Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wildcat Mountain Road area in Sandy

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by robertg, Sep 26, 2012.

1. robertg

robertg Sandy Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

They are in the process now of closing all the shooting areas and installing a gate just past the gravel
    pit. I suppose you could still park your truck on the road and walk into the old areas, but they have done an excellent job of not only piling rocks in front of the roads, but they have piled up brush and logs on the roads.

2. Focer

Focer Mt Hood Active Member

I warned a coworker about them cracking down up there. A week later he was surprised to get ticket. Not worth trying.

3. hoody

hoody Tigard/Beaverton area Active Member

4. shredjesse

shredjesse Vantuckey Active Member

I didn't know about these shooting spots. I live in Welches not all that far away... damn shame to have missed it. Why are they closing them exactly?

5. robertg

I live pretty close and I have gone up there for years. I used to take a garbage bag with me and I was able to clean up the majority of the mess that people left. But the last 5 years or so the trash was unbelievable, not to mention the shady looking people, the sheriff would go up there all the time. I assume those are the reasons.

jim330rifle and (deleted member) like this.
  6. kd7vdb

kd7vdb United States Member

can't believe they closed all of this off :(

Real question is, where do we go now. Is memaloose all closed off?

7. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

if people keep trashing the woods it wont be long and there will be nowhere left open to the public. some people are just plain unbelievable.

8. jim330rifle

jim330rifle Sandy Oregon New Member

Is the gate on the main road{3626} before it narrows down into one lane or is it on the gravel road going to the gravel pit?:huh: I know the last time I was up there,I noticed they closed off the parking lot which is a half a mile :huh: after it turns into one lane.Where did you get your info?:confused::huh:

9. jim330rifle

I haven't been up there for a couple of years but the last time I was up there I was shocked about the amount of crap people left up there! I have been going up there for 20 years off and on and I have never seen it that bad!

10. robertg

After the main road narrows there is a road to the left that is still open, but all shooting areas off that road are closed.
    You can go to the gravel pit and the large parking area, but the new gate is just beyond that.
    Where did I get my information? I drove up there.

11. jim330rifle

So the gate is on the main road or just on the road to the gravel pit?:huh::confused:

12. robertg

On the main road just past the gravel pit. I didn't drive to the gravel pit because there was several trucks, trailers, and equipment in that area. I might go back up there this week and take a look around, I assume they are done by now.

13. jim330rifle

I don't understand how they can close off public lands.My understanding was they couldn't do so leagally.I'm shocked that no one has taken it down with a cuting torch LOL.

14. shredjesse

shredjesse Vantuckey Active Member

To my understanding they're allowed to do it for environmental issues, but this is from a conversation with a few rangers. Nothing appears to be in the plans for such closures to rebuild these shooting spots.

15. devildriver

devildriver Gresham New Member

16. Bigdix

Bigdix Sandy Or New Member

New here, but, you can't even make it to the gravel pit any more. Nice gravel parking area about a 1/4 mile befor it. Seems kinda odd since there is a hiking trail up there. Guess that's no more also.

17. hoody

hoody Tigard/Beaverton area Active Member

You're right...2003. I missed that detail.

18. devildriver

devildriver Gresham New Member

Talked to a friend today, he just sighted in his rifle for hunting at wildcat, he was able to drive all the way to the end of the road.

19. Bigdix

End of what road? You can still shoot at the end of the road the shoots off to the left before the gravel pit turn off. But its already got trash everywhere from people shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1351830468394.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1351830501743.jpg

20. Bigdix

Sorry, those are pics from the new parking lot are about 1/4 mi from gravel pit. The closest you can drive to it now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2