JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It is about 60% the retail price of a Glock 45 and just looks so much better with that satin stainless slide. This pistol has a loaded chamber indicator on top. I just picked this new Smith up last week. This is my new city carry gun. This Smith has large, sharp, widely-spaced and angled serrations so the slide is so easy to grab and rack. The slide stop actually releases the slide with the firing-hand thumb. Does anybody here have an SD9 VE (value enhanced)? How do you like it? This gun got great online reviews for accuracy and being jam-free on just about any ammo. I have yet to test-fire her at the range. The two nice stainless-bodied mags included were 10-round. A 16-round S&W aftermarket magazine is optional and about $40.00. The gun's Glock-esque poly frame was a bit warped at the front. The mag release is not ambi. I'm right handed anyway and hopefully this gun will not disappoint me during the initial range test-fire. I don't think a slight warp in the plastic frame will impair accuracy or reliability, do you? Should I contact Smith & Wesson about the warp in the front of the gun anyway?

IMG_20220213_023418429.jpg IMG_20220213_023426858.jpg IMG_20220213_023457475.jpg IMG_20220213_023523401.jpg IMG_20220213_023612618.jpg IMG_20220213_023624047.jpg IMG_20220213_023631036.jpg sd9 ve.jpg uneven frame at muzzle.jpg

Last Edited:
It's a Glock clone. In fact Glock sued Smith over their Sigma series and I believe the SD9VE is Smiths answer to making enough changes to comply. I've owned one. It was a good reliable firearm but the trigger was absolute garbage.

"The Sigma series pistols were so similar to the competing Glock pistols that Glock sued Smith & Wesson for patent infringement. The case was settled out of court in 1997, with S&W agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to Glock.[6]"

via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_SD#:~:text=The Sigma series pistols were,an undisclosed amount to Glock.

You chose it over the G45 because of price. And that's totally fine. I recommend the VE to people that are on a budget but need a reliable SD firearm. But is it in any way "better" than a Glock besides price? No.

Congrats on the new piece. I'm sure it will serve you well. :)

Throw one of these in it and you will like it even more!

You chose wrong. Should have gone with the G45. You'll agree with me later. Haha

645CFE50-3009-48EF-A6BD-9AA6BA1219FD.jpeg

I had a Smegma when they first came out. I thought the grip was more comfortable than the Grock. The trigger was bubblegum and IIRC, it did have aa few failures. I didn't keep it long.

Nothing real negative about it, but nothing real positive either. It's main appeal is being under ~$300 new.

Throw one of these in it and you will like it even more!

I will see how she performs at the range before considering the aftermarket upgrade kit. Another thing, this SD9 has a trigger about 2.50 pounds heavier than a typical Glock and that's fine by me since I'm accustomed to double-action revolver trigger pulls anyway. I would squeeze the trigger in a controlled manner and treat this auto just like a d/a wheel gun. Should I contact Smith about that slight frame warpage near the muzzle and see what they say about it anyway?

Speaking of both Smith and revolvers, I got a new Governor (.45 Colt/.45 ACP/.410 2 1/2) two weeks ago as a home defender, a hunting sidearm and a dangerous-animal protection carry gun in the boonies. I was carrying a two-year-old Smith Airweight .38 +P 5-shot snubby and now that is repurposed as a spare carry gun and a secondary home defender. Here are my two nice silver Smith revolvers in pictures. The new Governor is my pride-and-joy gun. My pet pistol. I now have three minty late-model silver and black handguns all from Smith.

Smith and Wesson Governor (1).jpg Smith and Wesson Governor (2).jpg Smith and Wesson Governor (3).jpg Smith and Wesson Governor (4).jpg stock gov photos.jpg DSCN0248.JPG DSCN0249.JPG DSCN0250.JPG DSCN0252.JPG DSCN0253.JPG DSCN0254.JPG DSCN0255.JPG DSCN0256.JPG

Last Edited:
I The two nice stainless-bodied mags included were 10-round. A 16-round S&W aftermarket magazine is optional and about $40.00. ]
Try here they're $23

The SD is the third gen of the sigma there was the original (the glock clone/ law suit one) the VE (value enhanced) and then the SD VE (self defense value enhanced). The magazines on the SD have a rounded front on the baseplate but all three sigma's can share magazines. The warpage in the frame is normal look at a glock they get it too.

Last Edited:
Well, I have a confession. I better let everybody have it. I actually BOUGHT the Glock 45 Gen 5 new a week before I ordered the SD9 VE. It's now up for auction online. Mint, unfired. It was a buyer's remorse buy for me. Trigger not as safe being lighter. Very uncomfortable slide to grab and rack. Difficult slide stop to release by shooting hand's thumb. I have the Glock 45 right now. It does have a very slight plastic warpage at the muzzle but you have to practically feel it with your fingers. The muzzle frame area is the only thing that shines over the SD9 VE. Otherwise, the more modest-priced Smith is just better looking and feels a whole lot better to rack and release the slide with the thumb catch.

DSCN0365.JPG DSCN0366.JPG DSCN0373.JPG DSCN0374.JPG DSCN0375.JPG DSCN0376.JPG DSCN0377.JPG DSCN0381.JPG DSCN0382.JPG Glock 45.jpg

Yes, that goes for every person here. What do people here think of Smith's M&P Shield line vs Glock?
Well I think my vote is known. Haha. Glock way before M&P although I don't mind the M&P. I personally don't like the shield but I also don't like the Glock 42 or 43. I am not a fan of small guns for self defense.

Glocks are proven, in factory form, to be among the safest firearms made. Saying it's "less safe" than x is bologna