JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my grandma just past about a month ago now (bless her) and i ended up with 2 rifles she had...havent got a chance to go out & shoot yet, but i was wondering if anyone has experience with these or any advice...
One is a Savage Model 24, over-under, .22 on top .410 on the bottom...Cool looking little gun, the selector button on the side falls off relativly easy, guess i'll just have to be careful...
The other is a Winchester Model 88 .308, lever action (kind of, lol). The whole trigger & guard move with the lever...I read it is actualy more like a bolt action that they put a lever action mechanism on, to have a little quicker reload...(need a clip for it too...)It has a bushnell 3X-9X scope. I am not new to shooting, did it a lot when i was growing up & have shot quite a few different rifles, but these are the first that are MINE...ALL MINE! haha.....
Anyways, any info, recomendations on oil/cleaners i should get/info or experiences with the rifles would be very much appreciated! Thank you & i LOVE living in the NW....You dont like rain? good stay out!, haha...
Sorry for the kinda crappy quality, i took these with my cell camera:

IMG00108.jpg

IMG00109.jpg

IMG00110.jpg

IMG00112.jpg

Sorry about your grandma. :(

The Winchester is a pretty good gun on average. .308 is plenty for most everything on our continent. If you are a total novice, leave it alone and take it to a qualified gunsmith or someone you trust with experience for inspection and deep cleaning. They are kind of a bear to re-assemble. I've done it a time or two and don't much care for them in that manner. That said, I have a friend and an uncle that just love them and they seem plenty accurate for their purpose.

Try e-gunparts.com for replacement magazine.

The O/U is a neat gun. I don't really have experience with it though.

Good luck.

yea the lever action mechanism looks kinda funky to tear apart....Maybe take get a schematic or take it to my uncle or sumthin, he knows quite a bit about rifles...thanx for the reply!

I had a Model 88 in .308 years ago - everytime I shot it it kicked the crap out of me as it is really light - needless to say I traded it off - never missed it.. The Savage o/u's are nice to shoot..

Yea thats what i have read on the net, that the 88 kicks like a mule...havent got to shoot either of them yet, this or next weekend for sure though, cant wait!

Yea thats what i have read on the net, that the 88 kicks like a mule...havent got to shoot either of them yet, this or next weekend for sure though, cant wait!

The short time I had my Model 88 I sighted it in - after the 7th shot - I traded it in - very light rifle - I didn't care for it..

The Savage 24 is a great classic. I have one in .20/22 Mag. Great little gun to have at the camp site. Easy to shoot and there are plenty of replacement parts available if you need to fix it.

I shot my first deer with a Winchester model 88 when I was 14 years old. I remember the shot, 200 yards kneeling, a neck shot, clean kill on a small muley. Funny thing is I don't remember the recoil kick at all. The rifle shot straight and was a joy to hunt with as it was light and accurate. It had a recoil pad, and the stock had been shortened. Great hunting rifle. It only takes one shot to put down an animal, so recoil is not an issue with any hunting rifle IMO.

My first deer rifle was a 88 in 308 . loved that gun , sold it when I was younger and always regretted it. I recently took one in trade and I'll never let it go . Great caliber , great gun for a lefty like me. The safety is easy to switch too . I've seen a few in the last few years for sale i n the shops and they seem to bring quite a bit of $$$ . I dont remember any excessive recoil / kick issues . Enjoy it !!!

The Winchester 88 is a very reliable and accurate rifle. If yours was made before 1964, it is better than money in the bank for increasing value. The bolt lock-up works almost like a bolt-action, as it rotates the lugs into recesses in the barrel upon closing. The steel and machine work that went into these guns was rarely equaled or surpassed in American firearm history, and it is the quality that forced Winchester to cease production on these guns.

I've been collecting Savage 24's for years. They came in a variety of caliber choices: .22 over .410, or 20 guage, .22 Magnum or Hornet over .410 or 20 ga, .222 or .223 over 20 ga., .357 magnum over 20, 357 maximum over 20, 30-30 over 20 or 12 guage. Multiple styles of stocks and finishes.

Anybody who has ever hunted with one, knows the only drawback: a cottontail busts out and stops at 15 yards. You draw a bead on his eyeball, to put a .22 where it belongs, and the 20 guage blows his head and shoulders off. Not the gun's fault: you forgot your selector lever. Such also serves to wake you up a bit.

My brother in Alaska says these guns are highly desired by the native population for their versatility. If I had to survive with only one gun in the wild, a Savage 24 would be my stand-alone choice over any other weapon.

Anybody who has ever hunted with one, knows the only drawback: a cottontail busts out and stops at 15 yards. You draw a bead on his eyeball, to put a .22 where it belongs, and the 20 guage blows his head and shoulders off. Not the gun's fault: you forgot your selector lever. Such also serves to wake you up a bit.

hahahaha....Yea i really like both guns, finaly got to shoot them last weekend, and they both arte great! Just have to get a magazine for the 88, wish they were more in the 30-40 dollar range though...oh well, gotta have it.