JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sláinte!

The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad

Tiocfaidh ár lá
Chesterton had his head squarely planted between his buttocks... The Irish are not "mad" and their wars have neither been merry nor their songs all sad. Only someone ignorant of the Irish character, history and music could say such a thing with a straight face and not be hooted out of the building...

Chesterton had his head squarely planted between his buttocks... The Irish are not "mad" and their wars have neither been merry nor their songs all sad. Only someone ignorant of the Irish character, history and music could say such a thing with a straight face and not be hooted out of the building...
The problem I have with the Irish is they allowed there unabiding hatred of the English influence them to become an open sanctuary for German military and war criminals during WW2 refusing to join the allies in the fight. It is a little discussed fact that weighs heavy on my mind when in the Catholic Irish Republic. It makes me curious about the accusations toward Pope Pius Xll and his complicity with the Nazis. Off course there was only one Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence and two that signed the Constitution as well, another curiosity but my people were mostly Cromwellians and Patriots.

Last Edited:
Eire had no dog in the fight with Germany, one of the few countries outside of USA to aid them in the long battle for liberation from the English empire. (The Lonely Banna Strand and Roger Casement, remember?) Eire certainly had no reason to join England in ANY English war... guess they had enuff of English wars and social and political repression over the centuries. The Irish Free State/Republic was not independent of the Brits until 1948. Which war criminals did the RoI give sanctuary to? Truly, I have not heard this...
I dunno where you are from, friend, but the Irish and Scottish-American descendants I know and am related to by blood or marriage... still don't think a whole lot of kind thoughts about England... I can remember the "cup" being passed around- this would have been in the 1950's/1960's- for the "Irish Relief Society" for social and political reform in Ulster. Glad my Gramps gave...:)

Last Edited:
Eire had no dog in the fight with Germany, one of the few countries outside of USA to aid them in the long battle for liberation from the English empire. (The Lonely Banna Strand and Roger Casement, remember?) Eire certainly had no reason to join England in ANY English war... guess they had enuff of English wars and social and political repression over the centuries. The Irish Free State/Republic was not independent of the Brits until 1948. Which war criminals did the RoI give sanctuary to? Truly, I have not heard this...
I dunno where you are from, friend, but the Irish and Scottish-American descendants I know and am related to by blood or marriage... still don't think a whole lot of kind thoughts about England...
My people came to Ireland with Oliver Cromwell from northern England and Scotland. My Great Grandmother was born in the first Presbyterian bishop in Ireland's estate in 1862. My DNA revels that I am 73% English (the typical Englishman is 65% today) my distant great grandfather was given a 1000 acre Irish estate near Drogheda after commanding the unit that sacked the city. His home and estate were destroyed by the IRA in mid 1950's. So I am decidedly prejudice. When I first visited Ireland in the 70's, the Irish Protestants had a 2% unemployment rate and the Catholics had a 25%.......never made any sense to me why 25% of the people chose to live on the dole while vilifying and attacking the most productive segment of society. It has improved........one of my cousins, (whose people went to England to enlist and fight WW2) still own a dairy and the family flax mill after 150 years. They were prosperous carriage builders when my great grandfather immigrated in 1882. Other sides of my family came on the Mayflower and the earliest one I can find was killed by Indians on the New England seaboard while working as first mate on a ship in 1603, 17 years before the Mayflower. My Scotch/Irish relatives still identify closely with England and the English since my 27th great grandfather William the Conqueror moved in 1066. My wife and I spend extended time in Western Europe and Ireland every year or two since I lived in Germany in the 1970's. My grandfather visited his grandparents in Ireland while on leave from the French front in 1918.

Last Edited:
My people came to Ireland with Oliver Cromwell from northern England and Scotland. My Great Grandmother was born in the first Presbyterian bishop in Ireland's estate in 1862. My DNA revels that I am 73% English (the typical Englishman is 65% today) my distant great grandfather was given a 1000 acre Irish estate near Drogheda after commanding the unit that sacked the city. His home and estate were destroyed by the IRA in mid 1950's. So I am decidedly prejudice. When I first visited Ireland in the 70's, the Irish Protestants had a 2% unemployment rate and the Catholics had a 25%.......never made any sense to me why 25% of the people chose to live on the dole while vilifying and attacking the most productive segment of society. It has improved........one of my cousins, (whose people went to England to enlist and fight WW2) still own a dairy and the family flax mill after 150 years. They were prosperous carriage builders when my great grandfather immigrated in 1882. Other sides of my family came on the Mayflower and the earliest one I can find was killed by Indians on the New England seaboard while working as first mate on a ship in 1603, 17 years before the Mayflower. My Scotch/Irish relatives still identify closely with England and the English since my 27th great grandfather William the Conqueror moved in 1066. My wife and I spend extended time in Western Europe and Ireland every year or two since I lived in Germany in the 1970's. My grandfather visited his grandparents in Ireland while on leave from the French front in 1918.
Fascinating! Thanks for sharing... my own people were :eek:Protestant. Even so, as I stated above there was not a lot of love for the English expressed in our family, and we have been proud to be Irish (American). The unemployment figures in Eire may have something to do with who still controls a lot of the wealth in Ireland.

This a fun conversation.........thanks for exercising my brain. As far as employment, I have always found that hard working ambitious people will always prevail even if starting with a disadvantage. The Protestants did have more money by the nature of how most got to Ireland because they were Middle to upper class people that had money to support Henry and Cromwell to fight the war. There is a list of people that donated to the crown and after the war was over received land in the country. They were called "adventurers" and my family name (Wright) is on it. Beyond that, they were a very early middle class group, many were small busisness owners and self employed tradesmen (like my people) that knew how to prosper wherever they were. They were blamed for being hard working and prosperous by less aggressive people in the society. (Like today here in the US) of all my relatives I know from the Irish/Protestant side, I don't know any that were (or are) drunks or victims. I have a great photo of my 2nd great grandfather taken in a staged photo studio around 1860 with a bird dog and shotgun taken in a Dublin shop. Familiar similarities are striking, in both appearance and lifestyles.

Last Edited:
a pint to ya......my grandparents were fresh off the boat so its still strong in my blood.
I, like most Irish.... like to fight f**k & drink and not necessarily in that order

Last Edited:
I'm 3rd generation, still 100%
Worked with a Dubliner who I could barely understand.
He called me "Half Irish".

Welcome to NWFA
Well, the Irish in Ireland aren't fond of Yanks calling themselves Irish and I can understand that; even respect it. I'm happy I'm American and happy my father's line is from Ireland. My mother's line goes back through Roberts and Watson (MacWatt) but both had been in America for a number of generations.
Also proud that my great-grandfather was an "Irish" cop in New York.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top