JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey every body, I moved to Oregon a couple years ago from southern Idaho where I hunted high desert mule deer for the last twenty years. This year I am going after western Oregon blacktail but do not have any experience hunting in this terrain or these animals. Any tips or advice on habits of these animals or a descent place in the wilson or trask units would be much appreciated.

Good luck with that, the first weekend of the season the Tillamook national forest is ridiculously over crowed. About the only way you'll get a black tail is if one wanders in front of your vehicle.

The best luck I had hunting black tail on the west side is hunting private land in Grand Ronde or Waterloo/Lebanon.

Down in southern Oregon there is a plethora of blacktail deer and also some black/mule half-breeds as you move east. Opening weekend here can be chaotic as well, so you can either wait until after that or hunt well off the road network.

its next to impossible. put on your raingear and start taking walks through the clear-cuts. you might jump one up. otherwise just wait till the last weekend when they might be starting to rut & find some does as the bucks will be nearby. ive hunted the coast my whole life and it basically sucks for deer hunting.

I don't know about the coast hunts, but in southern Oregon around Medford if you put your time in the woods you'll be dragging meat home.

Being unfamiliar with the area, would you suggest a starting point if I were to head toward medford to do some scouting. I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. I'm starting to do some serious thinking about heading that way.

Giddy, what decisions are you referring to? I know of a couple in the past that have been questionable but I'm curious on your views.

Try hunting south by Camp 18 off of 26 highway. Scouting leads to success.....find a clearcut bordering timber and be there before light and just before dark. Watch the edge of the clearcut.

During the day I have had regular success by making drives with 3 or more people.

Another idea would be to head East toward the Cascades and find areas near the East/West border such as near HooDoo Ski area, Lost Lake or West of Cultus Lake. These areas are technically in the 'Western' region but are less crowded, less dense and you may see an occasional Mulie. This is what I do when I do not get drawn.

I have a few places that I regularly go to search for the elusive animal. I find a nice spot in the area that i'm comfortable with where nobody drives. Sit in clear cuts between a water source and the area they bed down in and wait. No sense rushing the brush. (unless it's raining and windy)

Coast range deer numbers are way down the same for the Scappoose and Saddle Mountain and the Wilson unit. Are there some deer yes but the numbers are way down due to HLS having kicked the deer in the rear for the last 10 years. Yes there are pockets of deer but I think we are down under 50% in some units. My suggestion for a quality hunt go south they have more deer per mile than we do up here by a bunch.

If you hunt out here go find a area that has some deer sign and hunt it until you know it like the back of your hand start figuing out the wind mostly in the coast it blows from the Ocean and in the mornings. Hunt the edge and in the woods around the cuts. Look for a cut that is growing up that has a ton of blackberries and look for trails coming into the woods and set back in there 2 hundred yards the bucks will feed their way in at dark. Look for rub lines on the ridges the bucks will work them and they can smell and see more from the edges. They don't generally work a scrape like a white tail although I have seen some in the past.

Spend your time in a square mile and get to know every doe and fawn and then spend as much of the last 2 weeks as possible in the woods the bucks will find the does. In areas like the coast range the bucks have to range further to find does since the numbers are down. It can be a lot of fun but get used to seeing no further than 35 to 50 yards and your in a black tail heaven.

Get some good rain gear the best hunting is in the rain and the first good rain is a great time to be in the woods. Unlike Mule deer that will hole up, BT love the rain.

Hey every body, I moved to Oregon a couple years ago from southern Idaho where I hunted high desert mule deer for the last twenty years. This year I am going after western Oregon blacktail but do not have any experience hunting in this terrain or these animals. Any tips or advice on habits of these animals or a descent place in the wilson or trask units would be much appreciated.
Hey yamahammer, I am in the same boat, except my wife wants to hunt as well but she's slightly handicapped so any advice you received or found out on your own would be appreciated. Again I'm not asking for your spots

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews