JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My girlfriend and I are planning a road trip down to Yuma, AZ in the middle of February. 1300 miles one way. The first night, we'll be staying at my sister's place outside of Twin Falls, ID. The second day, we're going down through Utah to visit Matt's Off-Road Recovery in Hurricane, UT, then on to Vegas. Should be in Vegas by around 7pm.

Just checked rates and a decent room on The Strip is under $100. I've driven through Vegas a few times but never stayed. So far, the New York New York hotel looks good. Plan is get to town, check in, then get dinner and walk around the area and see the sights, play the slots a bit, and get to bed by midnight or so. The next day, hit the road and drive the last 300 miles to Yuma.

Staying in Yuma for a few days doing some off-roading and soaking up the sun, then head back up and stay in Vegas on the way back.

Girlfriend has been in Vegas a couple of times and says we should stay on The Strip on the way down, then on the return trip, stay in old Vegas.

I'm looking for a place with secure parking and walking distance from cool and free things to see. I'll probably have at least one pistol and one long gun for the trip. I think bringing the long gun into the hotel at night may be frowned upon due to obvious reasons. So, wondering just how secure the hotel parking garages are. And also the clearance. Vehicle is a mildly lifted 4Runner, so should hopefully fit. Once I get a hotel choice narrowed down, I can call the front desk for parking garage clearance.

Just wondering if anyone has been to Vegas lately and if they know of hotels to definitely avoid.

Yes I have stayed at a lot of hotels on the Las Vegas strip over the years. I really like the Bellagio hotel. I like walking into the conservatory and they do different displays with plants and flowers. Not sure if the conservatory is open due to CV19. They also have large sky wheel which I rode. My family did a get together back in October of 2016. Some of my family lives in St. George, Utah so it was great seeing them.
41928D7F-E3A4-422C-A090-38303682A6B5.jpeg 382E2283-FF5E-411B-B63C-180D3B8277B3.jpeg

Downtown: Avoid everything except the Golden Nugget. WHEN WALKING AROUND DO NOT LEAVE THE DOWNTOWN STRIP EVEN FOR ONE BLOCK.

Strip: pools not a factor this time of year, I would look for something at either Las Vegas Blvd & Tropicana or Las Vegas Blvd and Flamingo. This makes exploring easy. Consider Bally's: Many rooms have a view of the Bellagio Fountains and is connected to Paris. It also has a monorail stop you can take to the MGM. The nearby Flamingo is nice, too, but few strip views and those are bad. The gardens, though are killer and in the warmer months have an exceptional pool complex.

Strip views are great at The Mirage, if you get the right room.

If you are looking for a top end resort experience then look at the City Center, the Wynn, Bellagio IMO the best.

If you want a 60's rat pack room, they are in the original tower at Caesars. They are inexpensive and the ones I used to book still had the original gold plated fixtures. Caesars is connected to it's own shopping mall with lots of food choices similar to Planet Hollywood.

Strip hotels to avoid: Circus Circus, Excalibur, Riveria. Looks like covid has killed off the worst of what was there previously.

Don't know if the buffets are running, but if so the best IMO are at Planet Hollywood and the Rio Suites

Off Strip I like the Rio Suites and the Hard Rock.

Parking lot security - I would not trust at all, though I have never had a break in. MIght call the hotel and see what their policy regarding firearms is like. They might be OK under certain conditions or they may have a secure are where it can be checked in and stored. I would prefer this option as I have had someone with card key access attempt room entry at a few different places when I was taking an afternoon nap even though I had the privacy flag inserted. You never truly know who might have entered your room while you were out.

Fifty/twenty dollar trick: If you booked a lower end room to save $$$, discretely slip a twenty or fifty along with your credit card and driver's license and ask if they have any upgrades. They frequently have a lot of latitude, so if they keep the money you will get an amazing room. I've even gotten suites. If they can't upgrade they return the money. They key is to be discreet, so fold the bill so it isn't real obvious.

Vegas / surrounding area is a despicable dirty town full of whores, dope dealers, criminals and gangsters. I guess if you groove on the nightlife and gambling it might have some attraction. I had a bad experience with some gangsters who tried to hem us up on a residential street / avenue that required me to drive a rental Mustang 100 miles an hour with a drawn pistol in my hand.

Went there to see the NASCAR race which was a big let down since NASCAR sucks so bad anymore. Left that sh*thole the next morning to go to Flagstaff. I worked down there for a couple winters building golf courses and the fing contractors are as crooked as the criminals are.

Vegas / surrounding area is a despicable dirty town full of whores, dope dealers, criminals and gangsters. I guess if you groove on the nightlife and gambling it might have some attraction. I had a bad experience with some gangsters who tried to hem us up on a residential street / avenue that required me to drive a rental Mustang 100 miles an hour with a drawn pistol in my hand.

Went there to see the NASCAR race which was a big let down since NASCAR sucks so bad anymore. Left that sh*thole the next morning to go to Flagstaff. I worked down there for a couple winters building golf courses and the fing contractors are as crooked as the criminals are.
So 100x nicer than Portland? Flintstone feets are a flappin!

See if you can find a VRBO. Or even a condo.
We used a family friends condo earlier this year. 2 blocks off the strip. Pool. Nice and quite. But when we wanted the hustle, lights, and sleaze we headed over to the strip.

Funniest post in a long time. Please expand on the 100mph drawn gun story.

Yeah, I don't want to stay in Vegas. This is my girlfriend's idea.

But, I just had a thought. We are traveling down to Yuma to visit my elderly parents. I'm pretty sure Covid will still be a major thing in a few months.

Stopping in Vegas and doing the tourist thing and playing slots is surely high-risk behavior and seems dumb to potentially expose my parents like that.

So, I can get out of staying there on the way down. The way back may be tougher to convince her.

Yeah, I don't want to stay in Vegas. This is my girlfriend's idea.

But, I just had a thought. We are traveling down to Yuma to visit my elderly parents. I'm pretty sure Covid will still be a major thing in a few months.

Stopping in Vegas and doing the tourist thing and playing slots is surely high-risk behavior and seems dumb to potentially expose my parents like that.

So, I can get out of staying there on the way down. The way back may be tougher to convince her.
Stay in st. George

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads