JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One last peep from me on this thread haha!, the best .45 is the one you have with you (and didn't leave home because its too damn big) when SHTF, and actually works when needed. Right? Right!

1911's are the best and you can't beat a .45 for defensive purposes. And while I carry a Colt Commander I also have an Springfield XD Compact .45 in the glove box and a Taurus PT845 .45 ACP in the night stand so while I personally like the Commander for carry, there are many other good guns. Can't speak to Glocks as my wife won't allow a Glock in the house. She carries the XD .45 ACP and shoots the 1911 in competition.

1911's are the best and you can't beat a .45 for defensive purposes. And while I carry a Colt Commander I also have an Springfield XD Compact .45 in the glove box and a Taurus PT845 .45 ACP in the night stand so while I personally like the Commander for carry, there are many other good guns. Can't speak to Glocks as my wife won't allow a Glock in the house. She carries the XD .45 ACP and shoots the 1911 in competition.

why wont she allow a glock.?

why wont she allow a glock.?

It is a rather long standing joke around the house and out at the gun range. My wife is one of the few very active ladies at our gun club (Douglasridge) and she has never cared for Glocks. Doesn't like the feel or the trigger. She has shot them but does not care enough for them to pay money for one. She much prefers the 1911. She would let me have one if I wanted one but with so many guns out there that I want, Glock is not one I want that bad. We also have a friend who is a die hard Glock guy and part of it is just to bug him I think. She likes all kinds of guns. Shoots 1911's regularly, shoots an M1 Garand competitively (and very well I must say), and is just now working up loads for her new Rem 700 in .308 to come up with a sniper type rifle. Except for pistol, she shoots better than I do.

Just get one of each:
93.jpg
g30target.jpg
10 yards, rapid fire.

Last Edited:
Last summer, I owned a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and a Glock 21. I went shooting with a good friend who owned a Sig P220 and an H&K USP .45 that he let me try side-by-side. Months later, he decided to sell both of his .45s, and offered me a great deal on each. At this point, I own the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and a Sig P220. The Glock 21 and H&K USP are both great firearms, but I don't prefer them, for various reasons. I'm sure they are both loved, wherever they are!

As for carry, I go with a much smaller arm: LCR, 642, or PF-9.

I can't add anything of substance to the excellent commentary here, but I have to say how much I appreciate all these diverse points of view!

My "best" .45's are:
a Glock 36 w/ extended slide stop release, Meprolites, and a Pearce +0 base plate for daily carry;
a Glock 21SF w/ Meprolites and a +2 baseplate for more serious plans; and
a Ruger P90 w/ 14# spring dedicated to hot ammo for the woods and the vehicle. (It's a "+P90").

I guess I'm not a fan of steel frames.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top