JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have cougars living all around my place, because we have lots of deer. Any pistol or rifle of 22 LR or bigger is plenty of Cougar medicine. We also have Black Bear, and they are much thicker skinned. I usually carry my 9mm when out and about in the woods, but around the place, I slip my 38 special UL in my pocket. If I lived in ID. where some big Grizz live, the 10mm or hot and heavy 9mm flat nose or 357 up would be my choice. It's where the bullet lands that counts anyway :)

I have cougars living all around my place, because we have lots of deer. Any pistol or rifle of 22 LR or bigger is plenty of Cougar medicine. We also have Black Bear, and they are much thicker skinned. I usually carry my 9mm when out and about in the woods, but around the place, I slip my 38 special UL in my pocket. If I lived in ID. where some big Grizz live, the 10mm or hot and heavy 9mm flat nose or 357 up would be my choice. It's where the bullet lands that counts anyway :)
9mm is barely adequate for deer (at distance), the sloped armor of a bear skull requires .44 mag at a minimum with hot, heavy RNFP 10mm being a compromise between stopping power and controlability... IME (it's all about sectional density and velocity with the ability to resist deformation).

Edit: the giggling emoji fella(s) is/are cute but this has been tested to death. Anything short of a rifle cartridge is a compromise for brown bears, the best to carry is the biggest you can control and haul around comfortably. I live and work in griz country =) Then again, spray is the most effective method but that's not nearly as fun to discuss.

Last Edited:
have you heard of a .45 super?
I converted my old Smith 4506 to .45 Super with a Springco kit
loaded with 185 gn Underwood ammo
700 ft/lbs energy
that will handle any boar, cougar or black bear

20221210_093532.jpg

.357 is barely adequate for deer (at distance), the sloped armor of a bear skull requires .44 mag at a minimum with hot, heavy RNFP 10mm being a compromise between stopping power and controlability... IME (it's all about sectional density and velocity with the ability to resist deformation).

Edit: the giggling emoji fella(s) is/are cute but this has been tested to death. Anything short of a rifle cartridge is a compromise for brown bears, the best to carry is the biggest you can control and haul around comfortably. I live and work in griz country =) Then again, spray is the most effective method but that's not nearly as fun to discuss.
You don't have to run faster than the bear, just your fat friend. So if you find yourself being the fat friend that comes along in bear country....

.357 is barely adequate for deer (at distance), the sloped armor of a bear skull requires .44 mag at a minimum with hot, heavy RNFP 10mm being a compromise between stopping power and controlability... IME (it's all about sectional density and velocity with the ability to resist deformation).

The .357 and 10 mm in their more powerful loads are equivalent in power. So if 357 is "barely adequate for deer" and inadequate for black bear, so is 10mm, assuming you are comparing the best possible bear loads for each. (The people purporting to prove that 10mm is better for SD against bear are always comparing a hot 10mm load with a shot or mid power 357 load. Or a 10mm with round flat nose bullets against a 357 jhp.) Either one can get into the brain of a black bear with a shot to the skull from the front with full power loads with bullets that are harddobe4 and RNFP. If it takes a .44 mag to do the job on grizzlies, that means neither the 357 or 10mm is adequate in grizzly turf. As for shooting a bear somewhere other than the brain or spine, it doesn't cause instant incapacitation. Meaning the bear can maim or kill you while dying if it feels like it. Most black bears will quit attacking and run if wounded. But not all. Most grizzlies would rather spend their dying seconds maiming or killing you, but a few will instead run when injured. If you expect to instantly incapacitate a bear shooting it in the shoulder, heart, or body you need a high power rifle to do that.

A rifle has limitations too. Many times an attack by a bear or cougar happens so fast or unexpectedly the animal has knocked you down and might be chewing on your arm while you struggle on the ground, your rifle still slung on your back. You probably won't be able to deploy the rifle. You can deploy a handgun faster, and also if struggling on the ground. If you are chopping wood you probably set rifle aside. But not your handgun. I think a rifle svcks for SD against bad people in the woods. The bad guy can be passing you on the trail, and just say hello and act like he is passing. Then punch you in the face and grab the rifle. The rifle is unconcealed, so its obvious how to negate it.

As for spray being the most effective-- I suspect most of the cases where people report a bear attack they stopped with spray, it was just a bluff charge the bear was using to chase the intruder away from his/her cubs, berry patch, or fishing spot. The sensible person with a gun would be waiting quietly, gun aimed at bear till it was optimally close. And the bear who was bluffing would stop and withdraw. So incident wouldn't be reported as a bear attack. I used to carry spray and a gun when walking my dog in an area I lived in Minnesota with many loose dogs, some dobermans. Biggest problem was when my b!tech was in heat. I must have sprayed dogs at least 30 times. Sometimes the dog sneezed. Not once was any dog affected enough to withdraw and leave my b!tch alone. Even when the dog got a full snoots worth from a foot away. And if there was much wind sometimes I couldn't even get the spray on the dog. Turned out that every brand of spray legal to sell to civilians or legal for civilians to own in MN was watered down stuff.

