JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Concealed means concealed. Keep it that way and dress appropriately. And, don't talk about it.
An employee will not have the same rights as a student in a public college. There are rules of employment that can be enforced. These rules would not apply to the student. Keep in mind that the school may still attempt to enforce rules that can not be legally enforced. They have the $ to defend their actions even if they get overruled by the courts. Most students do not have the funds to fight it and getting expelled would really suck! Don't roll the dice unless you are willing to pay the price. Messing up your education plans will cost you.

Last Edited:
(maybe because a student or employee makes a pro-2A comment and someone overhearing this notifies campus security, "I think they have a gun on them...").

I can relate to being in this position, the worst thing you can do is be a 2A advocate that deep in anti gun territory.

However you decide to do it the best way is to keep your mouth shut if the subject comes up.

Whatever is comfortable! You could even put your firearm in whatever bag you use. A backpack isn't very accessible, but a messenger bag would work well.

I guess the first post wasn't clear enough. Knowing how to conceal and what particular firearm to conceal is easy enough. What I'm asking is how an employee or student who is legally able to carry a concealed handgun can BEST protect themselves from a stop and frisk from campus security. It would seem that a pistol in the bag is safer than if the pistol was on the person because a stop and risk can not extend to the bag. Any request to search a bag should be followed up by "I don't consent to a search". But maybe I'm wrong, maybe they can search the bag? If so, what are the particular conditions that must occur before a bag search can be conducted?
my initial response was in reply to your question. To clarify what Im saying the best way is to remove any suspicion that you could be carrying. There should never be a reason why anyone (security) would want to search you.

also, security has no authority to search you or your bags, only the police do and with probable cause. Security can only ask you to leave....

well that sucks, I stand corrected...

It sure does. The university system would rather have more easy victims. In the era of mass shooters, rapists, and other violent criminals on campus, law abiding citizens with CHLs shouldn't be faced with any disciplinary measures from the university.

I guess the first post wasn't clear enough. Knowing how to conceal and what particular firearm to conceal is easy enough. What I'm asking is how an employee or student who is legally able to carry a concealed handgun can BEST protect themselves from a stop and frisk from campus security. It would seem that a pistol in the bag is safer than if the pistol was on the person because a stop and risk can not extend to the bag. Any request to search a bag should be followed up by "I don't consent to a search". But maybe I'm wrong, maybe they can search the bag? If so, what are the particular conditions that must occur before a bag search can be conducted?

If you go into a building won't they check the bag sometimes? Also I thought that universities are still allowed to designate certain buildings as "gun-free," just not the open air portions. You might just be out of luck if you want to carry into certain buildings...

Personally, I would not attend, nor would I send my child to, any institution where I or they could be stopped and frisked at the drop of a hat. Nope, nope, nope. There must be other choices in higher ed where they place a higher regard for the rights of their students - and those are the institutions we should support.

It sure does. The university system would rather have more easy victims. In the era of mass shooters, rapists, and other violent criminals on campus, law abiding citizens with CHLs shouldn't be faced with any disciplinary measures from the university.

If you are talking about the University of Oregon, they now have actual police force, and can thus search a person.

If you are just a visitor to the campus attending some event, being caught carrying a concealed handgun will definitely result in a trespass being issued against you, and you will be permanently banned from the campus. If caught on campus again, you could then be arrested for trespassing.

If you are a student at the University, you could face potential expulsion. You would most certainly have some sort of sanctions imposed on you. Commit a 2nd offense, and expulsion would all but be guaranteed.

For an employee, they would be risking the possibility of termination.

I was under the impression that it's legal to carry on campuses campuses/schools, be you a visitor or student if you are properly licensed. That being the case, let "them" search (with cause) all they want. who cares

I was under the impression that it's legal to carry on campuses campuses/schools, be you a visitor or student if you are properly licensed. That being the case, let "them" search (with cause) all they want. who cares

It is legal under state law if you are licensed. So you will not get charged with any crime for possessing the handgun.

However, the University still has the right to trespass you if they catch you. And if you should ever then step on University property again, they will at that point be able to have you arrested for trespassing on their property.

It is only a class A misdemeanor. So you will not lose your rights to own firearms. But you would be subject to a fine. And most definitely jail time, if you continued to carry and committed a second offense.

It is legal under state law if you are licensed. So you will not get charged with any crime for possessing the handgun.

However, the University still has the right to trespass you if they catch you. And if you should ever then step on University property again, they will at that point be able to have you arrested for trespassing on their property.

It is only a class A misdemeanor. So you will not lose your rights to own firearms. But you would be subject to a fine. And most definitely jail time, if you continued to carry and committed a second offense.

I thought they couldn't trespass you for lawfully carrying in public buildings?

I thought they couldn't trespass you for lawfully carrying in public buildings?

As dbpep noted, Oregon Revised Statutes 351.060(1) and (2) granted the State Board of Higher Education
broader authority over its property. They are the ones that implemented this policy.

Back in 2011 this policy was legally challenged, and overthrown in court, by the State Court of Appeals. See:

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2011/09/oregon_court_of_appeals_reject.html

It was then briefly legal to carry concealed on University campuses with a CHL. However, all the State Board of Higher Education did was to make up a new policy rule, that included the same bans. Since it is a new rule, it is not covered by Sate Court of Appeals ruling. See this online article:

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archi...earms-policy-governing-oregon-university-syst

So we are now back to square one. The bottom line here is that the University system can create more red tape and new regulations faster than they can be outlawed. If you are real wealthy and can afford a lot of money to pay lawyers to appeal another case, you could legally challenge the new rule in court. The previous case took nearly two years in court, and cost a ton of money to pursue.

And there would be nothing to stop the University system from implementing new rules yet once again.

you know, for not being a "minority" gun owners, law abiding citizens sure are discriminated against a lot.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top