JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have read reviews on the Ruger Security 9 model and Security 9 Compact model. At this point in my bit of research, I'm not sure which I would choose to possibly replace the EAA Witness P9 which I've had for many years. Maybe I just have the itch for a new handgun. Have you shot either or both Security 9 models?

I had the Sec9 C model and I like the way it looked felt and its bang switch.

The problem was it was a jam-o-matic every magazine gave me numerous FTE's to the point I stopped counting after 15 attempts. When it did shoot it ran fine but then quickly started locking up again. Even hikok45 had the same issue. No this isn't me bashing ruger either, I put my Gen3 Glock 26 right next to it and my GF's shield neither of which had an issue so it wasn't the batch of ammo. I had prior stripped the gun down and cleaned/lubed it and didn't notice anything missing or defective. Others around the web have had problems with it too.

6:15 mark. 6:20 it happens. Again at the 11:40 mark.

This is what happened to mine to many times to consider keeping it.

Hope you don't get a Lemon and get one that actually works properly. It could be a great gun but I ain't gambling on one again. Ruger lost me just like SIG 320 did when it decided to toss a guide rod out of the frame while shooting.

If you are looking for a budget gat in the $300-400 range I'd say try to find:

Gen3 Glock 26/19
Beretta APX any model
M&P 1.0 or 2.0 on copsurp
Canik TP series
Mossberg MC2C - is gaining good reviews

Last Edited:
Thanks for your review. It's always good to hear actual experiences with a particular firearm. I guess Rugers are kind of like Fords. Some years and models ran better than others, and some continue to run like my older Ranger.

Did you contact Ruger? I had a P95 that after 50 rounds failed to function. It took two returns to Ruger to get it right but Ruger took care of me. Ruger paid the shipping both times. Ruger has great customer service , I would buy a Shield before any other sub compact.

Thanks for your review. It's always good to hear actual experiences with a particular firearm. I guess Rugers are kind of like Fords. Some years and models ran better than others, and some continue to run like my older Ranger.

Hey no problem, I almost always on the hunt for a new carry piece and like to play around to see what works for me and what does not. Online reviews sometimes lack much detail beyond its a nice gun that I only put 50 rounds thru. Or if any/many at all. YMMV

Did you contact Ruger? I had a P95 that after 50 rounds failed to function. It took two returns to Ruger to get it right but Ruger took care of me. Ruger paid the shipping both times. Ruger has great customer service , I would buy a Shield before any other sub compact.

Nah I got rid of it at a pawn shop and recoup'd a little cash for my troubles. If it doesn't inspire confidence or faith in its operation to make me feel safe using it for CC it doesn't stay in my storage. I gave the SIG another chance before losing interest and I did the same with my M&P Shield in 45. I just can't let that sour taste of a lemon sit with me.

my truck gun Ruger SR9C was a jam-o-matic..sent it in to Ruger, came back and still jammed.
My gunshop, who won't carry Ruger semi's because of their jamming issues across the models, graciously took it in trade towards their reccomended Taurus G2, which sells for around $230, and has been absolutely reliable regardless of what ammo run through it..factory, reloads, hardball, hollow point..
I own some Glocks and Sig's, and that inexpensive Taurus G2 is as reliable as any of them.

I have actually seen and heard many reviews praising the Taurus G2C which is odd to think a semi auto of theirs in modern gets praise. Then again I think their PT series got good praise outside their revolvers.

There is plenty of good handguns in the $400 or less range today. Almost forgot about the Walther CREED. Canik has the ONE series where you get the Gun and one magazine. Shields are very popular as well.

Take down a Taurus G2 and Glock together and pretty much identical. And why wouldn't Taurus copy the most reliable semi of the past 40 years...
the owner of my gunshop is a highly respected gunsmith who has sold over 200 G2's without a single return. Taurus hired a new CEO a few years back who has turned the company around, ugrading existing and building new plants to ISO standards.
If I see a Taurus model I want, semi or revolver, would not hesitate to buy one.

I've had a Security 9 for a couple of years. Developed a failure to extract issue at about 2000 rounds. Contacted Ruger and they offered to take it in but suggested it was a faulty extractor and would send me one if I prefered. I had a new extractor in a couple of days. No issues since but I only have 500-600 rounds through it so far.

I've read a lot about similar issues, I wonder if they had a bad batch of extractors? Otherwise, I like the erergonomics and the accuracy is decent.

I was concerned after reading through the comments above and seeing the recommendations to get a Taurus instead.
Since this thread was a couple years old had to go back and read them again. Looks like a couple people said they got a problem. I don't remember seeing a lot of talk of these having problems last couple years. Also one of the negative comments was this:

<my truck gun Ruger SR9C was a jam-o-matic..sent it in to Ruger, came back and still jammed.
My gunshop, who won't carry Ruger semi's because of their jamming issues across the models,>

When someone makes a claim like this I immediately think they are trying to sound smart and have no clue. Almost no gun maker never turns out some problem children. Color me skeptical when someone claims a shop will not sell Ruger though. So I toss that opinion out thinking this is more likely someone who never even owned the gun they claim.
So bottom line if I was in the market for a base model 9 and someone was offering one of these for $250? I would give it a shot. In the years since a few people claimed they got a bad one they have no doubt sold multiple K's of these guns and I don't remember seeing floods of angry customers saying they are junk to avoid. The one upside to something like this is the Co is still making them. So even buying it used if it does not work and the fix it not easy to find at home you could still send it to them and still have a decent deal price wise. My bet would be the pistol will just work. odds are heavily in favor that it would.