JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an outdoor freestanding fireplace. The steel back wall is starting to decay and is now paper thin. I want to install a new piece of metal inside the box. What's the best heat-resistant metal that doesn't weight too much? It's about 20"x20". Without welding is there a way to adhere the new back wall to the old back wall?

I'm thinking about getting a piece of stainless and bending it into an "L" shape to replace the bottom of the box as well as the wall, that way I don't have to worry about adhering the new piece to the back wall.

FB115843-7219-4027-A18E-AF24B221B336.jpeg

This is what I'm talking about.

Any ideas?

P

Nice looking fireplace.
I can't help with a steel recommendation, but is the firebox deep enough for back wall made of firebrick?
Or is there already firebrick, and you have a sheet of steel in front of it?
Ours is lined, back and sides, with brick...no steel...and it does a great job.
Good luck...nothing like a nice fire and drink-of-choice on these beautiful evenings.

I used a 3/8" loading dock plate for the base of my fire table. It glows cherry red when we get it going but it hasn't burned through or had any structural problems.

IMG_20160905_164743.jpg

... What's the best heat-resistant metal that doesn't weight too much? It's about 20"x20". Without welding is there a way to adhere the new back wall to the old back wall? ...

I wouldn't use galvanized -- if it gets hot enough the zinc will fume and it is toxic.

For no-weld attachment solution, try a rivet gun using steel rivets:

EDIT: the rivet gun and rivets will probably run about $30, just get the right size rivets for the metals you are joining. Obviously you won't get an airtight seal, but considering this is an outside fire pit and you aren't dumping CO into your house, as long as whatever is behind the metal isn't flammable, it seems like this would work fine.

Best go-to is 304 stainless. You could also use 330. If you find 316, it will work, but not optimal for your application due to decreased heat threshold (but increased corrosion resistance to salt and chemical).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top