JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at purchasing a Savage 93 .17 HMR and need some thoughts on a scope for it. I know very little about scopes and what to look for so some good suggestions would be appreciated. I am wanting to keep the price under $150 but may go a little more if needed.

I was going to suggest a BSA Sweet 17, but unklekippy beat me to it. I had a Sweet 30-06 and the only thing I didn't like about it was the limited eye relief. I think they are a decent scope for the money.

Third vote for the sweet 17. I'll say that I'm a huge fan of great glass, and run Leupold VariX-III on my hunting rifles. I can't afford premium glass for all my rimfires, but i've been really happy with the sweet 17...with one caveat. The first one I purchased was defective, somehow...I can't remember. But I did buy it at a BiMart, and I was able to exchange it over the counter for another that I've been happy with. If I purchased it online, I would have been stuck with return shipping and a wait. I'd buy one local, FWIW.

So it sounds like the sweet 17 is good choice. Im looking at them and wonder which variation would be best 3-9 or 4-12? And what is the RGB illuminated all about, is it worth another $20-30?

I've got a great Tasco 6-24x44 that is wonderful for that package. Don't know the current price on those scopes but they are often found used or on sale. The extra magnification and very decent clarity/resolution really helps seeing those tiny tiny holes.

Thanks for the opinions I am truly thinking about the BSA sweet 17 but there does seem to be quite a few people not happy with them. So I am also looking into the relatively inexpensive line of Cabela's scopes. Anybody have experience with those scopes?

FWIW: I've bought many scopes over the decades. When years ago I was really poor I thought only the 'cheapo' models fit my budget. Gradually after buying far too many optics and being unsatisfied way too soon, effecting the need to upgrade and buy a 2nd optic way sooner than anticipated, I learned the advantage of changing my philosophy.

It really doesn't cost more to get good gear once the first time, than having to upgrade and spending more time & again, to get what you need.

Good optics adds a dimension of enjoyment over a far longer period, than any $ saved by sticking to the econo end. It doesn't cost any more to run off the top half the gas tank than the bottom half, so why be exposed to all the disadvantages of doing such.

This was a drastic change in my normal impulsive rush to jam whatever optic on there because I had some particular goal in mind. Given the onset of geezer-eyes, I had to learn patience along with the art of shopping around instead of regretting my low end scopes.

On a cost-by-year basis, the Swarovski scope and Zeiss used binos I bought nearly 20 years ago, remain perfectly great investments, while those lower end models acquired previously all had to be upgraded every few years, and still did not allow full enjoyment of the potential performance of those rifles.

Let your eyes tell you which level optics you can get along with and you'll find your wallet will become motivated to keep up.

Good luck.

I also have to say for as cheap as the sweet 17 is, it is a lot of scope for the money, I have a 18x on my Savage 93 and with my skills it shoots 3 shots .700 (or less) @ 100. It is definitely good glass for the money, you can find them for $70 or less online.

Also, IMO I would look for one with the objective adjustable parallax,(older generation) seems to me users have better luck with these, and you find them CHEAPER. I would also look into a Crossfire scope if one has the cash to spend. A 44 or 50mm would be money :s0155:

41mag gives some excellent advice and I agree with all of it. Looking through bad glass all day sage rat hunting isn't fun.

One of my favorite .17 HMR scopes is the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x with the ballistic plex reticule. You can get them for around $175 if you shop around. Often they sell for $200 and include a spotting scope or binos. The hash marks make shooting longer distance easier once you figure out the distances for each hash mark.

I do like a little more power though, and for a power recommendation 4.5-14x is ideal for the caliber. More power than that is okay, but you lose field of view and on small targets that isn't good.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top