JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
I finally got my new rifle sorted well enough to hunt with, so I'm selling this one to help fund a youth rifle for my stepson to use. This is a Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win Mag. I think the model was called a "Black Shadow", which is a cool name for a no-frills 1980's package gun. I'll point out up-front so that M70 collectors don't have to read the whole ad: it is "push feed" with a "blind mag" (for those that aren't familiar, "push feed" means it has a similar bolt / extractor to the Remmy 700 and most other modern rifles, but collectors like the M70s with the "claw extractor" because it can be cycled with the gun upside down if you are being gored by a hippo, and a "blind magazine" means that it doesn't have a detachable box magazine or a hinged floor-plate; you load and unload it from the top which keeps dirt out and doesn't allow you to accidentally drop all of your ammo on the ground while tromping through the brush, but it isn't as fast to load / unload).

Still reading? Okay here are the rest of the specs. It has a factory composite stock (nice enough but somewhat heavy) and a 26" barrel. While these two features add a little to the weight, they also help tame the recoil a bit.

I took my good scope off of it, so it is currently mounted with a Bushnell "Scopechief VI" 3-9x40 (these scopes were extremely popular in the '80's as a reasonably priced good-quality optic but were replaced by the Elite 3200 / 4200 as Bushnell's higher end offering). This scope has some cosmetic wear but seems to be in good functional shape (it came on a rifle that I bought recently, so I haven't actually used it; the prior owner said it worked well). If the buyer prefers, I can replace it with the original scope the package came with (a Simmons 3-9x32 that looks a lot like their current "rimfire special" but must have been better quality since it held up to regular hunting use by the prior owner for 20 years; the Simmons is in better cosmetic condition, but I chose to mount the Bushnell because it was a better quality scope). The scope is properly mounted and bore-sighted, but I haven't dialed it in at the range.

The good news is that this rifle shot better than either of my other .300 winnies. The bad news is that it has some surface rust. With the exception of last season, I have hunted the last 15 years with stainless rifles, and I guess I forgot how easy rust could form (okay, I might as well just admit I was lazy). Anyway, it doesn't look horrible (3rd photo below looks way worse than it does in person, but I would rather be up front about it than try to hide it), and the bore looks great, but it won't win any beauty contests unless someone gets it refinished or coated. This makes it the perfect NW loaner / backup gun / tough field gun / donor for custom build, but definitely not a collector, and this is the reason for the price.

How's $350 sound for the package? I'll split the FFL fees (within reason).
wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
IMG-20151012-01585.jpg
IMG-20151012-01583.jpg
IMG-20151012-01584.jpg

Any interest in part trade for ammo and some cash.
Maybe, but I'm not desperate for ammo, so it'd have to be at fair prices. The only 2 things I can use right now are bulk .22 or bulk .556. You're welcome to start a private conversation if you want to discuss it.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.