JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is something I used to do all the time when my favorite local shop was still in business. It was convenient, usually very quick (most of my guns sold in less than a week), and pretty good at getting my money's worth; if memory serves the shop only wanted a 10% cut of the final sale price. 90% of fair market value is certainly better than selling to a gun shop or pawn shop outright, and with the haggling that goes on with private sales it end up being about the same as that anyways but without the hassle of arranging meeting times and places.

With my favorite shop long gone, I'm left wondering: which shops even do this anymore, particularly in the Portland area? The only place I know of is that auction house in Hillsboro but they want a pretty big cut that depends on the final sale price...but for the stuff I may sell it'll probably amount to 30%.

I talked to Keith's Sporting Goods but they told me they tend to prefer consigning guns that are out of production and even then I'd have to discuss specific terms with Keith himself.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience of a local outfit that consigns reliably, and at a good rate?

My local shop wants much more than 10%. Much more. Also that amount is non refundable if you change your mind and take back the consignment firearm or accessory. Also the selling price must be very ... very ... attractive. The shop will do a consignment but they do not want to. Not enough $mark up$ for them. Reasonable.

It might be cheaper just to buy a new starship. Or just have the shop buy your stuff outright. Expect only less than half value. :)

Put it up on GunBroker and set the reserve for what you want. Shipping pistols next day air is now 1/2 price since Buds Guns started their online service called SMG "Ship My Gun".

This is something I used to do all the time when my favorite local shop was still in business. It was convenient, usually very quick (most of my guns sold in less than a week), and pretty good at getting my money's worth; if memory serves the shop only wanted a 10% cut of the final sale price. 90% of fair market value is certainly better than selling to a gun shop or pawn shop outright, and with the haggling that goes on with private sales it end up being about the same as that anyways but without the hassle of arranging meeting times and places.

With my favorite shop long gone, I'm left wondering: which shops even do this anymore, particularly in the Portland area? The only place I know of is that auction house in Hillsboro but they want a pretty big cut that depends on the final sale price...but for the stuff I may sell it'll probably amount to 30%.

I talked to Keith's Sporting Goods but they told me they tend to prefer consigning guns that are out of production and even then I'd have to discuss specific terms with Keith himself.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience of a local outfit that consigns reliably, and at a good rate?

Google "Jack The Dog". One of the best for consignments. Stellar reputation.
Best,
Gary

Thanks for link..looked promising in the brochure. Only had 11 guns at Auction though. Check the repatriated gun stores ( pawn ) they do a lot a business
Majority of armslist ads...most have consignment. %10 sounds right
The good pawn ads are usually consignment...hell advertised...call w offers...

The only hitch that I can think of is if you back out of consignment due to no sale you would have to pay a transfer fee back to yourself

In through the out door brother

Damn raftman.... I can remember several guns ran through classifieds or great deals man. God I miss the FTF

I'll second NW Custom Firearms in Vancouver. I've consigned and sold 6 items with Jon in the last year and have one in the display case now. I consign because Jon's a better judge of resale value than I am, and I'm willing to wait a bit to get a reasonable price.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews