JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my son is obviously to young to get a BB gun (3 years old) but he is starting to show an interest in my guns. Right now it is just don't touch them and tell an adult. But at what age did you let your kid get a BB gun?

Not sure about the BB gun but I got my 9yo, 7yo and 5yo their first 22 for past Christmas. Already taken the 9yo out and still waiting for the weather to get nice to take the 7yo (now 8) and 5yo. My suggestion.... not much younger than a "mature" 5 years. That is just me.

I was never allowed to have a BB gun. Dad said real guns or no guns. Started shooting with dad about 5.

It all depends on the kid but keep in mind that "no" guns is not the key. Keeping things away from kids only makes them more curious and want to "play" with them. Better option in my opinion is when the child shows interest show them take that time to teach or show them. Dont "take it away". Obviously when they get old enough to handle guns or shoot them when the show interest handle them with them or take them shooting. Let them know that "anytime" they want to "play" with the guns you are willing to with them so they wont need to "sneak" to do it.

Thanks guys. I was thinking around the 5-6 range but have to convince the wife. I never thought about the .22 but I could definitely start there. I just remember the days when I lived a couple hundred acres and just about everyday I would be outside doing some target practice. Since anytime my son shoots it is going to be a planned trip the .22 sounds like a better option. Thanks for the advice NW and I completely agree. I let him watch me if I am cleaning my guns or working on them. I also tell him that he can shoot them one day, which is when I got the question (When can I have one?) and the look (from my wife).

I also decided against BB guns. Real gun or no gun. My first son was shooting a Daisy .22 with cut-down stock in the Nevada desert at about 3. He's now in the Navy, so I guess he turned out ok. :)

I don't recall when my second son started shooting, but I think he may have been 5-6 in the California desert at a muzzleloader gathering we used to frequent all the time.

Each kid is different. I'm looking forward to shooting with my grandson. I had planned to last time they visited but he wasn't emotionally ready yet.

I got my first .22, that is still right behind me in the gun cabinet, for my 4th birthday, from my grandpa. Both of my parents approved. We only shot about twice a year on trips to "The Property", in Prineville. I always knew where my gun was, and never had the urge to play with it. By about 14 I had a gun rack over my bed with my .22, .30-30, .410 and 12ga...

Bought my grandson a Ruger 10-22 when he was 4 months old. When I give it to him is something else. He is 4 now, maybe in a couple more years I'll start letting him shoot it when his dad or myself is there.

Both my sons got there first 10-22 a around five years old. Take them to shoot it at the range almost any weekend they ask. I to skipped the bb gun thing for my kids. They do have airsoft though, when i watch them use them. When I think back, how did any of us survive the whole bb gun phase with our eyes. They are 11 and seven now. They wont touch the 22s now they only want to shoot the ar and ak's. ohh well. I like to see how much better shot my 11 year old is than me.

I got my first .22 when I was 12. It was kept in a cabinet over the basement stairs, not locked, magazine and shells were right there with it. Had a BB gun much earlier, don't remember how old I was.
The one grandson that lives with us is 12 and I'm working on my wife (she hates guns) to take him out shooting. But first comes the "dinner table" talk about safety!

My son (29 now) was shooting a 22 at 3 and was fairly proficient at 5.At 7,my bro in law bought a S&W 66 4".We took it to a gravel pit to shoot.My son hit 5 of 6 clays at about 20yards first time he held the gun.
Not bragging,just if you teach them young they can do well.
Now he did have some low times.A litle jail. But he never took his step dad's guns or my guns for any thing.Money,drugs,anything.
He had learned the value and learned respect for guns,and knew either of us would have killed him for stealing them.

Just saying,teach them early.

I got my son his first .22 which was a Nylon 66 when he was 9 years old. When he was almost 11 years old I got him his first centerfire rifle. It was an SKS. He's 31 years old now and is now contemplating getting his sons there first .22 rifles. I got my first rifle at the age of 10 and it was a savage single shot .22.

We got our son his first bb gun Christmas before last when he was 5. He loves going shooting with us, he's a big fan of picking up brass. We try to get him to shoot a .22 but he tells us he's still to young. He is beyond safe with all our guns and never had any risky behavior from him.

here's my deal, my 2 1/2 year old daughter shows a lot of intrest, I agree with most on here, i am not going to allow her to play with anything, but she can hold it and your never to young to learn to respect a weapon. Funny thing is, when she goes to her cousins house, she does not even want to touch a toy M-16. She has learned to respect the weapons already, and i am impressed. I think its when you think he/she is ready and mature enough to respect the weapon. I know 20 some year olds i won't allow to touch anything in my house......

i got my first bb gun when i was 5 and the pretty much set me lose around the farm haha lots of dead birds around after that. i got a 3030 when i turned 10. Really i would getting him a bb gun based off how mature he is. but i think 5 is a good age for a kid to start.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top