JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hello, i have a Winchester model 12 12 guage shotgun.
i looked up the serial # for a date, it is a 1958. regular models seem to be common, but mine breaks in the middle and goes into a carry case. havn't been able to find any info on it.
just wondering if anyone had any idea of how common this shotgun is or a possible value.
it was my grandfathers shotgun, so i wont be selling it. i just would like to know a little more about it.

Mines a full choke 16g.

I REALLY like how it breaks down for transport.

Value wise Ive heard around 400-650?
I too will never sell mine, but I may file to SBS mine.. Again seeings that Ill never part with mine.

the break down design is one of John Browning's favorite features, this was common on model 12's. I am surprised you say you can't find much information on it. It was the most popular field and competition gun for decades, the U.S. military used it in WW2. Parts and furniture are still available through many sources.

I inherited my dad's 1945 model 12 Field grade, non-ribbed barrel. Not really a hunter, I had mine cut down to 18", added a gold bead sight, and re-blued. It is a very good home defense shotgun and certainly much prettier to look at than todays tactical wonders. One of the best features of the model 12 is that is has no trigger disconnect, so you can hold down the trigger while racking the slide and it will fire as fast as you can rack (aka "slam fire"). That feature made it a very effective as a war/riot gun.

I think all of the model 12s come apart in the middle, know as a "takedown" model, but there might be an exception. There were close to 2 million model 12s made so not really rare, but with the hand-fitted forged and machined parts, and real American walnut wood they are considered among the very best American pump shotguns ever made. And there were several grades of model 12s, some are quite expensive these days. You can try and identify your model 12 here: http://homestead-service.com/appraisals/12winShotgun/12win-model-configurations.htm

I have heard to never use steel shot in any model 12, but copper plated lead seems to be ok so that is what I use for HD (Federal Vital Shok PFC154-00LR, which is nor longer in their consumer catalog but still available through their LE line as Federal Tactical LE132-00). This is a lower recoil load and has the FLITECONTROL wad. The other thing I have heard is to never dry fire a model 12, so as a precaution I don't.

Since my gun is a standard Field grade that has been fired, it has little collector value and so no problem modifying it for HD. If it was a high end grade then I would have left it alone to retain the value, even though I never plan on selling it. It was the only gun in my dad's collection that I kept as it just seemed to be the most like him.

Here is a link to some grainy photos I took after I had the model 12 redone years ago. My mistake, it's a 1941, not a 1945. Been looking at too many Colt .45s lately.... https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/41-winchester-makeover.3158/#post-29066

Last Edited:
It doesn't seem sloppy. It has no vented rib.
It probably hasn't even been shot in 30 years
I will keep it forever. I'm sure I'll take it out and shoot it. Maybe even try for a turkey in the near future with it.
Thanks for the info everyone.

Larry Potterfield, the CEO of MidwayUSA has done several youtube videos of the model 12 including making a cutaway of one to show how the action works as well as how to adjust the barrel slop. They are on the MidawayUSA website as well but for some reason they won't play on my new computer. Worth watching and Larry seems to be a big fan of the model 12.

It doesn't seem sloppy. It has no vented rib.
It probably hasn't even been shot in 30 years
I will keep it forever. I'm sure I'll take it out and shoot it. Maybe even try for a turkey in the near future with it.
Thanks for the info everyone.

Sounds like this was a waterfowl hunting model, based on your description. It would not make for a good waterfowl gun today, though, due to the use of non-toxic shot nowadays.

The value of the gun could vary significantly depending on its condition. You would have to post some photos to get a better estimate of that.

As you noted, the gun could easily do well Turkey hunting. And one could certainly do some trap shooting with it too.

I rescently acquired another grandfathers shotgun also a Winchester. Model 1897. I was told they were most commonly a takedown and this one is not.

What makes u say waterfowl model? What does non toxic shot have to do with it? Not that I'm a bird hunter anyways.

Because FULL choke used to be the preferred choke for Waterfowl hunting. Unless it is a Trap shooting Target model. They were generally FULL choke too. That would be another possibility. Post a photo, and folks here could probably tell you more about your shotgun.

As far as non-toxic shot goes, a lot of older barrels are not hard enough to handle it. It will actually damage the barrel. And non-toxic shot also patterns much tighter than lead. A full choke will actually not work with non-toxic shot. It is too constrictive, and actually ruins the shot pattern. So that is why the gun would no longer be suitable for hunting waterfowl today.

But Turkeys can still be hunted with lead shot, so doing that would be no problem at all with your shotgun. Of course, there is currently a movement to ban all lead ammo here in Oregon, so that might be changing soon.

I just re-watched Bullit (Steve McQueen) and a Model 12 makes an appearance there a couple times. Awesome gunfight towards the end.
Nice nice gun.. I'd never get rid of it too.

Here's what I did to mine. It had a bad ding near the end of the barrel, so I cut it down to 20 1/2" and bought the correct heat shield for a WW1 trench gun.
win pump 12 004.JPG

I just re-watched Bullit (Steve McQueen) and a Model 12 makes an appearance there a couple times. Awesome gunfight towards the end.
Nice nice gun.. I'd never get rid of it too.

Nope, that is NOT a Model 12 that is featured in the Steve McQueen movie BULLIT. It is a breakdown Winchester Model 97. Very easy to determine, as seen in the photos on this page:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Bullitt

Steve McQueen's best Shotgun movie by far was THE GETAWAY. He really went to town with a High Standard 1200 Riot gun in that movie:

p2371.jpg