JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1st off, the price thing. Bimart sells it for a good price, some stores really rip you on it. Bimart averages 16 bucks the 9 oz jug. Luv Bimart

ok, here is why I like it, it's very case filling. In 200 grain 45acp loads...pictured...you can see that no way could you double charge with TB, AND you get a nice even burn ,judged by report. Also judged by chewing up the bull at 15 yds, my usual shooting distance these days.
. I shoot my Brazos 200 grain rnfp that I keep on hand for SASS loads,one bullet 2 uses. Keeps it simple.

4.5 grains cycles great and is a medium power load . Never a stove pipe . IMG_1058.JPG

I use it in 45-70 loads to basically duplicate the original BP load.
~25 Gr. under a 405 Gr. slug
Good burn,, and it'll still go clean thru any animal I'm ever likely to hunt.

I have 3 or four bottles of it. I have not used it yet, but for many of the loads I like - low power - I am sure it will be good. When things get back to normal I will get some more, along with other powders that are good for different cartridges.

I have always seen Trail boss as somewhat of a 'gimmick' for new reloaders, and possibly targeting the CASS market given the name.

Because CASS shooters typically load on the low end the powder has a 'safety factor' due to its case fill ability but with normal powder level checking there are other powders that are more practical - such as Unique - which fill .45 cases similarly as in your pic.

I really like the trailboss too. Are you saying Bimart uad some????

I load 500magnum with it. 8 to 10 grains and you can put any bullet on it pretty much.

I use 3grains for 38 special.

living in Florence, Bimart is our one store that carries powder. Not recently ,however :(
when they do have powder...the good old days...they always had TB.

RVTECH...yep it's just another powder...and the only one i have a little stock of. No pistol powders in Florence for months now

Yeah I used to buy it at bimart too...$16 a can. My inlaws live in florence and the last few times I was down there, the bimart had nothing. What about that gunshop there, are they empty too?

If you have a .30 can and a short-shank Axis laying around, here is a recipe for cheap fun:

Order a 10.5" Savage Striker .308 barrel from McGowen. They used to stock these barrels already threaded for a can. Mine was quite a bit less than $200.

Screw the barrel on the Axis receiver.

Screw the can on the barrel with some silver solder paste on the threads.

Heat the base of the can hot enough to melt the solder. When it cools, test it. Put the barrel in a vise and try as hard as you can to unscrew the can. If it comes loose, try heat again, maybe add paste if you need to. You want a "permanent" mount that the ATF goon can't unscrew by hand.

Waller out the plastic Axis stock to fit.

Outcome - a one stamp "stubby" .308 rifle. If you solder or weld the can onto the barrel, it isn't an SBR, so you don't need that 2nd stamp.

My load is 7gr Trail Boss under a 165gr LaserCast bullet, makes 1000 fps for subsonic fun, shoots exactly 1.5" 5-shot groups at 100yds with that load. Edit to add: COAL - 2.568 with that Lasercast 165gr metplat.

If you shoot it in the open, with no trees or hills or structure in front of you, you can barely hear the gun.

My can is an old SAS 9" piece. In the past, it was mounted on two different AR10's. By far the most fun I ever had with the can is on "Stubby".

I've killed 2 deer in my yard (in season, with tag) with head shots at 30 yards. The other deer don't even run off. They just jump a little and then look at their buddy laying on the ground, like, what the heck?

I bought the heavy barrel option from McGowen. The gun is front heavy, but not so bad that it bothered me enough to add weight to the stock.

Trailboss is good.
Case fill is good when you're shooting light loads.

If you have yet to run trail boss, you are missing the boat. It is not a gimmick for reduced loads. Excellent burn, consistent velocities and burns clean.
I have yet to hear of a firearm destroyed with a double charge of Trail Boss. I can't say the same for bullseye, tite group, 231 or unique.

Yeah I used to buy it at bimart too...$16 a can. My inlaws live in florence and the last few times I was down there, the bimart had nothing. What about that gunshop there, are they empty too?
Ive never seen powder at the gun shop, they are so high on things like 22 ammo I seldom stop in. I could understand if they were 10 bucks higher on bricks of Fed. 22, but 25.00 +.....uh uh

I like it for light loads in 30-30. It gets the velocity so low I can use just lubed non-gas checked lead. That makes super cheap plinking ammo that is a blast for kids to shoot.

I have tried it in 30-06 and 45-70. 45-70 is nice because you get a light load without the case volume issues making the powder hard to ignite. Again, it allows plinking rounds with cheap cast lead bullets. 30-06 it reduced velocity, but not low enough to use lead without gas checks. When running light jacketed bullets, in 30-06 it makes a good load for new shooters.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top