JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And BTW, our Soay lamb meat when it's ground makes spectacular spaghetti sauce. There's something about the Italian seasoning that just fits with the flavor of the meat.

And BTW, our Soay lamb meat when it's ground makes spectacular spaghetti sauce. There's something about the Italian seasoning that just fits with the flavor of the meat.
That's good to know and I didn't know that those sheep, as you said in an earlier post, were so easy to keep and what all. I used to live on chicken, elk.. well, everything but beef for some time.. slaughtering and butchering as many as ten sheep in a day to put up.

That's good to know and I didn't know that those sheep, as you said in an earlier post, were so easy to keep and what all. I used to live on chicken, elk.. well, everything but beef for some time.. slaughtering and butchering as many as ten sheep in a day to put up.

If you do the slaughter and butchering yourself it's really cheap, like less than $1 per pound. And the big thing is you don't have to shear them. They shed every spring. We only touch them twice a year for worming and vaccinations.

Those freaky hypnotic eyes just say "eat me".
alrighty then

wight_goatseyes.jpg

I shot a goat off the roof of my new GMC Sierra Grande 4x4 back in '79. Said goat was a gift to my wife and drove us crazy. Running up and butting people, constantly at large, seemed no pen could hold him. Got up to make coffee one cold January morn, looked out the window and saw the little bastard jump from the hood to the roof of my recently purchased $8,800 truck. One Remington 12 gauge rifled slug swept his boney asss clean off the truck. No fuss, no muss and not one spec of gore to clean off the truck, literally knocked the shat out of him though as I found several goat nuggets on the roof and in the bed.
Didn't really leave much to butcher either; just the head, 4 legs, tail, rectum, ballsack & unit, one hind quarter, one shoulder, and most of one rack of ribs.
Wife woke up when she heard the 870 go off and was actually relieved by my action and held no ill will towards me.

hmmm sounds like something to try

what does goat meat taste like? try and describe it or relate it to another meat.
I find it to be moist, mild and with a pleasant flavor. I don't know who said it, but he was right, it does not taste like chicken. I grew up 124 miles north of our southern border and it is wildly popular in Mexico. I have it in tacos, machaca and BBQ. Good stuff.

The thing about the "Okinawan Diet" is that yea, they eat a lot of greens or what and eat perhaps only 80 lbs of animal protien (pork) per annum, but they eat all of the afforded fat from the brains (cholesterol good for maleness/whatever) to the tendons etc.
And they work hard daily.. it's no big deal, twinkie bois
nevermind
I had the occasion to stop in Okinawa for about week in 1970. I am not sure that I would wish to prolong my life if I lived there.

I shot a goat off the roof of my new GMC Sierra Grande 4x4 back in '79. Said goat was a gift to my wife and drove us crazy. Running up and butting people, constantly at large, seemed no pen could hold him. Got up to make coffee one cold January morn, looked out the window and saw the little bastard jump from the hood to the roof of my recently purchased $8,800 truck. One Remington 12 gauge rifled slug swept his boney asss clean off the truck. No fuss, no muss and not one spec of gore to clean off the truck, literally knocked the shat out of him though as I found several goat nuggets on the roof and in the bed.
Didn't really leave much to butcher either; just the head, 4 legs, tail, rectum, ballsack & unit, one hind quarter, one shoulder, and most of one rack of ribs.
Wife woke up when she heard the 870 go off and was actually relieved by my action and held no ill will towards me.
OK, I don't care who you are; that's funny!

I used to backpack deep into the Bob Marshal and Bitterroot.. one time a companion was a free paper goat complete with a home stitched burlap backpack.. containing BBQ sauce. I was out for over a month.

I'm nuts about ethnic food... I tend to eat a lot of indian, persian, and mexican cuisine, of which goat is a very common ingredient. Interestingly enough I had goat taco for lunch today. Generally I would compare the flavor of goat to be similar to a lean grass-fed beef taste. Think dinty moore stew without the horrible tasting gravy. It's a bit tougher than beef usually is, but it's got good flavor. Goat curry is one of my favorite indian dishes.

The discussion earlier about someone's problem goat reminded me of this:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads