JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tiger umbrella. Pop it open and charge the lion.
1708709126915.png

Bruce

Last Edited:
What if the cougar is in heat?
Then prepare for a terrifying experience! Hopefully she's not packing heat! All joking aside I have come across mountain lions and black bears I've caught in traps that where in heat, with a male close bye ready to breed them. They die just the same in a trap or not, definitely gets the blood pumping

I hate to ruin the pissin' match here, but back to the original post.
9mm: perfectly adequate
.357 mag: better
41 mag: better still
44 mag: " "
454 casull: " "
etc, etc, etc
Assuming you shoot all equally well, and can and will actually carry bigger heavier guns as readily as smaller lighter guns, and can conceal carry all equally well, and can shoot all equally fast, and can shoot heavy hard recoiling guns such as the Casull one handed with either hand in case predator is already chewing on the other arm, and all give you the same number of shots. And assuming you only need be concerned about cougars, not also bears which hang around in the same places. All those assumptions are false for all or nearly all shooters.

There is no such simple linear pattern of excellence of calibers for SD against cougars. Comparing any two guns and calibers for cougar SD is a matter of trade-offs. And the individual shooter and the situation override all. For example, given my druthers I would prefer to meet a cougar with my 629-3 6.5" .44 mag carrying bear loads, which have hardcast round nose bullets with wide flat noses, actually mid-power .44 mag loads, about 1,000 ft. lbs. I can shoot these well including one handed with either hand. However full power loads of 1100 - 1200 ft lbs are more than I can control shooting one handed. Since I consider being able to fire a SD gun well with either hand essential, this means Casull is more than I could handle in a 6 or 7.5" gun without porting. And I hate ported guns. And shorter barrel or lighter .44s with their harder recoil would not work for me either. .41 mag is out because I don't hand load. Some of my concealed carry requires carrying in a fanny pack. For this I use a 686-4 snubby .357. A mid size 9mm would also work, and I recently bought a CZ P07. But I'm way more experienced with and confident in my abilities with my 686.

I've shot a bunch of larger critters with the 9mm.. hog, deer, coyote, probably forgetting some others. No brain shots, not one got away.
Anyway, a friend of mine, long ago got him a 9mm and a boner to shoot a deer with it back home in Idaho. I told him like ten times not to use jmj/hardball. When he got back I grilled him and he confessed he'd used fmj and the deer got away, never found. I scolded the turd pretty harshly.

Assuming you shoot all equally well, and can and will actually carry bigger heavier guns as readily as smaller lighter guns, and can conceal carry all equally well, and can shoot all equally fast, and can shoot heavy hard recoiling guns such as the Casull one handed with either hand in case predator is already chewing on the other arm, and all give you the same number of shots. And assuming you only need be concerned about cougars, not also bears which hang around in the same places. All those assumptions are false for all or nearly all shooters.

There is no such simple linear pattern of excellence of calibers for SD against cougars. Comparing any two guns and calibers for cougar SD is a matter of trade-offs. And the individual shooter and the situation override all. For example, given my druthers I would prefer to meet a cougar with my 629-3 6.5" .44 mag carrying bear loads, which have hardcast round nose bullets with wide flat noses, actually mid-power .44 mag loads, about 1,000 ft. lbs. I can shoot these well including one handed with either hand. However full power loads of 1100 - 1200 ft lbs are more than I can control shooting one handed. Since I consider being able to fire a SD gun well with either hand essential, this means Casull is more than I could handle in a 6 or 7.5" gun without porting. And I hate ported guns. And shorter barrel or lighter .44s with their harder recoil would not work for me either. .41 mag is out because I don't hand load. Some of my concealed carry requires carrying in a fanny pack. For this I use a 686-4 snubby .357. A mid size 9mm would also work, and I recently bought a CZ P07. But I'm way more experienced with and confident in my abilities with my 686.
There aren't many defensive situations one can't handle with a 686.

I've shot a bunch of larger critters with the 9mm.. hog, deer, coyote, probably forgetting some others. No brain shots, not one got away.
Anyway, a friend of mine, long ago got him a 9mm and a boner to shoot a deer with it back home in Idaho. I told him like ten times not to use jmj/hardball. When he got back I grilled him and he confessed he'd used fmj and the deer got away, never found. I scolded the turd pretty harshly.
Long story short, I had a legal opportunity to shoot a buck and I didn't have a rifle. I did have my 1911 in 45 and was shooting 230 gr hollow points. Unfortunately I noticed it wasn't quite a legal shot, because I was standing on the pavement. Oh, well.

There aren't many defensive situations one can't handle with a 686.

Long story short, I had a legal opportunity to shoot a buck and I didn't have a rifle. I did have my 1911 in 45 and was shooting 230 gr hollow points. Unfortunately I noticed it wasn't quite a legal shot, because I was standing on the pavement. Oh, well.
Cool story bro.

Unfortunately I noticed it wasn't quite a legal shot, because I was standing on the pavement. Oh, well.
No judgement here. Heck, I might have said "Oh, well." myself. But I wouldn't "out" myself on social media like that. Those game wardens make a lot of busts off of social media posting. :s0062:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top