JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A small 'upside' to it being a '74 is the receiver is iron plated so It is conventionally blued as opposed to the typical post '64 - '71 processes used on the non - iron plated sintered receivers.

One of reasons for the huge number of Winchester 'Commemoratives' during the '64 - '71 time frame was it allowed them to experiment with different metal coating processes.

Last Edited:
I see absolutely no pictures of any of these rifles on this thread.

Even with pictures, we'd be guessing at values.
Looks like at least $1200 on GB. Who cares
34C9D2CE-B7FB-4DAF-AB4E-5D08DF629526.jpeg

My understanding is the pre-64 model 94s are higher value. The factory had a change in management, and undertook many cost cutting changes. Changed some parts from forged to stamped. Went to lower grades of wood for stock. Etc.

I have a Winchester Model 94 that was built in 1959. I've decided that because of it's terrible condition, I will dismantle it and refurbish the exterior. New finish on the furniture and cold blue the rest of the parts. I will never hunt with this rifle. It will eventually get sold along with most of my other firearms. Would you invest the time and effort or would you just sell it as is. I would rate it in fair condition.

If "terrible condition" means bluing worn off and small dings in the wood, keep it as is. If terrible condition means rust that is a different situation. Refinishing a lever gun usually kills the market value.

Refinishing a lever gun usually kills the market value.
Ditto this ! And quite often you will have more into the refurbish than you will get out of it - which could be less than if you did nothing.

My 1899 'Klondike' Mod 94 has been 'unofficially' rated at high fair, low good and I have it for sale in the rifle classifieds if you want to look at it as a comparison.

1899.jpg

Last Edited:
If "terrible condition" means bluing worn off and small dings in the wood, keep it as is. If terrible condition means rust that is a different situation. Refinishing a lever gun usually kills the market value.
The "terrible" condition has to do with the fact that I sold this rifle many years ago, to a fellow that I knew and he goobered it up with "touch up cold bluing" and a spray finish of unknown origin. Couple that with the fact that I bought it back from him about 20 years ago and put it in one of my out buildings. I recently rediscovered it, still in it's hard case, but with a bunch of surface rust on everything. I used about a quart of solvent to dissolve the rust so that I could get it open. I've tossed the case and moved the gun into my study. The bore seems to be in really good condition. I'm old enough to remember the change that Winchester made in 1964, in their manufacturing process and the extremely poor quality that resulted from those changes. This is a 1959 and is made of forged steel. The refurbish would only be cosmetic. I am an experienced woodworker with a nice big shop and the supplies necessary to do the furniture. The metal work is minimal and easily handled. As I stated in my initial post, I'll never use this thing, but it might be entertaining as a project. As far as market value is concerned, I believe that is very subjective and of no real concern to me..

Ditto this ! And quite often you will have more into the refurbish than you will get out of it - which could be less than if you did nothing.

My 1899 'Klondike' Mod 94 has been 'unofficially' rated at high fair, low good and I have it for sale in the rifle classifieds if you want to look at it as a comparison.
I really like the look of old Winchester lever guns. Yours looks well used and carefully, cared for.

Could you please post a few detailed pictures?

This would really help!
I might post a bunch of photos once I decide what I'm going to do. I know that it's virtually impossible to make determinations without being able to get an accurate look at what I'm talking about, but I'm just looking for some general opinions based on my candid review of my old deer gun.

Yours looks well used and carefully, cared for.
Yea it was a good find. It spent 50 years in a closet in San Fran and before that I don't know.

The internals are like new and I don't think it was shot much. Minor pitting in the barrel but thats to be expected.

The worst part is an area of corrosion on the mag tube just South of the front tube support ring. I managed to get a lot of it cleaned off with the 'copper penny' trick and it's a lot less noticeable than it use to be and is really the only 'bad' part on it.

The "terrible" condition has to do with the fact that I sold this rifle many years ago, to a fellow that I knew and he goobered it up with "touch up cold bluing" and a spray finish of unknown origin. Couple that with the fact that I bought it back from him about 20 years ago and put it in one of my out buildings. I recently rediscovered it, still in it's hard case, but with a bunch of surface rust on everything. I used about a quart of solvent to dissolve the rust so that I could get it open. I've tossed the case and moved the gun into my study. The bore seems to be in really good condition. I'm old enough to remember the change that Winchester made in 1964, in their manufacturing process and the extremely poor quality that resulted from those changes. This is a 1959 and is made of forged steel. The refurbish would only be cosmetic. I am an experienced woodworker with a nice big shop and the supplies necessary to do the furniture. The metal work is minimal and easily handled. As I stated in my initial post, I'll never use this thing, but it might be entertaining as a project. As far as market value is concerned, I believe that is very subjective and of no real concern to me..
I would refurb and shoot it, let your next of kin
deal with it

My understanding is the pre-64 model 94s are higher value. The factory had a change in management, and undertook many cost cutting changes. Changed some parts from forged to stamped. Went to lower grades of wood for stock. Etc.
Hello,

I believe that this is true from what I have seen in stores, read online, heard in person while looking at some rifles that were handed to me, etc.

My late close gun/political buddy in CO, another Nam Veteran, collected PRE 64 Winchester rifles in several calibers. He used them so they were not safe queens.

He had a large collection of shotguns in various brands too.

Plus several handguns of course.

He told me that his Winchester PRE 64 rifles were worth more back in the late 90's and on.

I saw his firearm collection and he had beautiful rifles, shotguns and handguns.

He was an outstanding shooter! He was a good hunter too.

My husband just rattled off some older Win models and told me more just now but I can't type it all down now.

Take care.

Cate
PS: I think that some of the Wins that we previously owned were VERY well made rifles and my first WIN was in a beautiful walnut/blued even though one of mine was made in the late 90s or so. It was a 94-22 (22lr) and bought back east. I believe (?) that it was made in Japan and the fit/finish/action were extremely NICE.

Even my friends who did not own one like mine were impressed and it shot great.

I do REALIZE that many people do not like or approve of Wins that were Made in Japan. That did not bother me because I wanted that WINCHESTER RIFLE (94-22) as I wanted my former BROWNING BL22 in a very specific model even though I tried to buy mostly AMERICAN MADE guns in my former firearm collection and in other things.

I was a NEWBIE when I bought it and it did not bother me if it was not an older rifle.

Plus I only bought NIB guns because I did not want to get a LEMON and because I was a Newbie.

Others were made later on, bought out here NIB (MT) and when they stopped making the Winchester 94 Trapper - we sold the three CF rifles that were here. (357 Magnum, 45Long Colt and 30-30 Win. calibers. We shared ammo in the pistol caliber rifles with our s/a revolvers. His and her guns. One from back east of mine and a couple of others bought out here.)

ALL of them held their value if not more when they were sold too. Just like the Marlin - Made in CT rifles, ones that were sold - his and hers, and other top name brands in various guns, styles and calibers.

ADDED more and typos.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews