JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm salivating to get a 17HMR.. but not sure which one yet.

I really like the firearms CZ puts out but have no experience with the rifles yet. I wanted a cz-455 but they were discontinued. I know they are still available. The 457 has some nice improvements. The question here might be.. the American or the Varmint? It will principally be used for varmints at about 125 yds or less.. probably mostly less. Does the bull barrel offer much/enough advantage to justify it over the standard barrel? If not, it opens the choices to choose the standard OR the bull.

Then I started looking at the Ruger 17's and the Savage. Now I'm really confused.
I see a LOT of Savage options available. However, it seems most LGS's around her have the 93R17's. Even with that platform there are many choices.. but they all seem like it's different stocks, but some barrel types. I have seen a few A's and B's but not sure what the differences are.

Then there is Ruger. I have a couple of their guns in both are 22LR. They have a good reputation but I know nothing about the 17.

Any pointers are appreciated.. both pro's and cons

I'm pretty sure just about everyone I've shot has been stupid accurate. So I'd say it's about your preferences or ergonomics.

@Dyjital has reviews up on the Ruger Rimfire Precision 17.

I've got a thread around here somewhere on my B17.

Two good reads maybe?

Some of the Savage .17 HMR's can be quite accurate, and the magazines for them are relatively affordable. But, the CZ's are a even better. I recently picked up a standard 455 with the beech wood stock in .22 or and have been very impressed with the smoothness of the action and nice trigger, as well as its accuracy at 100 yards in our informal club matches. A couple weeks ago I ordered a .17 HMR barrel for it and swapped it out. After reserving the scope it put 3 different brands of .17 HMR ammo in less than 3/4 of an inch for 5 shots at 50 yards from the bench. I haven't had the opportunity to test it at 100 yards yet, but won't be surprised if it can shoot around an inch if the wind isn't too active. There are still some 455's available at several online vendors, if you look around. Definitely worth the effort. I have a feeling my Savage 93R17TR might be going up for sale.

Savage, Marlin or Ruger Precision.

The Ruger American model 8353 would be my second choice on the Ruger line just under the Precision Rimfire.

Savage would be the thumbhole variant

Marlin 917S laminate

None of these will go wrong BUT like me, some want threads at the end of a barrel and only Ruger does that from the factory.

The accuracy of the Ruger Precision:
Ruger Precision Rimfire .17HMR

Thanks for the input. I guess my next question would be.....
How advantageous is the Varmint barrel vs the standard barrel. I understand the bull barrel will not get as hot as the standard.. but, I doubt I'll be shooting more than a round a minute. if that. I also understand that there is a bit more oscillation with the standard barrel.. but is it significant?

In a .17 caliber barrel, there is plenty of steel around the bore, even in a sporter weight barrel. But by all means, get what feels best for your purposes. My Savage has a heavier fluted barrel (it is TACTICAL, after all :rolleyes:), but my sporter weight CZ barrel outshoots it. Remember too, that the small amount of powder and tiny bullets don't generate anywhere near the heat and pressure (not to mention muzzle blast) of the centerfires.

Thanks 2ndtimer.. CZ was my first option.. but, I had to ask questions/opinions about others. Bull barrel was my first choice.. but, after comments by numerous people, both here and what I've read on other forums.. I think the lighter weight, standard, barrel might fulfill my needs just as well.

Then I have to try to unwind what I'll need for a scope. If I'm looking at a 2"+/- head at 100 yards.. I'm not sure a 3x9 would fill the bill. I'll need some opinions here as well. The local Bi-Mart's seem to have some good buys on lower end Leupold and Nikons. It also sounds like buying a rimfire scope is not really necessary if parallax can be adjusted otherwise? I'm still pretty green here too.

I have an Intensity 6.5-20x 44 scope mounted on my Savage, but rarely use it above 14X, as higher than that results in more heat mirage. It has an adjustable objective and has taken ground squirrels out past 150 yards. My CZ wears a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 with side focus parallax. It is just about perfect for both the .22 lr and .17HMR barrels. I would encourage you to consider at least a 4-12x scope with adjustable objective, the side focus is even better.

Then I have to try to unwind what I'll need for a scope. If I'm looking at a 2"+/- head at 100 yards.. I'm not sure a 3x9 would fill the bill. I'll need some opinions here as well. The local Bi-Mart's seem to have some good buys on lower end Leupold and Nikons. It also sounds like buying a rimfire scope is not really necessary if parallax can be adjusted otherwise? I'm still pretty green here too.
Rimfire optics are fixed at 60-ish yards for parallax.

If you go the adjustable route, you'll have a little more of a degree of precision if you adjust to the distance. Otherwise, you'll do fine with proper eye position every time. The favorite used to be the BSA Sweet 17 but those are gone and others have filled its place.

I run a 4-12 Nikon Prostaff Rimfire and it's glorious, fixed parallax and I don't miss.
In quick shot situations for critters, get a fixed parallax, one made for Rimfire otherwise you'll have a 150y fixed parallax that does bad at 50y with that little round.

I love the way my A17 shoots and handles. It feels great in the hands and looks great with its peper laminate stock...
RUXKBxH.jpg
It's the rifle on the bottom in the picture. The next one I'd chose is the good ol 93R17 (Rifle on top in the picture). The savage rifles are known shooters:

BDo7IcK.jpg
DKyCS5b.jpg

Good enough to win turkey in last years turkey shoot at my club....

Thanks for all the feedback. I would up buying a CZ457 American in 17HMR. I think I'll be happy. Few more days and I should have it. Now I need to come up with a scope for it. Different thread.;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top