the Russians!:confused:

No doubt! It is wonderfully compact! Thats good, so you can throw it in the lake and it will sink faster!;)
As a weapon or a shovel the old style is far superior. BTW, not how to dig a foxhole, if that's what he was doing!

Finally got my small lot ammo sorted, boxed and under lock and key. This little project took seven new ammo cans and dry boxes, three shoulder hung magazine pouches (4-30rnd mags ea) and a middling range bag. That took care of my SP, HP, .22 RF, and all of the revolver ammo! Whew!

My last post, several months ago, on this particular topic was to say that I wouldn't be posting any more information about what I have in preparation for whatever catastophe may happen. And I haven't, until now. I just can't help but crow just a little....

My wife and I sold our home, cashed out while the market is still good. We paid off all of our debt and bought another place, somewhat removed from the old place. Downsized, if you will. The new place is completely paid for so we are now debt free, aside from basic living expenses.

I celebrated by purchasing a new Springfield XD, full size in 9MM, for $400 and am taking advantage of a super deal from SA in the form of 3 free magazines and one double magazine carrier. SWEET.

At least for now, it is good to be me. ;)

My wife and I sold our home, cashed out while the market is still good. We paid off all of our debt and bought another place, somewhat removed from the old place. Downsized, if you will. The new place is completely paid for so we are now debt free, aside from basic living expenses.

There you go!

Not having any debt including not having a mortgage plus owning your own home (hopefully with some land) is about the best prep you can do.

I hope to be there in about 5 or 6 years - I am improving this place, I will sell some of the acreage I don't use to a neighbor and then also sell the remaining land and house for more than I paid for it. Hopefully that will be enough after paying it off to buy land out by Willamina/Sheridan/et al, and build something simple and more self-sufficient on less steep terrain and with a south facing slope. At that point, if I owe nothing or very little, I can just live off my SSI income, travel and not touch the 401K/IRA except for emergencies. I can live pretty frugally when I am not sinking money into land/home improvements.

I cut some more firewood yesterday, but didn't have time for much as I got sidetracked at work and didn't get home until an hour before dark.

I find myself wanting to leave work and come home and work around the place - but somebody has to pay the mortgage.

My last post, several months ago, on this particular topic was to say that I wouldn't be posting any more information about what I have in preparation for whatever catastophe may happen. And I haven't, until now. I just can't help but crow just a little....

I celebrated by purchasing a new Springfield XD, full size in 9MM, for $400 and am taking advantage of a super deal from SA in the form of 3 free magazines and one double magazine carrier. SWEET.

At least for now, it is good to be me. ;)

That's great fortunate! Nothing like paying off the mortgage and autos! Makes for a free man!

Without warning a large tree came down in a 15 mph wind on Site #2, missing the residence by mere inches. This was the one tree out of five judged least likely to offer any hazard to the building but it had started to rot away beneath the tree bark at ground level and so went undiscovered.
The tree broke 8 feet up from the ground, so God and Geometry saved the residence.
The next two weeks will be devoted to obtaining a cherry picker and trimming back the over hanging branches from four, 80 foot Popular trees, that are heavily rotted and near the residence, a partial mitigation at best as the cherry picker only reaches 45 feet up.

Built a better wood shed over the weekend, and constructed an antenna tower for my HF and VHF/UHF radio antennas. They're about 30' off the ground now. (As opposed to ON the ground)

Looking forward to testing the range this provides today.

Cut-up the fallen tree and hauled off 3 truck loads of branches yesterday.
Bucked-up the trunk today, quite a challenge as the saw bar kept being pinched despite wedges due to trunk's suspended position. the trunk, when cut, revealed that it was 85% rotten. I estimate that there are another two loads to haul away. I still have to re-sharpen chains and tune several saws.

Bit the bullet and bought a Briggs/Stratton 5,000W generator today. Need to be able to run my C-PAP in a power outage, may as well have the extra watts for the fridge, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top