Last Edited:
The .357 and 10 mm in their more powerful loads are equivalent in power. So if 357 is "barely adequate for deer" and inadequate for black bear, so is 10mm, assuming you are comparing the best possible bear loads for each. (The people purporting to prove that 10mm is better for SD against bear are always comparing a hot 10mm load with a shot or mid power 357 load. Or a 10mm with round flat nose bullets against a 357 jhp.) Either one can get into the brain of a black bear with a shot to the skull from the front with full power loads with bullets that are harddobe4 and RNFP. If it takes a .44 mag to do the job on grizzlies, that means neither the 357 or 10mm is adequate in grizzly turf. As for shooting a bear somewhere other than the brain or spine, it doesn't cause instant incapacitation. Meaning the bear can maim or kill you while dying if it feels like it. Most black bears will quit attacking and run if wounded. But not all. Most grizzlies would rather spend their dying seconds maiming or killing you, but a few will instead run when injured. If you expect to instantly incapacitate a bear shooting it in the shoulder, heart, or body you need a high power rifle to do that.

A rifle has limitations too. Many times an attack by a bear or cougar happens so fast or unexpectedly the animal has knocked you down and might be chewing on your arm while you struggle on the ground, your rifle still slung on your back. You probably won't be able to deploy the rifle. You can deploy a handgun faster, and also if struggling on the ground. If you are chopping wood you probably set rifle aside. But not your handgun. I think a rifle svcks for SD against bad people in the woods. The bad guy can be passing you on the trail, and just say hello and act like he is passing. Then punch you in the face and grab the rifle. The rifle is unconcealed, so its obvious how to negate it.

As for spray being the most effective-- I suspect most of the cases where people report a bear attack they stopped with spray, it was just a bluff charge the bear was using to chase the intruder away from his/her cubs, berry patch, or fishing spot. The sensible person with a gun would be waiting quietly, gun aimed at bear till it was optimally close. And the bear who was bluffing would stop and withdraw. So incident wouldn't be reported as a bear attack. I used to carry spray and a gun when walking my dog in an area I lived in Minnesota with many loose dogs, some dobermans. Biggest problem was when my b!tech was in heat. I must have sprayed dogs at least 30 times. Sometimes the dog sneezed. Not once was any dog affected enough to withdraw and leave my b!tch alone. Even when the dog got a full snoots worth from a foot away. And if there was much wind sometimes I couldn't even get the spray on the dog. Turned out that every brand of spray legal to sell to civilians or legal for civilians to own in MN was watered down stuff.
Oops, my bad. I intended to say 9mm is barely adequate for deer (I know folks that use it in carbines, I personally find it lacking at distance). Hot .357 and hot 10mm are pretty similar to .41 magnum, still nowhere near the good old .44 (which I can't shoot quickly enough to use for defensive carry).

The benefit to 10mm is you have a dense and large round that penetrates, and you have many rounds before you save the last one for yourself if Mr. Griz is feeling particularly feisty! And more importantly, you have more rounds for the more real threat... other humans that may intend harm.

Any pistol or rifle of 22 LR or bigger is plenty of Cougar medicine.
Yeah, maybe if it's treed with dogs. Odds of tagging a charging cougar in the brain bucket with a 22 while you're under extreme stress is unlikely. Odds of instantly dropping a charging big cat with a body shot using 9mm or smaller is unlikely as well. Odds of a charging predator getting to you before you can put it down with an undersized caliber... pretty likely. Point being, no way I personally would ever go out in predator country with a 22 and feel safe.

I smacked a happily grazing muley in the heart with 300blk at 50 yards and he still walked another 75 before he laid down. That scenario made me re-think my predator carry caliber. If that happy little vegetarian can walk another 75 yards after having his life pump blown up, what's a pissed off big cat or bear capable of. I'll never be in the vicinity of predators with less than 10mm.

Yeah, maybe if it's treed with dogs. Odds of tagging a charging cougar in the brain bucket with a 22 while you're under extreme stress is unlikely. Odds of instantly dropping a charging big cat with a body shot using 9mm or smaller is unlikely as well. Odds of a charging predator getting to you before you can put it down with an undersized caliber... pretty likely. Point being, no way I personally would ever go out in predator country with a 22 and feel safe.

I smacked a happily grazing muley in the heart with 300blk at 50 yards and he still walked another 75 before he laid down. That scenario made me re-think my predator carry caliber. If that happy little vegetarian can walk another 75 yards after having his life pump blown up, what's a pissed off big cat or bear capable of. I'll never be in the vicinity of predators with less than 10mm.
Think of an adult street urchin high on crack and very upset, then quadruple the strength.

Think of an adult street urchin high on crack and very upset, then quadruple the strength.
As funny as that is...

It brings up a valid point. How many times have we heard stories of cracked out humans being pumped full of 9mm and still goin'... People aren't crap compared to a big game predator. So yeah, caliber me up scotty.

As funny as that is...

It brings up a valid point. How many times have we heard stories of cracked out humans being pumped full of 9mm and still goin'... People aren't crap compared to a big game predator. So yeah, caliber me up scotty.
I recently picked up a Colt Anaconda (the new model) and I have to say, it's not bad shooting 300 grain hard cast bear loads. Very stout, but manageable. Of course, the gun weighs almost 4 pounds, and the grip is very comfortable. It's actually noticeably more pleasant than the last 10mm that I shot.

I recently picked up a Colt Anaconda (the new model) and I have to say, it's not bad shooting 300 grain hard cast bear loads. Very stout, but manageable. Of course, the gun weighs almost 4 pounds, and the grip is very comfortable. It's actually noticeably more pleasant than the last 10mm that I shot.
That seems like a heavy hittin' beotch... What was the last 10mm you shot?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top