JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know if there is a gun store that has a internal range where my wife and I can test the Glock G42 and Ruger LCP 2 side by side? We have shot the Ruger LCP 2 and my wife likes it, but neither of us have shot a G42 and sometimes you can't tell the difference without firing them right after the other a few times.

I like the small size of the LCP 2 but from the videos I've seen, the G42 has less recoil for the shooter. The grip seems to be better because it's a very small amount bigger on the G42. Most reviews though say that the G42 is not really a pocket carry gun and you might as well get the G43. I'd like my wife and I to try both of them together if we can to get an idea of which works for both of us. It may one will feel right for us or it may turn out that she prefers one and I prefer the other and that's ok too. But I'd rather get a good idea before we buy something rather than afterwards and either have to go through selling it or just keeping it and not being happy with it and not carrying it.

I would hope there is some place on the West side of Portland, but if it's on the other side or we have to travel a bit, we'll do that, as long as it's a store that will give us a good chance to try them out. And as long as they don't mark them up a whole lot over places we can't try them, we'll buy it or them there as well.

Mike

Beavercreek Armory (an indoor range in Hillsboro) might have both. I would give them a call to confirm but I've definitely rented a LCP2 there and I saw a bunch of small Glocks in the case as well.

Their policies about the range have bristled many -- they make you watch a safety video and maybe answer some oral questions so they can confirm that you indeed know how to handle a firearm by yourself. Nothing hard, like 4 rules of gun safety and how to handle a misfire, but still can annoy many people.

You may call safefire up in camas they have a pretty good rental selection and their rental is a single charge (you pay one fee and can switch between anything they have as you feel the urge as long as you use ammo purchase from them) so you could try both and only be charged for one rental.

While you are test firing---think about adding the S&W Shield 380 ez 2.0 to the list. Size is comparable
to the G42. My wife has been looking at them at gunshows lately, suspect one will follow her home soon.

You can also try Threat Dynamics in Tualatin/Sherwood OR. They have a very good selection of range guns.

As for your comments about the pocket-ability of the G42, from my experience you are correct, not a great gun for pocket carry. But when compared side-by-side with the G43, much lighter and smaller. I carry IWB with a G42 and pocket carry with the OG LCP. Between those two, I can EDC wearing anything from flip flops, board shorts and a t-shirt to a suit & tie no problem.

Yeah, I am carrying a lousy .380 but I carry everyday. I don't want to be hampered by weight or bulk and have not found a 9mm that can compete with the LCP/G42 for COMFORT. In both cases, I pretty much forget I am carrying, that is how comfortable they are.

The G42 is a breeze to shoot. The LCP, once I put the Hogue rubber grip wrap on it, because ALMOST comfortable to shoot, but way better than stock.

If you don't have any luck with the other mentions you could check the Clackamas PSTC. I'm almost positive they have a Glock 42 for rent, not so sure on the LCP 2. I think they do have an LCP 1 though.

It would entail a little test also, like fmann mentioned at Beavercreek. And the costs might get too high to check out multiple guns. (Or even one depending on what you are looking to spend.) But they do have a pretty good selection of various sizes, so if all else fails maybe not a bad option. Buy once cry once as they say. Or buy all, be broke. I go either way.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've read the mixed reviews about Beavercreek and it is on my list to at least try since they are only a couple of miles from where I live here in Hillsboro. I don't mind the rules for the most part since they are in place for a reason. The only rule they have that I wish was different is their rule about only one person per lane. That means my wife and I can't be in the same lane so we could both take turns trying out different guns or shooting my guns. I don't really want to teach her as husbands are not always the best person to teach their wives... besides, the one chance we had to shoot so far, she shot better than me on the guns where she could pull the trigger. :D That include my revolvers and the semi LCP2 and 9 mm guns the other guys had. Like me, she grew up shooting mostly rifles but we both have a good grasp of the safety rules around guns.

