JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Edit: replaced photo with link to Dave Howard's letter to editor at the oregonlive website. It looks like his letter has generated over 500 comments.

Readers respond: Gun permit bill too extreme

Letter by Dave Howard:

I was gobsmacked at the introduction of Senate Bill 501 ("Oregon proposal would require gun owners to obtain permits," Jan. 12). I wish to express my disgust at the audacity of the sponsors to smother the rights of honest citizens. I carried a firearm for nearly 30 years in defense of the innocent, the victim, the lawful -- and now? Will I become a criminal for keeping the very weapon -- magazines of which can hold more than 10 rounds -- because some people from Lake Oswego think they can stop gun violence? Are these "representatives" really so ignorant of the types, limits and capacities of the weapons already out there? The very wording of this bill inflames the most moderate of people, myself included. They have drawn the proverbial line in the sand and literally stepped over it after doing so. Dave Howard, Sherwood

Last Edited:
They should be flooded with such feedback...
Agreed and for those of us who are more social media savvy (I'm not), we should share this on our other SM platforms. This link is going on my twitter feed.

Twitter post link here:
Twitter

Edited comment to reflect replacement of link to article instead of photo.

Last Edited:
Edit: replaced photo with link to Dave Howard's letter to editor at the oregonlive website. It looks like his letter has generated over 500 comments.

Readers respond: Gun permit bill too extreme

Letter by Dave Howard:

I was gobsmacked at the introduction of Senate Bill 501 ("Oregon proposal would require gun owners to obtain permits," Jan. 12). I wish to express my disgust at the audacity of the sponsors to smother the rights of honest citizens. I carried a firearm for nearly 30 years in defense of the innocent, the victim, the lawful -- and now? Will I become a criminal for keeping the very weapon -- magazines of which can hold more than 10 rounds -- because some people from Lake Oswego think they can stop gun violence? Are these "representatives" really so ignorant of the types, limits and capacities of the weapons already out there? The very wording of this bill inflames the most moderate of people, myself included. They have drawn the proverbial line in the sand and literally stepped over it after doing so. Dave Howard, Sherwood
The article Dave Howard linked to in his letter is approaching 2000 comments: Oregon proposal would require gun owners to obtain permits

The vast majority are opposed to SB 501. That is encouraging that Oregonian readers are that fired up about this bill. Too bad that energy hasn't been more channeled towards the legislative process and elections in this State. There is hope if we can keep the fire going strong.

I have some experience "fighting city hall" on another topic, years ago. This is what I observed:

1: Most politicians care the most about their re-election, therefore, the most voices will sway them
2: They need a really good excuse to change an already-stated opinion. You have to give them one. When you email or write or call, you should give good reasons.
3: Your good reason(s) should be solid logic that can't easily be shot down
4: Never embarrass your team. Never threaten violence. Never be one of "those" people they use as justfication for confiscating your means of defense.
5: You and everyone you know should flood their phones, emails and snail-mail with communications
6: When they see which way the crowd is going, they will use some of those "good reasons" to justify voting with the crowd.
7: Therefore, MAKE A CROWD. Flood them with messages.

In summary: They must see a hurricane of polite but firm emails, phone calls and letter. The hurricane must contain lots of justification for voting YOUR WAY.

Get everyone you know to participate. Help your 90-year old grandmother.

Democrats claim to be for protecting minorities. Show them how gun control hurts minorities in every era. Are you Jewish? "I am afraid for my children" African American? Same. LGBT? Same. Any member of any group has at one time or another in the last century been persecuted. Tell them how guns even the odds between bigots and their intended victims. There are plenty of stories.

Find any reason. Then hammer them. IT IS THE FLOOD OF MAIL THAT MAKES THEM VOTE YOUR WAY . It is the quality of the mail that gives them justification for their vote.

In the case of Democrats, who are already on record, they may be able to save face by saying, "This is too extreme". Make sure you support that concept.

The article Dave Howard linked to in his letter is approaching 2000 comments: Oregon proposal would require gun owners to obtain permits

The vast majority are opposed to SB 501. That is encouraging that Oregonian readers are that fired up about this bill. Too bad that energy hasn't been more channeled towards the legislative process and elections in this State. There is hope if we can keep the fire going strong.
This is what happens when you don't vote. You get to live with the decisions of those who did. Educating the next generation used to be the job of public education. The educational process has been hijacked by union and political processes. Now it is your problem. Better solve it. A crazy wrong crowd is still a crowd.

This is what happens when you don't vote. You get to live with the decisions of those who did.
Educating the next generation used to be the job of public education. The educational process has been hijacked by union and political processes. Now it is your problem. Better solve it. A crazy wrong crowd is still a crowd.

SB501 is only one example of a continuous flow of blaming your rights for the crimes of other people.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top