JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The wife has allowed my to purchase 1 more rifle in any price range, as a last gun (for now, because the safe will hold one more rifle). I have always given thought to the .50 BMG, well because its a .50 cal!!! haha!

But other than it just being the most powerful rifle you can own (that I know of) why would you want one??

I see that $2000+ price tag (or more depending on which gun it is) and get a sinking feeling but I see the actual .50 BMG round and I smile from ear to ear.

Besides insane target practice what would your use it for? For hunting would just about destroy anything in North America, would any meat even be left after getting hit with this round?

I guess I could take out enemy vehicles and aircraft in a SHTF moment :s0112:

Talk me in or out of owning this gun...

In the natural progression of gun grabber mentalities , the 50 BMG is going to be in the spotlight of fear mongering sooner rather than later. Just look at cali. It actually is not practical for hunting , but I know I got a perma-grin the first time I shot one and I liked the feeling . Too many things have been taken away from us due to the "greater good " and I don't want to pass on the opportunity to own one of these bad boys . If you snooze , you lose .

In a situation like this, I'd buy a gun that I'd know I would LOVE to own and shoot... The unique capabilities of a .50 BMG are irrelevant unless they have some value to you.

Do they?

In the natural progression of gun grabber mentalities , the 50 BMG is going to be in the spotlight of fear mongering sooner rather than later. Just look at cali. It actually is not practical for hunting , but I know I got a perma-grin the first time I shot one and I liked the feeling . Too many things have been taken away from us due to the "greater good " and I don't want to pass on the opportunity to own one of these bad boys . If you snooze , you lose .

Yes that was another thing that came to mind..

A buddy sent me this link a few months ago:
<broken link removed>

The correct answer to the title is "because you can."

+ 1, You do not have to justify wanting what you want to anyone, that is what Freedom is all about. When we have to justify what we shoot or even if we are allowed to shoot then we are not free. How about what we can drive do you want to have to drive a Prius. How about what we eat or the clothes you wear or whether we can worship God as we see fit or even choose to not believe in anything according to your own conscience. How about if you want to fly an airplane and being told that private aviation has been banned and only government airlines and military can fly like they do in a lot of countries. We don't want the government telling you what is ok or not ok or making decisions for you. Get a .50 for the sake of Freedom. Do it for America. :s0155:

If you're looking for something big and punishing, here's your enchantment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solothurn_S-18/100

For the average shooter, a rifle chambered in .50 BMG is expensive and impractical. A friend of mine bought one on a lark. He sighted it in and then decided the weight, problems with finding an appropriate place to shoot it, and expense of shooting it made it pointless for him to own one. It took him a long time to sell it.

As far as uses go, the basic purpose of a rifle chambered in .50 BMG like the Barrett M82A1 is to disable vehicles and equipment. It can also be used to shoot people at extreme ranges but there are better options and calibers for taking out people.

For the average shooter, a rifle chambered in .50 BMG is expensive and impractical. A friend of mine bought one on a lark. He sighted it in and then decided the weight, problems with finding an appropriate place to shoot it, and expense of shooting it made it pointless for him to own one. It took him a long time to sell it.

Thats the kind of response I was wanting to see. I am just an average shooter, nothing special about be.. Finding a location to to shoot the .50 to the extreme will be hard to come buy. Plus the $5 a shot to shoot it :(

Its hard to say is it worth it for an average shooter because its so much money to spend!!

I could almost just buy it and keep it locked away and never fire it. Soon it will be illegal to own and worth 10x the price :)

owning a 50 bmg is like owning a Vette or Sportbike, sure cant use it to its potential, you own it because you want to. if you are an adrenaline junkie, why not? ammo is $$$, but how often are you going to fire it?

If the idea of owning one doesn't float your boat , then don't buy one . I don't anticipate firing mine all that often , but damn ! when I do , it's a blast! It will never lose value , probably will gain a bunch , but that doesn't mean much , cause I'm not looking to sell . My son will have a nice collection of toys when I'm not needing them anymore , and this will be the grand finale .Ammo is a little less than 3.00 per round for mil surp and I've already bought a few hundred rounds . When you see me out shooting my new toy , you know that there is a little part of you that will want to come over and check it out , go for it !

Because you can is a great answer.

As far as hunting. I suppose you could, just make sure you hit it square on the chest facing you so you gut it and bleed it out the back side from 1000 yards away. There might be a little meat left, but it will be worth it for the time saved gutting, bleeding, skinning, and butchering. The way i see it, you will be saving money over time by hunting with the .50. :D:s0114:

It will be a surprise to some of you here, but the UK has the second largest .50cal shooters association outside the USA.

If I lived a bit nearer to one of the authorised ranges, I'd have one for sure.

Same for the Cheytec and Steyr mega-calibres....

tac

Whats the largest range in the NW? Is there a location where one can do 1000-2000 yard shots? (not saying I am currently capable of doing so but i know they BMG is :D)

As for .338 Lapua, I have never seen that in a caliber ammo in shop before. Is it hard to get a hold of? .50 BMG I see just about everywhere but Walmart lol

.338 Lapua..

Just a thought.

+1000

Buy a 50 if you want to though. ''Because I can'' is a perfectly acceptable answer to this question. But a .338 Lapua is going to shoot just as far, hit plenty hard enough to take out whatever you might shoot at that range (unless you are shooting tanks or something). Be lighter, more accurate, cheaper etc.

But then, thats using logic to justify a decision, and what red blooded American can turn down something bigger?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews