The best .45 acp?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by SheepDog223, Jan 24, 2011.

1. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Active Member

39   1   0
    What are some good considerations for a .45acp in about the same size of a glock 23?
  2. Swedish K

Swedish K Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporter

3   0   0
    I'd go with whatever feels best to you - best feel in hand, best trigger feel, etc. I'm partial to the 1911 in .45 but that feels best in my hand and has the best trigger feel for me. If I had always shot Glocks I might lean toward one of those because of the familiar feel of it. You might want to go to a local range that rents guns and try a few to see what you like. You might ask around here and see if someone in your area will meet you at the range and let you try out any of the .45s they may have.
  3. Iceberg

Iceberg Member

82   0   0
    I like the single stack Glock 36. The Glock 30 is also a great choice and it will take high capacity Glock 21 magazines.
  4. OPAWY

OPAWY Member

0   0   0
    Might want to try the XD45 compact. I have the Service model, and its reliable and accurate, but wished I had gotten the compact model. I also have colt 1911's which are also my favorites.
  5. Reggie Dunlop

Reggie Dunlop Active Member

26   0   0
    When I was shopping for the same thing I considered the XD, the Glock 36 and the Smith & Wesson M&P. I chose the M&P .45 compact, hands down.
    8 + 1 capacity and with the flat base mag it is the same height as the M&P compact .40 using the pinky ext mag. The size is comparable to the Glock 36 or 23, except the Smith has a 4" barrel vs the 3.78" barrel of the Glock 36. The extra length is generally not an issue to conceal. I could not find much in the way of after market support for the 36 either, where as the M&P and Xd have a pretty substantial following.
    The real bonus for the M&P is the changeable back straps for the grip. It has a good ergonomic grip to begin with and by using one of the 3 different sized grips you can make it fit most any hand. At 27 oz empty w / mag it is not too heavy for EDC.
    The Novak sights on the M&P are better than what you get on the Glock also.
    I looked at the XD .45 compact but found it too wide and chunky and just too big overall, even though it has a great grip. I did not like the grip safety either.
    If you want a manual sfety the M&P can be had with or without.
    And like XD, you can use the higher capacity mags from the full size versions.
    The M&P has been almost boring to shoot because it feeds everything I have fed it.
    I can comfortabley carry the Smith all day in a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster.
    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    R.D.
  6. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Active Member

39   1   0
    I'm closing in on the Glock 21 or a 1911. Although I haven't gone feeling yet either. I want an Advantage arms .22 conversion kit for my primary shooter.
  7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Well-Known Member

30   0   1
    I'm a die hard 1911 fan, but If I were to go with a different .45 it would probably be the XD or XDM. While I have not shot one, it feels better in my hand than the Glock. The grip angle is closer to a 1911.
  8. mjz52

mjz52 Member

0   0   0
    I have a G23 & love it so that's why when I decided to get a .45 I went with the G21SF. It has a smaller grip which fits my hand very well but still holds 13+1 like the standard G21. I love mine!
  9. supergenius

supergenius Active Member

3   0   0
    Just sold my XD 45 compact. GREAT gun 10+1 and 12+1. Very accurate, I only sold it as I already am invested in .40, and wanted a new XDM 9mm 3.8 compact.
  10. 22many

22many Well-Known Member

31   0   0
    1911 or a sig p220. I had a hk that was pretty nice but couldn't get used to it so I sold it for my sig p220 carry. I've never been fond of glocks as they just seemed like junk to me. As far as 1911s, there are so many different kinds that I'm sure you will find one that suites your needs.
  11. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Well-Known Member

42   0   0
    Love my Glock 21SF, but it's nowhere near the same size as my Glock 19.
  12. titsonritz

titsonritz Well-Known Member

23   0   0
    HK45 Compact with LEM (And I hate HK politics)
  13. Iceberg

Iceberg Member

82   0   0
    I love my Glock 21; it is a soft shooting gun that is reasonably priced, accurate and packs 14 rounds of 45 ACP.
  14. Dell_dude

Dell_dude Member

2   0   0
    Not sure if you're going for compact or not, if not, I can say that I love my Glock 21SF.

If polymer doesn't do it for you, Springfield Armory makes awesome 1911s. I have a custom Mil-Spec that is awesome, and I also have an SA Loaded Champion for CC.
  15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Well-Known Member

12   0   0
    The G36 is smaller than the 23 but it is a great gun that is very concealable.
    Great accuracy out to 40 yards too. ( minute of bad guy for sure)
  16. titsonritz

titsonritz Well-Known Member

23   0   0
    The 36 length and height is in-between the 19 and 26 but thinner. I had one and liked it. Supposedly they have a lot of reliability issues, but mine ran fine. Maybe I had a good one. Who knows?

Overall Length: 19/6.85" vs 36/6.77"
    Height Including Magazine: 19/5" vs 36/4.76"
    Width: 19/1.18" vs 36/1.13"
    Barrel Length: 19/4.02" vs 36/3.78"
    Weight without: 19/20.99 oz vs 36/20.11 oz
    Weight Full: 19/~8.99 oz vs 36/~6.88 oz
  17. dmwebb34

dmwebb34 Member

3   0   0
    +1 on the 45c.. especially if you are a lefty.
  18. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

5   0   0
    +1
  19. djm68

djm68 Member

17   0   0
    Sig P220. I've had the P220 combat (sold it, regretted it!) but recently bought a P220, all stainless. I liked the P220 Combat, but I love the full stainless P220 -- the extra weight really softens the recoil, and it is really accurate.

DJM
  20. Grunwald

Grunwald Well-Known Member

Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA
    5   0   0
    Sig P220 are very nice. The best deal however are the FN FNP series handguns. I will never buy another handgun that does not have a break down lever like the Sigs and FNPs have. The quality of both of these is simply top notch. The slide is machined (not MIM) and tolerances are good.