JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Current reading list.

Number 1 - Bible
Number 2 - Left of Bang

Next will be 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson

Today I started reading Bracing for Armageddon: Why Civil Defense Never Worked, by Dee Garrison (Oxford University Press, 2006). It has been interesting thus far, though I didn't have much uninterrupted reading time.

Today I started reading Bracing for Armageddon: Why Civil Defense Never Worked, by Dee Garrison (Oxford University Press, 2006). It has been interesting thus far, though I didn't have much uninterrupted reading time.
I finished this one a few a couple months back. It was an interesting, well written overview, with one fatal flaw: the author's bias was undeniable. While that is true of most works, this one was glaring. Essentially the author provided good coverage of the groups opposed to Civil Defense, with nary a mention of groups, beyond naming some individuals and think tanks, that represented the other side. That includes one organization that has existed for around 60 years with the express mission of preparing for a major disaster. (This is one I have been a member of for years and have authored an article in their journal.) All and all, not bad, but still, hard to ignore the slant.

This book came in today:

zombi.jpg

Going Viral: Zombies, Viruses, and the End of the World, by Dahlia Schweitzer (Rutgers University Press, 2018). May be interesting.

Last Edited:
  1. Something human (e.g., sociology, history, anthropology, genetics, relationship dynamics, sexology, psychology, neuroscience, religion in various forms, shifts in cultural norms, et al.).
  2. Something machine (e.g., computer/computational science, genetic engineering, industrial topics, futurism, et al.). It can be germane to my occupation or not, though it is a benefit when it is.
  3. Something preparedness (e.g., civil defense, how tos/DIY, agriculture, security, history directly related to the topic, family preparedness, firearms-related, disaster recovery, et al.)
  4. Something whatever (e.g., a novel, a topic I'm interested in, a recommended work from a friend or colleague, etc.)
(Admittedly, I rarely hit all the points, but it is the goal. This year has been decidedly mixed, but not bad considering the bonkers time-crunch in this foul year of our Lord, 2022.)

I think reading the always wacky looking included furniture assembly instructions from IKEA will pretty much hit all four of those points….

This book came in today:

View attachment 1287480

Going Viral: Zombies, Viruses, and the End of the World, by Dahlia Schweitzer (Rutgers University Press, 2018). May be interesting.
Downloaded this today and am already about 100 pages in (of 300+)...

1665036317609.png

Originally published in the late 70s, updated in the mid-80s (right before the fall of the USSR), updated once again in 1999. The manual's premise is that, despite all the regime/media propaganda telling us we'd all fry in a flash or freeze in an endless winter, none of those things are likely after effects of an exchange. City dwellers are most likely crispy critters, sure... but anyone away from major metro areas and/or military targets stands a fair to better chance of surviving if they take some basic precautions, the likes of which we talk about on here all the time.

How to DIY a geiger counter, basic shelter for the blast and immediate aftermath, 7/10 Rule for radioactive fallout, etc. It's all quite survivable...

Last Edited:
Downloaded this today and am already about 100 pages in (of 300+)...

View attachment 1287698

Originally published in the late 70s, updated in the mid-80s (right before the fall of the USSR), updated once again in 1999. The manual's premise is that, despite all the regime/media propaganda telling us we'd all fry in a flash or freeze in an endless winter, none of those things are likely after effects of an exchange. City dwellers are most likely crispy critters, sure... but anyone away from major metro areas and/or military targets stands a fair to better chance of surviving if they take some basic precautions, the likes of which we talk about on here all the time.

How to DIY a geiger counter, basic shelter for the blast and immediate aftermath, 7/10 Rule for radioactive fallout, etc. It's all quite survivable...
That is a good guide. Parenthetically, should it be of interest:

:)

For those who enjoyed One Second After, the same author William R. Forstchen will soon release Five Years After.

View attachment 1287711

It's been a couple years since I read it, but found it pretty interesting. Despite its fictional subject matter, the book covers quite a bit of practical information on survival preparedness if/when society collapses.

My daughter bought me this as a spontaneous gift and I enjoyed it, but the section on firearm selection is atrocious and obviously written by someone who has little knowledge about firearms. I get that the book is a gag, but still.

I also thought of the shark suit for zombies (Ala Ron and Valerie Taylor) before it was in this book so that made me chuckle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top