JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Cogs .....
@Old Noob

Did your thumbs up on Wildcat mean mean yes ?

Does Wildcat require 4x4 this time of year ?
Thumbs up is a Yes from me. (As far as I know). When I talked with USFS, last year, they said it would stay open, but I haven't been there since last summer. I'm not sure of the snow conditions, but when there's no snow you can easily drive up there is a standard car (yes, that includes a Prius!).

I'm not sure how far up you're thinking, but unless something has changed, the Mt. Hood National forest is completely closed to target shooting.
I never saw this anywhere. Where did you get this from? Link? I see nothing in current or past MHNF alerts. Wildfire season closure, sure. Clackamas River Ranger District has closed off a larger area to target shooting, not the entire Mt Hood National Forest. Check with specific ranger districts as to their closure areas.

Last Edited:
I never saw this anywhere. Where did you get this from? Link? I see nothing in current or past MHNF alerts. Wildfire season closure, sure. Clackamas River Ranger District has closed off a larger area to target shooting, not the entire Mt Hood National Forest. Check with specific ranger districts as to their closure areas.
Looked like they've changed it.

Looked like they've changed it.
They sure make it rough to figure out where that is. No road names. You have to search other maps to figure it out. Perhaps if you are very familiar with the area, you'd know exactly where the closed spot it. I kinda think the Wildcat shooting area is just North of the closed area, but I don't have time to track it down right now.

Here's a screen shot of the closed area at Wildcat Mtn (from the link above):

Closure area at Wildcat Mtn.png

Thumbs up is a Yes from me. (As far as I know). When I talked with USFS, last year, they said it would stay open, but I haven't been there since last summer. I'm not sure of the snow conditions, but when there's no snow you can easily drive up there is a standard car (yes, that includes a Prius!).

@Cogs
.(yes, that includes a Prius!)

I don't need to go shoot that bad.
Think of it as bringing your own moving shooting target!

Good thing you've never been up Schit Creek, because nobody brings a paddle with them when target shooting.
I got to blow up some trees up there back in '83 to create habitat for the Salmon and hazards for the fishermen. I left the P-town metro area in about '95 and haven't looked back. Even in the late '80's Fish creek area was getting pretty trashed, and had lots of dumped and burned cars out there.

Back in the day we'd go up Fish Creek, probably can't do that anymore I suppose.
The fish Creek road, up top, on the old air field. That area was a crap hole. People living up there, surrounded by garbage. There are several places to shoot. We did a clean-up up there a few years ago. mind boggling how trashy people are. I have a feeling anything off the main pavement is still closed. No longer public forest IMO, other than being able to drive some places.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews