JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When a few years ago i started purchasing silver, it lasted for a few months but then i ultimately sold it all and purchased ammunition instead. My question to you is, in a WROL SHTF situation, why is silver better than ammo? In all the situations that have played out in my mind, i always end up thinking ammo is better than silver.

When a few years ago i started purchasing silver, it lasted for a few months but then i ultimately sold it all and purchased ammunition instead. My question to you is, in a WROL SHTF situation, why is silver better than ammo? In all the situations that have played out in my mind, i always end up thinking ammo is better than silver.

Ammo > Silver.

No one will want silver as a trade item for their goods if it even gets to that point.

I doubt there will be much trading at all.

I dunno. I'm not big into precious metals as SHTF trade goods, but I'm old school about trading ammo. Don't trade stuff that can be used against you/don't give indications about your defenses/firepower!
I prefer booze, tobacco, medical supplies, especially children's cold/flu and fever reducing stuff. I just think that silver will not be in much demand when people are hungry, sick, desperate!
Wouldn't hurt to have a little silver because of its one advantage, it's portable. Way down on my list though.

Depends on what you think may happen.

Zombie type apocolyps with shark-nado's whirling about & vampires? (What I mean there tongue-n-cheek is the complete & total fail of ROL, along with unrecoverable social disorder). - No, precious metals wouldn't prove handy.

Precious metals would prove very handy in a financial collapse (resulting in SHTF), if you & yours survive well into recovery.

I'm thinking along the lines of the writings of that fellow Ferfal & surviving the financial collapse of Argentina. I find it unlikely in any realistic situation, that I'd be able to trade silver dimes for a loaf of bread or butchered beef (regularly & safely). I could invasion setting those precious metals aside for a decade or so, until financial recovery occurs. Then selling them for real property, or to put towards goods & services, or simply to gift to my children (should I have any).

Me, I don't have much in precious metals. But my folks have a bunch, as well as gems, porcelain collectibles/fine china, some artwork & a lot of ammunition. It's going to be a little bit of a hassle driving it all out here when they gift it to me or should they pass on.

Here's the "thing" about all that though. I'm going to have to go that extra bit of effort to declare it (both as a gift, or as an estate), to allow Uncle Sam to get its cut.

Thankfully, I won't have to go the extra effort to declare any real estate & stocks I would inherit from them. Uncle Sam is already well aware of all of that!

So, in short, I think of precious metals as an investment. Perhaps useful during a limited collapse, however most useful set aside for recovery.

My thought is who will be controlling the PM prices?
Will it still be universal or local? Who's got more guns?
If I were a store owner I would take just enough cash to make it and would want the rest in trades
Food I don't have or could sell,ammo,seeds
Maybe Mr Biggoldbuyer is having a bad day and lowers the price?

Ammo, food, water, sterile first aid materials, fuel (wood, gas and propane)

Those items are going to be worth far more in an emergency than silver, that and only people experienced with silver and other precious metals can place the value on the metal that it once had during an established economy.

Young Tiffany at the piggly wiggly wont know the difference between silver and the shiny metal you can get at a scrap yard during SHTF.
(should you need to buy stuff and not have previous economy cash on hand asap)

That and silver prices may take a dip and may not hold its value. Other things (food, water, medication) will become worth far more than current precious metals.

But truly, it depends on your envisioned SHTF scenario.

Last Edited:
Metals are really only good for financial backing for any hope of recovery of wealth prior to what ever incident happens! So, unless you make it through the storm and have your metals, you start out at the bottom! Then, you are limited on who controls the exchange and the pricing that gets set and controlled! Think of it as a universal currency for what ever power that takes control of the financial system after recovery starts!

Not only do I think food, water, medical supplies, ammo, bourbon, etc would be more valuable, I would not be able to tell the fake stuff from the real stuff anyhow, so I wouldn't want it.

10 Ways Protect Yourself From Fake Bullion Coins - Investment U (http://www.investmentu.com/article/detail/26813/fake-bullion-coins)

Plus, I think if you can prep fairly well, you may not be out and about very much or need to trade for much. Now, if you do have to trade maybe stick with those people who you trust and will keep their mouths shut about yours and their prep situation. Personally, nobody should know about your situation anyway IMHO.

Mike

Metals are really only good for financial backing for any hope of recovery of wealth prior to what ever incident happens! So, unless you make it through the storm and have your metals, you start out at the bottom! Then, you are limited on who controls the exchange and the pricing that gets set and controlled! Think of it as a universal currency for what ever power that takes control of the financial system after recovery starts!
Exactly. I believe the pricing could be state to state easily and maybe less. How far do you want to drive,without laws?:eek: to sell that stuff?
How far would be safe?
Yeah and is it real? Haha
I'm actually going to start horsing some other precious metals
Tin,lead,copper,brass:cool:

In my opinion, PMs have only one use in preparation for a large disaster. Not barter, not as currency but in the event you are so exorbitantly wealthy that all bases are covered in regards to food, water, shelter, etc and your retirement is funded and your house is paid off and you have a large cushion of emergency cash and you still have a bunch of money left over with nothing to do with it, it is a way to preserve wealth until after order is restored if you don't have faith numbers on a computer screen will still be there.

Me, I'd rather have land......with water on it.

In my opinion, PMs have only one use in preparation for a large disaster. Not barter, not as currency but in the event you are so exorbitantly wealthy that all bases are covered in regards to food, water, shelter, etc and your retirement is funded and your house is paid off and you have a large cushion of emergency cash and you still have a bunch of money left over with nothing to do with it, it is a way to preserve wealth until after order is restored if you don't have faith numbers on a computer screen will still be there.

Me, I'd rather have land......with water on it.
So you want to invest in gold?:D
Because land with water on it here is about the same

Precious metals have always had value as an intermediate commodity in every social collapse in the history of mankind.

You can't alwsys directly trade with everyone because you might have alcohol but they don't need alcohol. They might have ammo, but you don't need ammo.

By having a commonly accepted commodity, you can trade with each other, knowing that you would still be able to trade your goods later.

E

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads