JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How many people train there dogs not to take steak from a stranger?
Sure go ahead and say 'well my dog would never..' but really how many?
My rot would act like she was going to eat you till the treats came out

My pooch is there to make noise. If all the doors are closed and locked he won't be eating nothing. That's what we pay him for. He's also a part time mental patient. Some days he's as smart as Einstein, other days he's Rainman. Lol.

Last Edited:
I agree with the Get a Dog idea. My Dogs make one heck of a racket when there is a Bump in the night! All I can say, if you know I have dogs, and still try and break in, Your dead, plain and simple!!! If you get past the dogs, then you gotta deal with me or the wife, your better off with me:)

About eight years ago my dog died on a Saturday following Monday our house got robbed. Sometimes it is good to not know too much information such as who did that to a member of my family.

I've been taking some serious consideration into get an alarm and/or a camera system.

I'm probably going with the Simplysafe and a camera system.

Unfortunately my dog has some severe anxiety and separation issues so when we leave the house she gets locked in a kennel.

She's intimidating, but not so much when she's in a cage.

I think the fella was alerted somehow and no dog (? didn't read).. otherwise no shot would have happened. So enough on how a dog would have saved him.
Cooper was big on hard physical security (read castle style "star" footprint of the structure) and serious doors, "windows", locks, yadda.. especially in the sleeping chamber.. with a dog.. to wake you and perhaps tie-up the aggressor a bit.
But at least a nice 10,000 word article was generated to convey "fail". lol
The story in its entirety should read, "Now, instead of Brits holding up two fingers in defiance, they are expected and required to bend over". yay. vote

How anybody would not have an alarm system at their home in todays world is beyond me. After 2 break ins at my home shop, and a smash and grab at the store, I installed simpli safe.

Entry point sensors, motion sensors, panic alarms, smoke alarms and remote monitoring. I set the whole house and shop up for $ 600 in hardware, installed it myself in about 3 hours and $ 24.99 per month for monitoring. Cell and e mails for every activation, open and close. I can turn it on and off from my phone.

I am now installing a camera system with remote monitoring as well. Might have $ 500 into that when done. We lost the best part of our security plan 3 weeks ago when our beloved Aussie Shepard died. You could have offered that dog a steak with chocolate syrup on it, and if he did not know you, and after that if he did not like you, he would not take it and probably try and rip your hand off for offering it to him. He trusted a close few people and strangers not at all. We still have our grand dog German Shepard a couple days / nights per week, and she is protection trained so we are good there.

As far as the whole shotgun thing goes, wasting the time to rack a shell probably got you killed or beaten anyway. The perps have already breached at least a minimum one level, (two if you have a dog) of security that you should have had in place, and are already advancing in your personal space so the advantage is theirs to begin with.

SimpliSafe: Home Security Systems

I really wish people would stop suggesting a big dog as if it's the be all end all. Testing has showed that unless you have a professionally trained security dog, he or she will likely just lay down for the intruder. A news organization hired some people to do a test of this years ago. You can google it.

If I was sound asleep I wouldn't hear a thump outside my bedroom door, and if it did wake me up...then I wouldn't be sound asleep...o_O...wait, uhhh, what was the question again?o_O

Just kidding! But, with at least 2 limited english speaking girls living with us at any given time as exchange students...
...first thing I'd need to do is make sure one of them wasn't the thumpee.

I trained my first Doberman to eat only on command! What a PITA!
I never bothered again! The dog was in the house, I would never let him out to confront anyone, sweet as that sounds! :D Remember, you are no less responsible for your dog than your bullet! Just a matter of degree, if you send your dog out and it kills some especially, deserving low life, probably going to ruin your life! You're dog will be executed too! :( Inside the walls he can fight if he needs while I come to his aid! That will be in about one second!

I've been taking some serious consideration into get an alarm and/or a camera system.

I'm probably going with the Simplysafe and a camera system.

Unfortunately my dog has some severe anxiety and separation issues so when we leave the house she gets locked in a kennel.

She's intimidating, but not so much when she's in a cage.
Our dogs would be worthless as attack but they seldom seem to miss noise. They are great for getting my attention when I am sleeping and someone shows up. The cameras are GREAT now days. The tech has gotten so damn cheap and easy to use. One part I loved when Wife bought ours. I sleep days. Now when the dogs raise hell I can just pick up my phone and see what's there. If it's someone wanting to sell me god I just go back to sleep. if it's FedEx with more ammo I get up and get the package. :D

Good advice there ... always be sure of who or what the "thumpee" is.
Andy
That is why my "Go too" house gun has a nice light on it with a pressure switch. A LOT of people told me that was a mistake. I just tell them fine it's staying on there. I keep a few lights around so I can see at night but if there is an outage and it's totally dark I want to see what I shoot first. Not after I sent the round. It's a risk I will take that some dobad will shoot at the light which is what a few keep telling me will happen.

LOL, yea my male does not like ANYONE but family. Offer him food though and he stops barking at least long enough to take it. Then the noise starts again. :rolleyes:

There is NO "Be all end all". If someone wants your stuff enough they will get it. You can put up simple noise makers, marbles on the floor, a chair under the door knob all the way up to what ever Kim Kardashian had in France. Oh that didn't work out for her. Or you can do nothing and hope for the best. That actually works for most of America but I don't roll that way. I put a little effort into keeping my home safe. I walk to my car with my keys in hand and I usually have something made of metal on me.

Life has shown there are too many people willing to take large risks for small rewards. Here's something else I've learned over time. Not all crime is reported! Especially in upscale areas. It doesn't help property values. Having family and friend in law enforcement being told that bodies turn up, attacks, home invasions in good neighborhoods rarely make the news.

There is NO "Be all end all". If someone wants your stuff enough they will get it. You can put up simple noise makers, marbles on the floor, a chair under the door knob all the way up to what ever Kim Kardashian had in France. Oh that didn't work out for her. Or you can do nothing and hope for the best. That actually works for most of America but I don't roll that way. I put a little effort into keeping my home safe. I walk to my car with my keys in hand and I usually have something made of metal on me.

Life has shown there are too many people willing to take large risks for small rewards. Here's something else I've learned over time. Not all crime is reported! Especially in upscale areas. It doesn't help property values. Having family and friend in law enforcement being told that bodies turn up, attacks, home invasions in good neighborhoods rarely make the news.

YES. I have long told people this when it comes to a gun safe. Most of us can't afford a vault that you would find at the local bank. Wish I could. When I hear some say xyz gun safe is worthless, look at this video................ I just say anything is better than having the guns sitting in the master bedroom closet with a bow on them. Everyone has to make up their own mind on personal protection the same way. Some choose to play the odds and do nothing. That is not for me but if they choose that, well it may work out for them or not. :rolleyes:

I really wish people would stop suggesting a big dog as if it's the be all end all. Testing has showed that unless you have a professionally trained security dog, he or she will likely just lay down for the intruder. A news organization hired some people to do a test of this years ago. You can google it.
If you'd like to do your own " testing" on Fred , I suggest you wear HEAVY pants and keep your hands away from his mouth.... especially if he wakes up :p
Ive been bitten by enough dogs to know that testing is pure crap.

i only want my dog to bark so that I am aware someone is there. I will own the responsibilty of resolving the arkward social momment from there.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews