JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello there, I'm pretty new to these forums. I have never been to this place..I am familiar with the area though. Is it pretty obvious from the road where it is? I just bought a pistol at the gunshow and I want to give it a try today after work. Anybody have a lat:long location for the shooting area?

Thanks

Hello there, I'm pretty new to these forums. I have never been to this place..I am familiar with the area though. Is it pretty obvious from the road where it is? I just bought a pistol at the gunshow and I want to give it a try today after work. Anybody have a lat:long location for the shooting area?

Thanks

Hi there, and welcome. It is very obvious where the road is. You drive about 10 minutes past Estacada and its a green bridge on the right. You can't miss it. The shooting areas are also very very clear.

I'm heading up there later this afternoon, if you see a big lifted Grand Cherokee flag me down. I just bought a new pistol too and a Saiga 12 at the gunshow and I'm eager to fire off a few rounds.

I plan on being up there and ready to send rounds down range by 6am. Don't know of any law to keep me from starting that early. Anyone want to join me? I plan on shooting for about 3 hours.

Well... I don't know of any laws but I do know that there are some camp grounds in the area. So...you may find yourself with a pissed off camper. Just letting you know :)

If the sun is out I would be shooting. I don't think you would would make anybody upset all the way up there. I don't recall seeing any campgrounds near the quarry up there. People go hunting early in the morning all the time anyway.

I'm just going by what a Forest Ranger had told me. I was told that was the reason why they do not like people shooting in the area for the first 6.8 miles. Because of campers and Hwy 224. But the pit puts the bullets in a safe angle of direction with a good safe back stop.

10am sounds good, especially since Saturday is the only day I don't work, so it would be nice to sleep in. My wife says we're busy all day celebrating my birthday, so its early or not at all.

I'm just going by what a Forest Ranger had told me. I was told that was the reason why they do not like people shooting in the area for the first 6.8 miles. Because of campers and Hwy 224. But the pit puts the bullets in a safe angle of direction with a good safe back stop.

This is purely due to stray bullets, not sound.

6am is totally legal/acceptable up there. The rules signs (when you could read them before rednecks shot at them) just say you can't be there overnight.

just got back from the gravel pit shown in the pics - wow what a garbage dump. If there are groups that clean that up please PM me I will definitely help.

I took my gf up there it was soo funny. She has never shot a gun before so I took my 22 rifle for her to play around with which she quickly grew bored of. She wanted to shoot my other guns AR and AK as well as some others - she looked bad *** with a 44 mag. in her hand.

anyway. My GF who is NOT a red neck or trailer trash saw an abandoned couch on the side of the road on the drive back and said, "we should take that up to the pit and shoot it." Well, a redneck is born every minute I suppose.

I've been up there three times now. Not too far from home, and ALOT cheaper than joining a club... I have a couple of questions, based on what i have seen while up there.

1.) is it "OK" to shoot gas cans filled with, I assume ..Gas, to make a big Fireball?
2.) of the three times I have been there, I was the only person I noticed that cleans up spent shells (obviously I don't get all of it, but I try) I use the suggestions I saw in this thread about using a tarp to shoot on.

One more thing, I am what they call... Cheap... so I make my own targets... and I found a really easy way to make a good highly visable target that even 22lr holes stand out from as far as 40 yds. If anyone is interested i'll post my method.

Shoot Stright!
Eric

I've been up there three times now. Not too far from home, and ALOT cheaper than joining a club... I have a couple of questions, based on what i have seen while up there.

1.) is it "OK" to shoot gas cans filled with, I assume ..Gas, to make a big Fireball?
2.) of the three times I have been there, I was the only person I noticed that cleans up spent shells (obviously I don't get all of it, but I try) I use the suggestions I saw in this thread about using a tarp to shoot on.

One more thing, I am what they call... Cheap... so I make my own targets... and I found a really easy way to make a good highly visable target that even 22lr holes stand out from as far as 40 yds. If anyone is interested i'll post my method.

Shoot Stright!
Eric

Yes it is illegal to shoot gas cans or propane to make a fire ball. that will actually get the place closed.

Hardly anyone cleans up. the sad thing is you can go up there daily and clean and it will still look like crap. it is just used to much by people who do not care. As long as someone cleans up, others start. But it definitely needs a good group cleaning.

If i had more time i would start planning and organizing one. Maybe in a few weeks if things slow down. But if someone wants to plan a group shoot and clean up I would attend.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top