JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Take I-205 to hwy 212/224 exit.Take hwy 224 to Estacada (212 and 224 split, take the right fork). Stay on 224 past Estacada, past the North Fork Reservoir to the first bridge (green). Cross over the river and drive UP the narrow, twisty road for about 6 to 7 miles. The large gravel pit will be on your left. You cannot miss it!

I would imagine it's still open and used, frequently! The members of NWF did a clean-up there in April. There is a link available somewhere if you google to make sure the area is open to shooting currently.

If you go, only shoot in legal areas, if you didn't know you can't shoot anywhere between the Clack highway and about seven miles up at the large gavel pit.

Have fun and maybe take a garbage bag or two to help clean up after the pigs that have certainly been there since April.

Mike

Shame we can't simply put those guys in said garbage bags, and haul them out of the spot. Thanks for the info, I will be sure to keep myself legal, and bring a few bags to help out. Our forests are too nice to junk up with trash, I swear I will never understand the mindset of some folks.

I was up there a few weeks ago, and it looked like somebody had done a great job cleaning up trash. Thank you, whoever you are.
The illegal shooting sights are still ugly and are an embarrassment to the overwhelming majority of responsible gun owners.

I had stopped going up there about six years ago. I was just so sick of all the people coming from out of town and leaving all of there trash behind.
I ask anyone that is going up there to shoot please take out at least one bag of trash for ever person you bring. And if the gravel pit is clean stop at one of the other sites and pick up trash. I have seen where you can't see the ground there is so much trash.We will loose this site if people don't start doing that more often. They have been talking about closing it down for years.

Does anyone know if the gravel pit at Memaloose is still open to shooting?
Thanks,
Jim

I think it is, but there are restrictions for the surrounding areas. Stop by the Estacada RD to get the specific info or visit the Mt. Hood National Forest web page (they actually have a target shooting brochure available online, and it has maps for all of the closures).

I think it is, but there are restrictions for the surrounding areas. Stop by the Estacada RD to get the specific info or visit the Mt. Hood National Forest web page (they actually have a target shooting brochure available online, and it has maps for all of the closures).

I looked on their website and I find this
https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5433851.pdf
can't tell from that map if the gravel pit is in the "can't shoot" zone?

Are you saying that's Fish Creek campground ZigZag? How about some co-ordinates. Click the map here: http://mapper.acme.com/
http://mapper.acme.com/
Like if you copy-paste these N 45.15935 W 122.18239 into the blank spot Lower right hand corner "find" you get Carver Bridge Gravel Pit right off NF-45.

Upper right hand corner will get you the toggle for Satellite and Map.

The fire is not near the gravel pit or the road that leads to it. It's 1.5 miles east of the campground that's .5 mile east of FR-45.
According to today's KGW news: "Home homeowners are preparing for possible evacuation Monday, as a forest fire sparked by target shooters continues to steadily grow southeast of Estacada".

"Detectives told KGW the forest fire originated near a gravel pit where people go to practice target shooting".

I really hope not. Geez!

This fire was from an ODOT pit on highway 224 milepost 36. It spread from there and may have overrun the Helion Pit aka Memaloose. 224 is closed well before the Forest boundary so nothing is accessible up from Estacada right now.

Estacada Rod and Gun Club is a good option for people to sight in a rifle

Public sight-in days: For hunting rifle or legal hunting handgun; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekends; continues weekdays through Oct. 5; Estacada Rod & Gun Club, 23400 S.E. Eagle Creek Road, Estacada. Cost: $5 per gun (includes target); ear protection required and available on site. Contact: 503-241-4214.

Last Edited:
Since the gravel pit is closed down while they clean up the mess the fire made, I was wondering if there's anywhere close to it that you can go shooting? Or in the serounding areas (Colton, mollala, etc) I don't want to have to sight In my guns and all that bs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top