I'll keep Safefire in mind. Neither one of us mind going a ways if need be to be able to try several out, although it will be more expensive to buy in Washington for me since it would have to be shipped back to someone local in Oregon. I don't know if you have to pay the FFL fee twice when you buy it and when you pick it up, but shipping costs would be added to the cost.

I have briefly looked at the S&W Shield and if they have it available to try, we'll try that one too. I'm a little disillusioned with S&W though as I've read a bunch of stuff about their quality control slipping lately... and it's not always easy to see until one has had a chance to fire it. The S&W looks about the same size as the G42 and is pretty close in cost. Being bigger than the LCP2 it should have a little less recoil, which I think my wife would like. That's why I want my wife to shoot the G42 along with the LCP2 so she can judge the recoil, slide action and grip. I like that it is a 8 round magazine though. I was reading about the SCCY .380 which has 10 rounds. It did well in reviews but SCCY hasn't produced any to sell yet, just review models. I will add the S&W Shield EZ to the list to try though, so thanks for the suggestion.

Mike

Does anyone know if there is a gun store that has a internal range where my wife and I can test the Glock G42 and Ruger LCP 2 side by side? We have shot the Ruger LCP 2 and my wife likes it, but neither of us have shot a G42 and sometimes you can't tell the difference without firing them right after the other a few times.

I like the small size of the LCP 2 but from the videos I've seen, the G42 has less recoil for the shooter. The grip seems to be better because it's a very small amount bigger on the G42. Most reviews though say that the G42 is not really a pocket carry gun and you might as well get the G43. I'd like my wife and I to try both of them together if we can to get an idea of which works for both of us. It may one will feel right for us or it may turn out that she prefers one and I prefer the other and that's ok too. But I'd rather get a good idea before we buy something rather than afterwards and either have to go through selling it or just keeping it and not being happy with it and not carrying it.

I would hope there is some place on the West side of Portland, but if it's on the other side or we have to travel a bit, we'll do that, as long as it's a store that will give us a good chance to try them out. And as long as they don't mark them up a whole lot over places we can't try them, we'll buy it or them there as well.

Mike

U may want to check out the English pit Vancouver website. I know they rent or can get most any handgun even rare ones. I've never been there but might be worth a look. Not a gun store though.

Wife loved shooting the Glock 42 and SW shield .380ez. Hated the Glock 43. Doesn't like shooting the LCP as much as the Glock, but she loves the concealability of the lcp too much to ditch out. I'll get her one of the others for her nightstand.

I definitely know that Beavercreek rents the SW shield 9mm, SW shield .380 EZ, and LCP2. For the G42 I would call them as that one I can't recall.

FYI, the LCP2 kicks a lot though due to the small size. It's not a fun gun to shoot.

The one person per lane thing does suck. They sometimes have promotions though like couples night and ladies night so at least that can help mitigate the cost of the 2 lane fees. Again call them.

BillM - I took your suggestion about looking at the S&W .380 EZ and I have to say, it looks and reads like a gun that would be worth getting. I've gone through a bunch of reviews and online videos on it and I started looking to see where it is available and I find it's another gun that interests me that isn't available. LOL! Well, it's available with the thumb safety but not without it or not at a price that isn't marked up by about $50 to $75 or more. And I want the version without the thumb safety since people have reported problems with it engaging during firing. S&W did a recall on it to fix the problem but I'm satisfied with the grip safety that it has.

I guess the reason that it is so hard to find available is a lot of other people feel the same way about the thumb safety as I do. Since I can't find it locally and only found it online at a couple of places, it appears that I'm going to have to order it if I want to get it. From what I'm reading and seeing about it, it may be worth it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike

Mike,

We stock the Glock 42, LCP, LCP II and shield 380 EZ with and without safety. We aren't a range so you wont be able to shoot them but you're more than welcome to come check all of them out and compare them side to side.

I'm so glad that Matt from Oregon Arm and Ammunition popped in and said they had the 380 EZ available. Since they are only a couple of miles from my house I ran over there and took a look.

