JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been shopping for a full size 9 mm for a few weeks now, something a bit more suitable as a range toy/home defense piece than my Springfield XDS carry piece. Had it down to a "short list" of about 6 guns, the HK VP 9, Beretta 92 FS, Sig 320, Walther PPQ M2, and a couple of CZ variants. Highest on the list was the HK and the Beretta, with the Walther hot on their heals. Turns out I find the paddle mag release of the HK awkward, and my "local" (90 miles from home) LGS didn't have the Walther in stock. I was really liking the feel of the Beretta, although like many, I didn't care for the location of the decocker/safety. And the price seemed a little high for what you got. So I kept my plastic in my pocket, knowing I was going to be in another gun store today.

Got home, and started doing some more digging on the Beretta, and somehow ended up following a link to the Taurus. Started focusing on that, even went so far as to do a Google search for BAD reviews of the PT 92, and guess what? I found exactly ONE bad review, even with lots of the reviewers being Beretta owners. Plenty of bad reviews of Taurus QC, but of the gun itself, almost none. And a fair number of those reviewers actually rated the Taurus higher than the Beretta.

In the process, I also educated myself on decockers, safeties, and location of both. Turns out Taurus seems to have gotten it right, it's mounted on the frame instead of the slide, and the safety and decocker are separate functions. So you can carry it cocked and locked like a 1911, something you can't do with the Beretta, or use the decocker to drop the hammer, and rely on the long DA first shot pull as your safety. The latter works for me, I've gotten used to no safety with my XDS, and the DA pull on the Taurus is quite manageable, at least dry firing. Won't get it to the range until tomorrow, but I'm confident it won't disappoint.

Did get the chance to check out the Walther today, too, I can see one of these being added to the arsenal sometime in the not too distant future, quite possibly as a replacement for the XDS. But for now, I think the Taurus is just what I'm looking for, and it's a nice bonus that it costs a third less than the Beretta. Will post more after my range trip, and might even manage a pic or two. Later.

Dave

Been shopping for a full size 9 mm for a few weeks now, something a bit more suitable as a range toy/home defense piece than my Springfield XDS carry piece. Had it down to a "short list" of about 6 guns, the HK VP 9, Beretta 92 FS, Sig 320, Walther PPQ M2, and a couple of CZ variants. Highest on the list was the HK and the Beretta, with the Walther hot on their heals. Turns out I find the paddle mag release of the HK awkward, and my "local" (90 miles from home) LGS didn't have the Walther in stock. I was really liking the feel of the Beretta, although like many, I didn't care for the location of the decocker/safety. And the price seemed a little high for what you got. So I kept my plastic in my pocket, knowing I was going to be in another gun store today.

Got home, and started doing some more digging on the Beretta, and somehow ended up following a link to the Taurus. Started focusing on that, even went so far as to do a Google search for BAD reviews of the PT 92, and guess what? I found exactly ONE bad review, even with lots of the reviewers being Beretta owners. Plenty of bad reviews of Taurus QC, but of the gun itself, almost none. And a fair number of those reviewers actually rated the Taurus higher than the Beretta.

In the process, I also educated myself on decockers, safeties, and location of both. Turns out Taurus seems to have gotten it right, it's mounted on the frame instead of the slide, and the safety and decocker are separate functions. So you can carry it cocked and locked like a 1911, something you can't do with the Beretta, or use the decocker to drop the hammer, and rely on the long DA first shot pull as your safety. The latter works for me, I've gotten used to no safety with my XDS, and the DA pull on the Taurus is quite manageable, at least dry firing. Won't get it to the range until tomorrow, but I'm confident it won't disappoint.

Did get the chance to check out the Walther today, too, I can see one of these being added to the arsenal sometime in the not too distant future, quite possibly as a replacement for the XDS. But for now, I think the Taurus is just what I'm looking for, and it's a nice bonus that it costs a third less than the Beretta. Will post more after my range trip, and might even manage a pic or two. Later.

Dave

Best gun Taurus makes is the PT 92 !

Update us with photos later :D

I've never really thought of a taurus and have always been apprehensive of their quality.
But the 92 model just feels so good in your hand. I just bought another Beretta 92 after regretting selling mine about 7 years ago.
I don't mind the decocker/safety, actually like it.
Just a great platform, extremely easy to take apart and clean.

