JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am researching what my next rifle is going to be and one of the top options is the new Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 30-06. This would be my first "larger" caliber rifle (I have a .243) and is intended for Elk hunting out to about 300-400 yards maximum. I plan on practicing a lot and also plan to reload so the 30-06 cartridge seems like a good bet. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this rifle? The reviews I have read have been mostly positive. Some of my other options are a Kimber Montana, Tikka T3 Lite, Remmington 700 mountain, Sako 85 Funnlight and Weatherby Series 2 Backcountry. The Kimber would be my first choice as I like the lighter weight (5.6 lbs w/o scope) for hiking through the woods but I am a little worried that the light weight would affect my accuracy with it. The Winchester weighs 7.1 lbs w/o scope. Other options or thoughts are always appreciated. Thanks

I've never met a model 70 I didn't like, so I think that's a great choice. That being said, I have quite a bit of range time with a Tikka T3 Lite in that caliber and it is very impressive. Weatherby is nice, but just doesn't do it for me. All you listed would work, of those that I have shot, I'd be all over the Tikka. Have you looked at Nosler rifles? I've handled a few, and they were exceptional IMO.

I figured a Nosler would exceed my budget but I will take a look. I would love to have a made in Oregon rifle.
How do you like the stock on the Tikka? I have read great reviews on how they shoot but the stock leaves me wanting. I am not sure why; I could upgrade it in the future if needed.

I have 2 Kimber Super Grades and they are light and beautiful but pack a wallop. 300wsm ways 5.6 pounds and feels like shooting a Sharps 45-70 buffalo gun. But for hunting all you need is one shot.

If interested I have a LNIB Remington CDL Stainless Fluted in 30-06. Put a HS Precision stock on it and only have 25 rounds through it.

It is in the rifle section. 30-06 is my favorite round.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I liked the stock on the Tikka. It's nothing super fancy, but it's well shaped, solid, and plenty of grip. The action was very smooth, and I like the DBM feature a lot. It's a wonderful hunting rifle; exemplifies quality, simplicity, and function . Not much of a range queen though, after about 40-60 rounds, my shoulder is done for the day.

nothing much better than a model 70 in my opinion, I would go 300 win mag though. A wider range of reloading options, from 30-06 to holy crap.

send it off to magnaport, port it and add a magnabrake. Put a pachmeyer decelerator on it too!

I was originally looking at a Kimber Montana and I thought the 30-06 would be more manageable with such a lightweight gun. the 300 win-mag is a definite option.

Or get a lighter recoiling round, like a 6.5mm. Best ballistics of the bunch, kills elk just fine, recoil like a .243. It's all about shot placement anyhow. No need to carry a magnum around IMO. That being said, lots of people do.

6.5? really? rather have a magnum and not need it, than to have a 6.5 and need a magnum. You will feel safer in the woods with a magnum, lotsa predators out there.

it isn't like going to the range and senselessly shooting all day through hundreds of rounds, it's a hunting gun, buy the gun and 20 rounds, good for 20 game kills, one a year that's 20 years worth. don't laugh I've seen it.

Most of us carry around extra weight already, what's another couple of pounds?

Back to the model 70, especially in the long and magnum calibers, the flat bottom reciever and integral recoil lug make for a more rigid, and better bedded reciever, never a fan of the remington style of round reciever with a separate recoil lug, not to mention the 70 has the easiest to adjust trigger out there, not a target trigger but an honest 2.5-3 lbs is achievable easily.

if not the M70, give the CZ and zastava guns a good look, or a rem 798, all very similar in design.

I bought a remmy 700 sps stainless in .270 wsm a couple years ago, ditched the plastic stock and put on a boyds laminated stock. leupold 3x9x40 vxII looks good, shoots straight, hits hard, all for about $1100. killed its FIRST elk last fall, one shot.

I have a Montana 30-06. It's an older 8400, not the one I'd really like to have, the 84L. Mine will shoot very nice 3 shot groups, usually about an inch with 180gr Partitions over a handload (well below Max) @ 2800fps. I'm not extremely excited with it's feeding, but I expect the 84L to be better. I also have a Model 70 in 30-06. (shocking!) It very well could be my main hunter if I did something with the trigger, but it's not stainless. I've always had my eye on Model 70 Classic in stainless.
But, if I do this again? I'd build up another Ruger MKII or Hawkeye in stainless. Fit it with a Timney, stuff it in a Hogue stock, mount that VX-R on it and not look back. Way under a grand (not counting the scope) and will shoot better than anyone can in the field. I had one like this I cut loose after I got the Kimber. Wish I'd never let that rifle go...:(

Ory,
Thanks for the comments. I'll take a look at the Ruger. I am curious though, What was changed on the Kimber Montana 8400 to the 84L?

The earlier 8400 and the current 8400M are actually sized for magnum cartridges. I don't think Kimber pulled their head out enough to make smaller cases feed worth a damn in that action. The 84L is designed specifically for the 30-06 and it's stable mates (270, 280AI, etc). It's supposed to feed like a dream. The feeding is the only complaint I have with this Kimber. It was a $1300 rifle out the door. For about half of that I can find a Ruger to start with, and I've never even seen a Ruger bolt action that didn't feed perfectly.

The other thing, I am not interested in owning another push feed rifle. I know, I know, everyone else loves them, but I won't own one. The Kimber, Winchester 70 (not post 64 push feed) and Ruger 77 MKII and Hawkeye are controlled round feed. Yeah, it's that important to me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top