I go past this gun store every day going to and from work and figured they were a hole in the wall and didn't have much... so I never went in. I have to say, I was really wrong about what they have behind their doors. They have a long glass case section that are semi-automatics and a shorter glass case with revolvers. I didn't pay much attention to the different rifles (the type that does not have wood stocks), but they had a lot of them hanging on the walls. And then they had a lot of the other gun related stuff that one needs to buy. From some of the gun stores I've seen, this sure seems to be one of the better stocked ones... and it's here on the west side in Hillsboro. I really shouldn't try to read a store by their front door. :D

Oh, and I did walk out with the S&W M&P Shield .380 EZ pistol. When my wife got home I showed it to her while it was still in the box and she thought it was going to be much heavier than it was because it was bigger than the LCP2 that she had a chance to shoot. She was surprised how light and she didn't have any problems racking the slide. The only problem she had was pushing the slide release, which is a bit stiff (I think it is as well). We'll see how well she likes it when she gets a chance to shoot it. It may be she likes it and I'll have to get another one or she will still want a LCP and it will be mine. A win-win in either case. :D

Thanks again to Bill for mentioning it and Matt for letting me know they had it. Also, thanks for all of the other suggestions as well. There are some good advice given and I'm going to keep them in mind and hopefully it will help others as well.

Mike

I may be late to the party here, but felt the need to pipe in. From personal experience and personal observation, the g42 And lcp2 are both terrific pistols. But each one fills a different role. Decide which roll you need it to play and that should make your decision easier. I have seen a few malfunctions with the 380ez due to improper grip. The grip safety demands a high, firm grip, and the lack thereof can cause either a failure to disengage the safety or a stovepipe. That being said, it to is an otherwise fine firearm, but in that size range, between the Glock and the Smith, my choice would be the g42. For pocket carry, the lcp2 is darn hard to beat.

Not late at all, bivy. I agree that each gun was designed for a particular role but I also feel that just because it's being sold for that role it means it can't be used for other roles if they work. For instance, I've watched a lot of Youtube videos on the S&W M&P 380 EZ and most of them say how this gun is intended for little old ladies, old men, those with weak hands, etc.,.. almost to the point that I wonder who the reviewers are trying to convince, the viewers or themselves.

While I have not shot the one I bought yet (I hope to next weekend) I have handled it a lot. I do not have small or weak hands and I'm not old (well, I'm not ancient LOL!) and I like the feel of it. I also have no problem with the grip safety when I dry fire it. While my wife hasn't handled it as much I think when she fires it she will like it better than the LCP2 that she shot. No, it isn't as small as the LCP2 but neither one of us plan to do deep concealment either. She will carry her choice in a fanny type pack. She also does not have strong hands and I think the slightly bigger slide and how S&W made it will be a lot easier for her to rack a round into the chamber than the LCP2 did. We'll see once she is able to fire it through a few magazines of ammo how it does for her. If she doesn't like it as well or better or finds something else she likes better, we'll still keep it around.

It's really hard to say what works best though unless you can shoot a number of them during the same firing session. Sometimes the weaknesses and strengths aren't as apparent as when you can fire them one after the other. Unfortunately not all of us have that opportunity, which is why I watch a lot of Youtube videos.

Mike

I've got both. If you make it to a clean up let me know you are coming and I'll bring them and some 380. Also have the 43 if needed for comparison.

I didn't make it to the Saturday cleanup (or are you talking about a different one?), Reno. We have a puppy coming in from Alaska in a couple of days to join the rest of our herd and hopefully be tall enough to be my wife's next service dog. We had to spend the weekend puppyizing the area he will be allowed in so he doesn't get into trouble (he will anyway, they always do LOL!). I hope to make the next clean up though. I'll have the bed liner installed in my brand new Ram and I won't mind hauling stuff then. :) Thanks for the offer.

Mike

Any of the future get together or cleanups.

Just let me know if you plan on making it to one and I'll bring both pistols for you or your wife to try.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top