JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So is Intel.

And lots of other people. Google anyone. (um, I am not blowing off the question, telling you to search, I am saying Alphabet is making an electric vehicle.)

The interesting ones will be from GM / Kia Hundai etc.
Not because they are good, but because they know how to make a million vehicles.

If I had to live and work in a city, I'd lease one today. I don't so I don't.

2017 Kia Soul EV
Subcompact car
3/5Car and Driver4/5Edmunds

Range: 90 mi battery-only
MSRP: From $32,250
MPGe: 120 city / 92 highway
Battery charge time: 24h at 110V, 5h at 220V, 0.5h at 440V
Battery: 27 kWh 360 V lithium-ion
Kia Soul EV for $99/mos -

Scoots
8 Electric Scooters for Adults That Are Street Legal - Nanalyze

bigstock-Ho-Chi-Minh-City-Vietnam-Fe-103416335.jpg

From Catalonia
policial-header-768x188.jpg

I would seriously consider a new Volt from Chevy. I like the styling of the new ones and they are similar in size to my Cruze. But then I also miss having an SUV or personal truck for playing afield with, so our next vehicle purchase is very much up in the air. A Volt style SUV from Chevy would be neat.

A model of what to do today is like this -

A person has a lease for their daily driver. Because of course they do. Who doesn't like a new car, who can afford to buy one - and if you have a business, home based or otherwise - leases can be easier.
If you want to take the family to Disney what are you going to do? Use your miles? Or, run over ot Enterprise and get a Family Truckster and cross the states. I know people who do this for weekends at the coast.

With electric, today and for a couple more years, same thing.
Use the EV to run the daily trips, rent a guzzler for trips.

You can rent a pickup from UHaul to get gravel and I think many cities have "Rent A Wreck" type shops.

There are some options.

RE: "EVs" I was pondering yesterday as I sat at light behind a Nissan Leaf. I was in my 1969 Chevy CST 3/4 ton. Come December when we only have 9 hours of daylight, temp in the mid 30s, 1/2"-1 1/2" of rain in 24 hours. How does the heater/defogger, wipers, lights do on the 1.5 Hour commute from woodland to Tualatin, for instance, do? To and from?

My next vehicle I put on the road will be the Willys Jeep I am building. Should get about 18 mpg with the OD and have a 175mile range on the little tank. And Im god with that lol.

Lol texting from a dump truck while being loaded with rock does not lend itself to spell check! And since my jeep is completely civilian a 52 Chev COE farm truck would be more comparable.

RE: "EVs" I was pondering yesterday as I sat at light behind a Nissan Leaf. I was in my 1969 Chevy CST 3/4 ton. Come December when we only have 9 hours of daylight, temp in the mid 30s, 1/2"-1 1/2" of rain in 24 hours. How does the heater/defogger, wipers, lights do on the 1.5 Hour commute from woodland to Tualatin, for instance, do? To and from?
You'd be surprised how little those systems draw in comparison with the traction motor...

Piss in a bucket by a waterfall.

On my Prii I can sit there for one hell of a long time with lights, radio, fan and such all going without seeing much battery drain on the drive battery.

You'd be surprised how little those systems draw in comparison with the traction motor...

Piss in a bucket by a waterfall.

On my Prii I can sit there for one hell of a long time with lights, radio, fan and such all going without seeing much battery drain on the drive battery.

I'm most curious about the heat part of it. Granted, lights and fan, small motors etc....but generating enough heat to keep you warm would take as much juice as lights, fans and wipers I'd think. But I am talking about full electric, not a hybrid with gas and battery power. What about these states that get a good old winter climate. You know a good three months of snow and sub freezing, morning ice on the windshields?

I was born in an era that put a gas engine on my wheels at twelve YO, and road trips were a weekly pleasure by the age of 18. I find myself envying those that spend the majority of their lives within a 25 mile radius of their homes. Not getting POed every time I have to deal with gas prices going up when someone farts at a refinery across the country somewhere would be nice.

So is Intel.

And lots of other people. Google anyone. (um, I am not blowing off the question, telling you to search, I am saying Alphabet is making an electric vehicle.)

The interesting ones will be from GM / Kia Hundai etc.
Not because they are good, but because they know how to make a million vehicles.

If I had to live and work in a city, I'd lease one today. I don't so I don't.

2017 Kia Soul EV
Subcompact car
3/5Car and Driver4/5Edmunds

Range: 90 mi battery-only
MSRP: From $32,250
MPGe: 120 city / 92 highway
Battery charge time: 24h at 110V, 5h at 220V, 0.5h at 440V
Battery: 27 kWh 360 V lithium-ion
Kia Soul EV for $99/mos -

Scoots
8 Electric Scooters for Adults That Are Street Legal - Nanalyze

ABE2A9DF-EFF1-4AE0-9CF1-D1350DBCB0AA.jpeg

From Catalonia
View attachment 395841

Wow.... it looks like a massive "special needs" school just let out for the day!!

I'm most curious about the heat part of it. Granted, lights and fan, small motors etc....but generating enough heat to keep you warm would take as much juice as lights, fans and wipers I'd think. But I am talking about full electric, not a hybrid with gas and battery power. What about these states that get a good old winter climate. You know a good three months of snow and sub freezing, morning ice on the windshields?

I was born in an era that put a gas engine on my wheels at twelve YO, and road trips were a weekly pleasure by the age of 18. I find myself envying those that spend the majority of their lives within a 25 mile radius of their homes. Not getting POed every time I have to deal with gas prices going up when someone farts at a refinery across the country somewhere would be nice.
I understand. Notice I left out the part about heating in full EV mode. A Prius will and can operate in full EV for quite some time even when running the AC (heat on a Prius is from the gas motor only).

The Leaf uses a heat pump... so it doesn't take much to spin that little compressor.

So take the AC on a Prius, relate that to a heat pump style in a Leaf add a much larger battery... I see no issues.

The hearing cycle (it's a cycle) is just that on an EV. It's not always on.

When we purchased our second Prius we looked into a Leaf... long trips excluded that from the table.

Stop and go city driving. Frequent stoppages. Very cold weather. Lots of BTUs needed to defrost and heat the car interior. I bet the heating load needs would at times exceed the traction motor needs. Just me.

Where can we find out actual real deal commute specifications on an all electric car? Both very cold winters and hot muggy summers. Also willing to bet the claimed electric car performance figures may not hold up.

I would not mind a slow re charge time if the actual all electric car performance met my commute needs. Eight hours re charge at work, then about 14 hours at home between work days. More on weekends available.

Where can we find out actual real deal commute specifications on an all electric car? Both very cold winters and hot muggy summers. Also willing to bet the claimed electric car performance figures may not hold up.
Cold weather has more of an impact on the battery capacity than the heater's sucking juice.

Do Electric Cars Work in Cold Weather? Get the Facts...

So how do EVs work in the real world for people in cold climes? The EV fleet management company Fleet Carma has tracked trips in the Nissan LEAF in Canada and the U.S. and found that overall range drops from close to 80 miles in shirtsleeve weather to 50-60 miles when driven in below freezing conditions.

Go big. Dude brought one of these over to the cruise / fly in at the Sisters airport on July 4th. They shut down the runway for drag races, and this guy with a Tesla said he would race anybody. He beat everybody until 2 Camaros, not even street legal finally got him, maybe by a car length at the most.

th?id=OIP.hq_0qPRALHedN77z7wfV_wEsDH&pid=15.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top