Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Whats wrong

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by numbnutz, May 6, 2009.

1. numbnutz

numbnutz molalla Active Member

Okay so yesterday some friends and I decided to shoot AR's. My friend pulled his out and proceeded to load a mag up sat down at the bench to shoot and his rifle wouldn't pick-up the rounds he would pull the charging handle back load one round it would fire and then CLICK! it did this all day, its not the ammo or mags as we tried those in different guns and both were fine. So my question is does anyone have any insight as to what it might be, his gun is a bushy M4A3 with a CAA 6 pos. stock and everything else is factory assembled ant help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

If I read that correctly....it would fire the 1st round, cycle enough to reset the hammer, but not strip a 2nd round?

Sounds like it's short stroking....

what ammo? ( can make a difference, I've had a few new guns that wouldn't cycle Wolf until they were broke in )

and check the key on the carrier, make sure it's tight and not leaking gas...

3. numbnutz

This is correct. 1st type of ammo was silverbear 223 and the 2nd was 5.56 not sure of brand

his gun has probably 1000 rounds through it at the very least,not sure if thats considered broke in, I will tell him to check the key. Thank you for your help,its never fun when a gun doesn't want to function properly

4. numbnutz

what exactly is the "key" we are both fairly new to the AR side of things and are not sure what that is

5. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

check the bolts for tightness, check for signs of gas leaking between the carrier and the key.

6. Anoldbaldman

Anoldbaldman Oregon Member

The tube on top of the bolt carrier. It has 2 screws holding it on and it should not move. My Ar was doing the same thing and you could wiggle it with your hand. Factory forgot to stake in the screws.