JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I typically hunt Grays in White river unit. What are other units that have decent populations?
I'm trying to find out myself. I plan on going squirrel hunting soon as it opens but I don't get out enough to find them. I think we'd have more hits/views on the general forum... I was hoping to find some along the coast but out where I go now I never see any.

Squirrel hunting is my cup of tea.

Very slow paced. Lots of sitting and waiting.

Cheap ammo, if using 22.

A good day in the woods.

Hood is a good area. As is most of highway 6 along the Wilson. 26 is decent.

It is also very important to remember the legalities of squirrel hunting. Only in season. Always with a license. Only pop the fat males. Remember the total bag limits. Do not shoot out an area. Leave some breeding stock.

My city family would not understand the significance of the statement that your dog is barking up the wrong tree. Yellow Lab. She loved to squirrel hunt. I got at least two and she got at least one. Yumm Yumm. Much fun indeed.

Grey squirrel is the only one regulated.
WesternGraySquirrel.jpg
Your common Douglas and red squirrel is not.
douglas-squirrel-(tamiasciurus-douglasii).jpg
SS2606825.jpg
Nor are the non natives. The Fox and Eastern Grey.
220px-Sciurus_niger_%28on_fence%29.jpg
eastern-gray-squirrel-images.jpg

If you can not tell the difference, it may be best you hunt only during the scheduled season.

Red squirrel, Eastern Grey, fox and Douglas do not count towards your daily or bag limit. They do require a hunting license unless on private lands.

Douglas are the smallest usually.

Reds get big. And are red or brown with white belly. Which makes them very easy to differentiate.

Fox's are red and brown with matching belly. They can get pretty big.

Eastern Greys usually have red or brown mixed in and are smaller that western greys.

Western greys are big, all grey with a whitish belly. Their tales get as big as their bodies.

Western greys are a bit deeper vocally too. If that helps.

A lot of this is great, but seeing them in person and hearing them helps a lot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top