JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've really been enjoying my limited time on Northwest Firearms forums. Recently I started paying attention to the screen names. Some people, like me, use their real names. Many use a pseudonym. I "get" a few of them, since they tell me a little bit about the person's interests. Others are out there. So, anyone care to explain why you're using a pseudonym, and why the one you're using?

That's certainly true! However, I'm hoping to hear your personal reasons for using a pseudonym. I think there are some good stories behind some of them!

I was given mine as a young replacement in a tank unit. I use it because I'm kinda proud of it. When I got it, I thought it was beacause I was such a fierce warrior- I was pretty 'gung ho'. Later on I found out it was because- when I was much younger -I foamed a little at the corners of my mouth. Generally when I saw a good looking girl or smelled a great beer,

That's certainly true! However, I'm hoping to hear your personal reasons for using a pseudonym. I think there are some good stories behind some of them!
Because my real name was already used by someone else, who I would assume has the same first and last name as mine. Hence the pseudonym.

I have had this screen name on every forum, online account, xbox live account for the last 17 years. It all started from an old aol email address jdonotbugme2003...which i created because a girl who's name started with a J kept spamming my previous email address in circa 2003. shorted it for a screen name to just donotbugme.

oh and all my friends on xbox live call me "Bug" for short, hence the profile picture.

Mine is also from an email address. It is an acronym that has my initials, bb, and my hobby interest, bass... because I was heavily involved in bass fishing since childhood, and I sing bass in community choir and barbershop quartet.

It's a layer of partial anonymity that I have used on many sites, so it just stays the same. In the sites I was going to there was a lot of flaming, arguing, etc. Amazing how nasty it can get when nobody knows who anyone is. And I loved to argue. Not too good to have these people be able to look me up and get my phone #, and physical address.

I started very late in life regarding this thinkum dinkum thing. Also known as a personal compouter. Maybe our handles indicate something about us like perhaps our names, where we live and stuff like that. Kinda. Maybe. :)

I started very late in life regarding this thinkum dinkum thing. Also known as a personal compouter. Maybe our handles indicate something about us like perhaps our names, where we live and stuff like that. Kinda. Maybe. :)

"Handles"... Wow, that takes me back! My CB handle was: "The Devil Himself". o_O:rolleyes::eek::D

Mine is also from an email address. It is an acronym that has my initials, bb, and my hobby interest, bass... because I was heavily involved in bass fishing since childhood, and I sing bass in community choir and barbershop quartet.

It's a layer of partial anonymity that I have used on many sites, so it just stays the same. In the sites I was going to there was a lot of flaming, arguing, etc. Amazing how nasty it can get when nobody knows who anyone is. And I loved to argue. Not too good to have these people be able to look me up and get my phone #, and physical address.
You're so right about a lot of forums—lots of flaming and truckloads of BS. NW Firearms seems to be good gun folks who take the time to help out others with their questions and problems. That's part of the reason I posed this question. Why anonymity when among friends? Next time I get to help with a shoot site clean-up, maybe we can all wear name tags with our pseudonyms, just so we know who to thank for their help online.

You're so right about a lot of forums—lots of flaming and truckloads of BS. NW Firearms seems to be good gun folks who take the time to help out others with their questions and problems. That's part of the reason I posed this question. Why anonymity when among friends? Next time I get to help with a shoot site clean-up, maybe we can all wear name tags with our pseudonyms, just so we know who to thank for their help online.

Had to pick my pseudonym when I signed up, so I didn't know how friendly it would be. However, there were plenty of impassioned arguments on NWFA back in the day before @JoeLink threatened to give us word warriors all a whipping, er, comeuppance, whatever.

I had been a lurker here for a while before I signed up. It seemed like everyone had a screen name so I did the same. Mine is our cat Higbee's nickname. My avatar makes me fairly easy to find if someone wants to do a little research, so anonymity isn't an issue.

When you have a bum-sucking arsebandit out there who wants you dead because of your mutual ex, counterintelligence becomes a Way of Life.

My handle was actually given to me by said ex, a reference to certain behaviors when threatened that she thought made me look, to use her words, "like a large and ornery Texas rattlesnake wrapped in human skin." (Example, if you see my head dip so that you can see my eyes over the tops of my polarized lenses and my lower jaw starts to pull down and back, making me look kinda like a rattler teeing up to strike... it's time to start rethinking something you're doing Right Quick.)

Last Edited:
Mine isn't particularly interesting. The etrain part was a nickname I got working in construction - one guy called me that one day and the rest of the crew ran with it. The 16 was because there was another etrain in use on Yahoo or whatever it was when I first started using that name years ago. It's still part of an old email address. This is one of the only places online I'm still known by that name.

As for why I don't use my real name, a number of folks here already know my full name, more know my first name. I'm not blind to the fact that true anonymity on the internet isn't going to happen, but I'd rather not make it any easier. Some topics, like guns, can get folks, like anti-gun people, fired up - maybe they want to troll someone like me for my position on guns, maybe they want to find some other way to make my life difficult. I just don't care to help them along the way.

o_OHow do we know for sure, that "Dan Adams" isn't just a pseudonym too?...

...you could be paying homage to Dan Adams, the banker from Des Moines, IOWA. ;)

Welcome.... whoever you are, and wherever you are. :)
( OK, They let me sign up... but other than that lapse, NWFA is a quality operation.)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR