Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

You must pay to play

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by speeddemon94, Apr 15, 2013.

1. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Southern Oregon man Jailed for collecting rainwater with out a permit. That really frys my ***. So, you have your property, which you paid for, but you must still pay rent to the state, and you cant do anything you would like to because you don't really own it. I have always thought that was so stupid. Lord forbid you have any self reliance. This comes back to the personal responsibility discussion and why no one has it. The state will attend to all of your needs.

Oregon man in Possession of 13 Million Gallons of Illicit Rainwater Sentenced to Jail | Next News Network (N3)

2. CascadeSam

CascadeSam Portland Oregon Active Member

Jailed? Not just slapped on the wrist or fined? Incredible. Collecting the rainwater that falls on your land is yours. What's next; using drones to bust water-thieves stealing the state's rainwater that falls onto their roof?

3. jfw

jfw Clackamas county Active Member

Wow, that is out if control. This boggles the mind.

4. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

5. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

13 million gallons? Holy crap.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. John H

John H Whatcom County Well-Known Member

You can thank the indian's for that.

They sued many times for control of the water.

7. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

I feel for the guy to some extent, and if he was saving the water that falls on his roof, in a barrel it would be one thing.
    But he's not.
    And, he bought property in a designated municipal watershed.

And, this isn't the first time. He'd been warned about it before.

Maybe he'll learn this time, or buy a different piece of property that's NOT in a watershed.

There are some things ya just gotta be smart about, and this is one instance where the guy made a big mistake, or was just a little too arrogant blowing off TPTB.

8. speeddemon94

Thing about a watershed, is that all TPTB has to do is designate the hill you live on as one.

The city of Portland made a friend of mine remove rainwater collection barrels from his house, or be fined and have them removed. The house is elevated and not able to be seen from the road.

I could see if the guy was interfering with others down the hill from him, but I don't think that's the case.

The point is, they incarcerated a person for collecting rainwater. TPTB do not like self reliance and obviously will go further and further to discourage it. Water may be a public resource, but collecting rain should not be in any sort of purview of the government.

Jail is definitely not warranted for this garbage. Put a criminal in jail, not this guy.

9. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

They would have fits if they saw my rainwater collection setup.

10. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

From the article,
    Who writes these things!?
    Answer: Gary Franchi

In any case, I could see how collecting that much water could be problematic to the lay of the land. Even if he has 170 acres.

Also,
    Water Trivia Facts | Drinking Water | US EPA

11. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

He should have read the material provided to him by the title company when he bought the place.
    The Big Butte Creek watershed has been in place since the middle of the 20th century.
    His current battle over water issues has been on-going for 10 years or so.

12. speeddemon94

Yeah, he is out on Crowfoot Road...That would be real borderline Big Butte, from what I can tell looking at maps that I have access to.

715px-Big_Butte_Creek_Watershed.png

13. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You would have fits if you knew how many times I peed in your collection setup! ;)