JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found this post on Facebook in the Oregon Big Game Hunting group:

"Please send your thoughts and concerns to [email protected] . Demand these questions be answered.

Dear Karen Lovelace,

Thank you for sending me the results of the Northern Yellowstone Elk count. I have few questions for you?

Reading your reports and I clearly see you are making excuses for the low elk numbers but let us stop with the fairy tales and do a quick fact check.

The 2012 count was 3,915 elk. We know from MTFWP own wolf studies in Yellowstone that each wolf kills on the average 24 elk in 6 month period from November to April. That is not counting sports reflex killing or summer kills or calves slaughtered off. That is just elk slaughtered by wolves in the winter. You know when bears are hibernating and you can't blame them. So let try looking at the truth for a change instead of playing childish games of excuses to cover up the fact that wolves are destroying the elk herd and you incompetent fools are supporting the slaughter.

We take the 2012 elk number of 3915 elk minus the 2013 count you just email me of 2063 elk and we see that facts are clear. We have 1852 missing elk.

Now we check the 2013 wolf count for Yellowstone and we find an estimate of 77 wolves. 77 wolves slaughtering 24 elk per wolf and we come up with 1848 elk wiped out by wolves. It would appear wolves are indeed the problem. Isn't that strange the numbers almost match perfectly?

Here it is in simple math easy to understand.

1852 missing elk

1848 elk slaughtered by wolves

4 elk killed by bears

1852 elk dead Your count was 1852 missing elk correct?

So did Doug Smith tell you to lie and cover up the count with excuses of bad weather?

Is MTFWP so grossly incompetent in wildlife management they refuse to tell the truth about the destruction of elk herds by wolves?

You work for hunters, yes? It's your job to protect the elk herd from wanton slaughter by predators. True?

I want to know when you are going to stop lying and covering up the facts? When are you going to tell the truth that you are not doing your job protecting the elk herd? Either MT Fish Wolves and Park is full of anti hunters who are covering up the largest mass slaughter of wildlife in over 100 years or you people are so grossly incompetent you should not be working in wildlife management. Which is it? Animal rights people using wolves to destroy hunting or gross incompetence?

I am posting this on my Facebook page and spreading it to all hunters I know. They will be eagerly awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

Hunt Wolves"

I run trap lines here in OR, I have seen where yotes have taken down a deer and ate it all in about 9 hours. As a trapper I have some insight to predator behavior. I have spent hours tracking all kinds of game. The general public and even many hunters have no clue what really goes on in the wild. It will be interesting to see what happens to big game numbers here when OR outlaws trapping.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews