JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The title is a joke but I did have to sit for a certification exam today and I had my gun on me. They make you put all your belongings in a locker and then check you with a metal detector. My thought was well this is going to be an interesting conversation. But the detector didn't alert with my Glock 17 on my hip. My first thought is that the detector doesn't work and is just for show. Surely with the barrel, slide and bullets there is plenty of metal to alert on; otherwise, I guess you can take plastics guns thru metal detectors.

The title is a joke but I did have to sit for a certification exam today and I had my gun on me. They make you put all your belongings in a locker and then check you with a metal detector. My thought was well this is going to be an interesting conversation. But the detector didn't alert with my Glock 17 on my hip. My first thought is that the detector doesn't work and is just for show. Surely with the barrel, slide and bullets there is plenty of metal to alert on; otherwise, I guess you can take plastics guns thru metal detectors.

That was a one in a Billion Fluke.

It wasn't a fluke, Glocks aren't real guns.

2ezmfy8.jpg

Metal Detectors are electrical objects. Most Electrical Objects need calibration at times.

I once, happened to be in Lane County Courthouse, before the inspection desk opened up, I watched the calibration being set, ~Then Tested~ so they "knew" what would set it off.

Your odds of getting through a Well Tuned detector are not good with that much metal. I have forgotten a couple coins in the "fifth pocket" in my jeans, and got sour looks, and the wand.

Whatever certification you were getting, they did not have proper equipment inspectors on the metal detector... They can be tuned, to the point that wire supports in Bras will set them off, that is not much wire...

I was in an 8 hour class to do inside Penitentiary work, all were told the levels of "set off" points... And one woman was not allowed in, wire support bra could not be her undergarment, and they would not let her in without a "hold em down" device ;) so, after 8 hours of training she could not do it right????

Just letting you know, you were lucky....

philip

Its a late night in the BoonDocks, and ~All~ is Not well ....

One of the "trends" going on is "mass spectrometers" and they will ping on unusual masses affixed outside the body regardless of what material it is.

Pretty soon the only option will be the ol' "prison keister" method so you better start doing your "special stretching" excerises if you want to sneak a Glock past them! ;)

I basically got stripped searched back in 2009 by the lovely TSA for a empty gum wrapper. It is like they have nothing better to do than harass some kid on the way back from disney land for a piece of gum.

Thanks BoonDocks, I didn't know the detector could vary that much. I really don't think the wand was working or was off at time. She was waving it around like it was Harry Potter's magic wand so I got the feeling it was more of a feel good measure. To be clear this isn't to find weapons but was rather to ensure that that you didn't take anything into the testing area that would allow you to cheat. I had a flashback to the time my doctor told me to take my shirt off at a visit and the conversation that ensued. It was awkward but uneventful and in the end was asked to explain why I carry a gun without any hysteria.

I basically got stripped searched back in 2009 by the lovely TSA for a empty gum wrapper. It is like they have nothing better to do than harass some kid on the way back from disney land for a piece of gum.

Maybe they thought you were McGuyver.... A gum wrapper in his hands only needs a paper clip, two grains of sand, and urine to make a tac-nuke! ;)

One of the "trends" going on is "mass spectrometers" and they will ping on unusual masses affixed outside the body regardless of what material it is.

Pretty soon the only option will be the ol' "prison keister" method so you better start doing your "special stretching" excerises if you want to sneak a Glock past them! ;)

Didn't some meth head chick get busted with a hangun (thinking small revolver) hidden in her crotch? I also thought that most detectors checked for object in/out of the body that had the same density of polymer/metals?

Probably the best option, then, would be to go with a "Baby" Glock, rather than a full-sized one! OUCH! ;)

So, I don't want to give anyone any bad ideas and such, but a metal detector can be adjusted by the operator or user. What I mean by that is that if it is set soooo sensitive it can pick up things like piercings, coins, anything metal which is pretty annoying for the security staff. This one may have been adjusted a little too much, so much so that your pistol was not picked up. It happens.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top