Had a PT99 (Adj sight) in the late 80s. Let a friend talk me out of it. Slide/frame/barrel fit was biased more toward duty than target, but that was its purpose in the first place. Taurus has a ton of experience making the 92/99. Interesting back story if you do a little Googling. Back then, a local Deputy had one of the few in .41 Action Express. Is there such a thing as a collectible Taurus? o_O

So how did it go at the range?

It went pretty well, although I had some feed issues that I'm pretty sure were caused by the magazines. Seems to be a common complaint, the springs are pretty soft, so the follower tends to nose dive, resulting in several double feeds, at least for me. I ordered 3 new 18 round Mecgar mags, heading to the range again tomorrow, I'm hoping that solves that issue. Other than that, it shot well, now I just need to figure out my grip and the trigger transition between DA and SA. Definitely a different feel than my Springfield XDS!

Now I just need to find a holster for it, two different Safariland holsters that were supposed to fit didn't, seems like Safariland hasn't caught on to the rail on the current PT92 :rolleyes:. I have two more on the way, a cheap Fobus from Amazon, and an Alien Gear, hopefully, one or the other will save me from resorting to just sticking it in my pocket.

Sorry, guys, still no pics, maybe tomorrow. Later.

Dave

Best gun Taurus makes is the PT 92 !

Update us with photos later :D

I would beg to differ. The best one was the PT99. (Have no idea why the stopped offering it :()

My PT99 was stolen. Loved it so much went out looking for a replacement. Found out they stopped making the PT99 and settled for the PT92.

My wife and I both absolutely love the feel and the way it shoots. Just wish it had the adjustable rear sights like the PT99 had!

Range report and pictures from you would be nice! :s0151:

Another day at the range, another 300 rounds through it, and still no pics :oops:. Accuracy is excellent, at 15 yards the sights are dead on for me, and I can pretty consistently keep a full mag inside 3" SA, and almost as good DA. So I'm very happy with the trigger.

But I continue to be plagued by extraction issues. I called them double feeds before, but on further review, it's definitely a failure to extract. Not much rhyme or reason, it happens with different mags and ammo, single or double, slow fire or fast, dirty or clean. If this were an AR, I'd say it was seriously over gassed. For some reason, the extractor is letting go of the case rim before it's clear of the chamber, then the next round pushes it back in, and it's jammed. Great for running malfunction drills, but not really conducive to accuracy work :confused:. Will post more when I sort it out, just hoping I don't have to test Taurus's CS, the reviews on that haven't been great. Later.

Dave

Had a PT99 (Adj sight) in the late 80s. Let a friend talk me out of it. Slide/frame/barrel fit was biased more toward duty than target, but that was its purpose in the first place. Taurus has a ton of experience making the 92/99. Interesting back story if you do a little Googling. Back then, a local Deputy had one of the few in .41 Action Express. Is there such a thing as a collectible Taurus? o_O

I hat a PT99 as well I bought in the same time frame. I preferred the colt style safety to the decocker of the Beretta. It was a great pistol, accurate and very reliable. It's only flaw was that it didn't fit my hand very well so sold it a few years ago, otherwise I'd still have it.

Won't know till I can get back to the range, but I'm thinking the extractor was the issue, and I think I have it fixed. Turns out there were some burrs on the pin hole through the slide, right against the extractor. Made it difficult to get out, and it seems like it was binding as well. Once I knocked the burrs down, it moves much more freely, and there's a lot more spring tension on the extractor. Here's to hoping, will update when I get the chance. Later.

Dave

From OP:
"on decockers, safeties, and location of both. Turns out Taurus seems to have gotten it right, it's mounted on the frame instead of the slide, and the safety and decocker are separate functions. So you can carry it cocked and locked like a 1911, something you can't do with the Beretta, or use the decocker to drop the hammer, and rely on the long DA first shot pull as your safety. The latter works for me"

I also like the PT 92 and its safety.

Problem solved, it WAS the burrs I found. Quick stop at the range, put 5 full mags through it, not a single stoppage, and one was essentially a mag dump. Later, all, and thanks for your suggestions and support.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top