JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who's bullets are you using? First off, I don't want to use straight lead. Coated would be okay I suppose. Thinking of using Berry's plated, 250 gr. Or even better, a little lighter, 200gr? I loaded Berry's 150s in the Win 94 .30-30 and they worked great. The plating takes a little crimp just fine, and they were accurate.

These are priced real good https://kcbulletcompany.com/bullets/45-lc-250gr-coated-projectiles/ But out of stock. :(

Id rather not be sitting on 500 of these. To start anyway. https://bayoubullets.net/45-lc-250-gr-rnfp-500-ct/

I use 265gr Keith over 9.0gr of Unique. Very accurate out of both a 4 5/8" Blackhawk Convertible and 5.5" Bisley.

Easy shooting but enough skookum for small to medium.

I've moved on to the 270gr Keith from Rim Rock, but have not reloaded as of yet. My load listed above used a 265 grainer from Beartooth Bullets, but they're tits up for a while now, as far as I can tell.
Those Beartooths were the cat's meow, imho

I used the coated ones from T&B, local company and very nice, responsive owner. His prices are some of the best around. I've given Travis lots of business over the last several years. I'm just getting into 45 Colt to shoot through my S&W 460. Much milder report and recoil.

I'm not interested in shooting hard cast, or going above 250gr. I decide to go with Blue Bullet's 230gr RN 250 count.

I've got about 3/4# of Unique. Anyone every try HS6 or 231? Seems like in a rifle 231 is a bit fast. HS6 not quite so fast. I have a goodly amount of those two.

I used the coated ones from T&B, local company and very nice, responsive owner. His prices are some of the best around. I've given Travis lots of business over the last several years. I'm just getting into 45 Colt to shoot through my S&W 460. Much milder report and recoil.
I just hit the buy button! I would have given the local company the biz first!

Who's bullets are you using? First off, I don't want to use straight lead. Coated would be okay I suppose. Thinking of using Berry's plated, 250 gr. Or even better, a little lighter, 200gr? I loaded Berry's 150s in the Win 94 .30-30 and they worked great. The plating takes a little crimp just fine, and they were accurate.

These are priced real good https://kcbulletcompany.com/bullets/45-lc-250gr-coated-projectiles/ But out of stock. :(

Id rather not be sitting on 500 of these. To start anyway. https://bayoubullets.net/45-lc-250-gr-rnfp-500-ct/
You could always use Hornady 45lc bullets as well.

I'm not interested in shooting hard cast, or going above 250gr. I decide to go with Blue Bullet's 230gr RN 250 count.

I've got about 3/4# of Unique. Anyone every try HS6 or 231? Seems like in a rifle 231 is a bit fast. HS6 not quite so fast. I have a goodly amount of those two.

I am considering the blue bullets for further lower powered loads. I use them for 9mm subs. Let us know how they work out.

I made the above post and didn't hit the "Post Reply" button. Hate it when that happens.

You could always use Hornady 45lc bullets as well.

Hornady XTPs or hardcast out of a mold. One might guess the hornady's are loaded warmer, and they are.
Yeah, I'm too frugal to pay list for Hornady bullets. A quick google and couldn't even find your basic cannelured Hornady .451" bullet.

I am considering the blue bullets for further lower powered loads. I use them for 9mm subs. Let us know how they work out.
For the most part, everything I load is lower powered. If I have the choice. Other than 9mm and .40, I guess. But I use top quality Montana Gold in those. Also in .38sp/.357 magnum

I made the above post and didn't hit the "Post Reply" button. Hate it when that happens.

Yeah, I'm too frugal to pay list for Hornady bullets. A quick google and couldn't even find your basic cannelured Hornady .451" bullet.

For the most part, everything I load is lower powered. If I have the choice. Other than 9mm and .40, I guess. But I use top quality Montana Gold in those. Also in .38sp/.357 magnum
I believe they are listed as.452. I have some. Long story short I ended up with a bunch after ordering XTP mags for the .460 lever gun. They sent XTPs. (Which are known to come apart in the BHA 460) I got my money back after an argument with cc company. Company went under. So... I have xtps. I wanted XTP Mags.

Are you shooting these in a handgun or a rifle? For handgun I've used Laser-cast 200 grain roundnose flat point bullets with 7.5 grains of Unique. I also got some of the Starline 45 Special cases and used 4.8 grains of TrailBoss with a similar Hunters Supply 200 grain bullet

I use the traditional Lyman 452190, powder-coated, 8.0gr Unique. Other than the powder coating, a classic load from way back. It still works great.

One of my revolvers had an issue with barrel leading, with regular lubed cast bullets. I started powder coating and all those problems went away.

I have about 50 lb of hs6.

I use the traditional Lyman 452190, powder-coated, 8.0gr Unique. Other than the powder coating, a classic load from way back. It still works great.

One of my revolvers had an issue with barrel leading, with regular lubed cast bullets. I started powder coating and all those problems went away.
Man, that's why I have no desire to shoot straight bare lead again. I did that once with a S&W .44 mag. BIG gun, stainless 6" barrel. I wasn't shooting magnum pressures. I was loading .44 special loads and, probably, 200 gr slugs. I might of been able to play with powders more, but I wasn't thrilled with the platform. Awesome gun, but not for me. Hopefully the guy that bought it enjoyed it, and is still enjoying it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads