JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found a really good deal on a used Weatherby mark 5. An older model with Blue steel and a nice wood stock. I have coveted one for a long time. Yes I know ammo is pricey. But I reload, and recoil is such that I don't think it will be shot much. The price is right and if I have to rebarrel it and switch to 300wm, or some other 300 h&h based caliber, it wouldn't be a huge deal.
any thoughts?

First thought: If you want it, get it.
Second thought: If you want it, get it.
Third thought: If you want it, get it.

Just bear in mind that advice is coming from an old guy that spends thousands of dollars a year buying guns "just 'cuz"...

:cool:

You could reload it to reduced velocity/recoil and not have to rebarrel it.
With the capacity to hold 80 plus gr. of Powder I'm not sure loading light loads would be advisable. With powder laying down In the case horizontally more surface area would catch and may develop into a over pressure Situation.

I too have an older Weatherby, I purchased it to build a 30-378 back in the day when it was still a wildcat. It just shot too good to do that right away. It's currently enjoying the third barrel still in 300WBY. I often wondered about chambering to a different caliber after the years passed. 300 Winchester would be a step back in velocity and I lost interest in the machine work to make it a 30-378 when I could "now" get one off the shelf. I will always stay Weatherby now, but if I were to change, I would go with 300 PRC. Easy to do with that action and close to the same velocity. I posted a picture of my wifes first Elk taken over 400 yards with the old 300 WBY.

thumbnail_IMG_1086.jpg

Last Edited:
With powder laying down In the case horizontally more surface area would catch and may develop into a over pressure Situation.
Kind of an 'old school' problem that does not really exist with modern powders.

Not all powders are satisfactory for reduced loads but enough are you would be able to find some reduced load data with a little searching. Unique is a very common powder that is used for reduced loads in many calibers and is not position sensitive.

I have an older Lyman manual that shows a few reduced loads for .300 Weatherby I can scan and send you if you would like.

My thoughts are, you should just buy it if you want it. However, if it wasn't something you bought up immediately, I'm assuming you'd have to stretch your budget or the deal wasn't really that great, but more "exists." Being an old rifle in an unsexy old Magnum not designated in metrics with the phrase creedmoor, I'm sure it'll still be there for you to adopt later this week :)

unless its one of the smaller zippy rounds you shouldn't need to re-barrel it. if its 300 it can takes lots and lots of rounds. Rarley does anyone use them for a bench gun

i am after a MKV also but I want a .257 in a new fancy lightweight mountain version.

Yeah it's a #2 barrel contour 300 wby. Sending 150 grain bullets out at 3300fps, recoil ought to be impressive. So,no, not a bench gun. I may have to change the Balvar scope, even though it is serviceable, it's only 2.5 to 8 power.

I doubt I'd be interested in rechambering a 300 Weatherby. That's a very good round. I'd also not use a bullet as light as 150 and would probably not go lighter than 165-8. But then again, it's really difficult for me to even try to use anything but 180gr in my 06 and 06AI.

When I was at the shop I spotted another one of my dream guns, a Ruger #1 in 458win mag, for $1k. Damn it! Should I? Going back today, see if he will come down any, would like it better for $750.

Orygun, lighter bullets don't survive well in the 300 wby. I have read reports of them coming apart. I did buy 3boxes of ammo 2 of 200 grain and one of 150 grain. Weatherby and hornady ammo.

Study up on some reduced data for your .300 WBY.

I am seeing a lot of data using SR 4759 powder for reduced loads in larger caliber cartridges.

Looking at my Speer manual I see several reduced loads with this powder and 100 - 110 grain bullets in the 1600 - 2000 FPS velocity range for the .300.

That's like using a 5-pound hammer to pluck an eyebrow! No offense intended.

You have a very nice rifle, The German ones, I believe have a 1-12 twist and should stabilize the smaller bullets well.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads