JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
They won't be importing any more from Latvia/Poland as they have received a cease-and-desist letter from the EPA. When they sell out, that's it. In the future, you may be able to get Wavians from other places, but they will have the poor quality EPA spout instead of the cam style NATO lid that seals tight. Order the four pack and shipping is $26. Shipping is $21 for the $99 2 pack. These are the good ones.

Suggest picking up the long flex spouts and replacement gaskets as well.

https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20K4/

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
I have six of these that I bought from a NWFA member local to me - high quality authentic ValPro (same as Wavian - IIRC ValPro is the British seller/maker?). I am going to order 4 more on this sale (shipping to my Newberg address was $31.31 for a total of $226.26 or $57 per can - I paid as much for Eagle/etc. safety cans).

Note: Many gas stations will not fill these with gasoline (I know Costco won't) - most probably would fill with diesel. Not an issue for me as I can fill my "legal" cans and then transfer to these if I need to. these are 20 liter cans which is ~5.3 gallons.

Key features of the authentic cans:

1) The seam is inset (the seam should not extend further than the outer surface - some do and those are not authentic) - this is important as it indicates whether the design/etc. has been tested for pressure/etc. - I've seen the tests (vid on YT) and it is extraordinary how much abuse these things will take and not leak no matter how you stack/orient them.

2) The filler neck has the built-in vent. Important to work with any correct dispensing neck for speed/sloshing/etc. issues.

3) "Wavian" or "ValPro" stamped on the side. IIRC there is a third brand but I forget the name.

4) The proper design and implementation of the cap for the filler neck. Has to be done right. An authentic Wavian/ValPro will not leak. "GI Jerry cans" - the old type with the round screw in nozzles will leak badly.

5) The authentic cans have three carrying handles, not 4 or two.

The price is good - about as good as you will ever find them. Most sellers mark them up into the $80+ range.

Note: I have found the nozzles on Amazon for better prices - sometimes. I prefer the flexible steel flex nozzles as I have to fill the tank on my truck and it is hard to get to with a short nozzle.

They won't be importing any more from Latvia/Poland as they have received a cease-and-desist letter from the EPA. When they sell out, that's it. In the future, you may be able to get Wavians from other places, but they will have the poor quality EPA spout instead of the cam style NATO lid that seals tight. Order the four pack and shipping is $26. Shipping is $21 for the $99 2 pack. These are the good ones.

Suggest picking up the long flex spouts and replacement gaskets as well.

https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20K4/
Thanks. Don't see these good prices very often.

I have got to stop looking at the Classifieds - every month I see some deal I just can't pass up. :(

They do have ones painted yellow for diesel. Same cans, just yellow
Check the price - IIRC they are asking full price for any other can than green. Some of those say they are EPA/CARB approved, so I would look at the filler neck/cap and nozzle - I would bet those "approved" ones don't have the NATO vent/nozzle.

I have seen fake "military style" cans on Sportsman's Guide and elsewhere and those are crap, especially the "stainless" ones that have been reported to rust.

Check the price - IIRC they are asking full price for any other can than green. Some of those say they are EPA/CARB approved, so I would look at the filler neck/cap and nozzle - I would bet those "approved" ones don't have the NATO vent/nozzle.

I have seen fake "military style" cans on Sportsman's Guide and elsewhere and those are crap, especially the "stainless" ones that have been reported to rust.
Saw them, but don't have a need for diesel so I just moved on. Thanks for the info tho.

Saw them, but don't have a need for diesel so I just moved on. Thanks for the info tho.
I will probably use these for diesel as my gasoline pickup will probably be converted to electric, but maybe not (I already have a 106 gal aux tank and a 250+ gal storage tank, plus 37 gal stock tank on my diesel truck I will probably replace with a 50 gal tank, so my truck has plenty of capacity/range)?

I don't care either way; I will just take gasoline from my 55 gal barrel or use my Eagle safety cans to incrementally fill the Wavian/ValPro cans if I feel like it.

YMMV

Sorry to likely repeat myself. BUT, way back when I first bought NATO gas cans, I didn't want to pay so much as the Waviens/Valpros were going for. In fact, someone online was selling an identical one for craploads less. Or so I thought. When they arrived, I noted that they didn't look like the photo. The photo was a wavien, these had the spout in the middle- not the side, you couldn't fasten the spout to it, there was less room between the handles and the can so it was harder to grab. etc etc.

I'd been invited out by a buddy who had a place at the coast and a sweet boat. Thought that filling one of the gas cans up with non-ethonol and gifting it would be a nice thing. He was happy I was happy, we got crab. I thought that was the end of it. Nope.

Buddy came back to his beach house 2 weeks later to find the weld on "my", now his, chinese can had failed. His garage floor was covered in gas, and the fumes were off the charts in that sealed space. The tiniest spark would have blown everything he owned including the boat sky high....we don't know why that didn't occur. I was damned embarrassed. What I learned is don't cheap out. You may have better luck with cheap crap, but keep that warning in mind. My Waviens from 2015 are still flawless.

Last Edited:
Sorry to likely repeat myself. BUT, way back when I first bought NATO gas cans, I didn't want to pay so much as the Waviens/Valpros were going for. In fact, someone online was selling an identical one for craploads less. Or so I thought. When they arrived, I noted that they didn't look like the photo. The photo was a wavien, these had the spout in the middle- not the side, you couldn't fasten the spout to it, there was less room between the handles and the can so it was harder to grab. etc etc.

I'd been invited out by a buddy who had a place at the coast and a sweet boat. Thought that filling one of the gas cans up with non-ethonol and gifting it would be a nice thing. He was happy I was happy, we got crab. I thought that was the end of it. Nope.

Buddy came back to his beach house 2 weeks later to find the weld on "my", now his, chinese can had failed. His garage floor was covered in gas, and the fumes were off the charts in that sealed space. The tiniest spark would have blown everything he owned including the boat sky high....we don't know why that didn't occur. I was damned embarrassed. What I learned is don't cheap out. You may have better luck with cheap crap, but keep that warning in mind. My Waviens from 2015 are still flawless.
The cans come sometime today so I will give a report.

I have seen fakes on sale "Military Style"/etc., and the photos they show are obviously the fakes/imitations. The reviews for the fakes are never good. Would love it is Wavian/Valpro made them in stainless but I am sure that would be costly. SG sells a "stainless" can, but the reviews say they rust, so probably not even stainless (stainless can rust, just not near as easily as non-stainless).

I used one of my Valpros I already have the other day to add gas to my pickup and it worked flawlessly - the vent setup (inside the can and part of the nozzle) worked well with no gurgling/surging or leaking. The nozzles I have are the metal flex "hose" type (I need the length for my diesel truck which has a inlet under the flatbed) and IME with GI cans, the flex portion of it will probably leak eventually (with long use), so I am thinking of maybe putting thin rubber hose around the flex portion. Or maybe some shrink tubing (not sure if that is gas/diesel resistant).

Or maybe it was the cheap nozzles I had for the GI cans?

These are the NATO nozzles I bought - Amazon now wants 2X+ $ what I paid previously. Rover Parts wants $26 - a much better price.
61xzo4tagYL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I did have a little leakage at the gasket, but not much.

YMMV

I ordered and got these labels:

So that I can easily know which cans have gas and which have diesel, plus I put one on my truck so brain dead gas station attendants don't try to put gas in my diesel tank. I also have a few containers dedicated to mixed fuel for my 2 strokes. I wish they had included labels for kerosene/etc. - I guess I can just use an indelible pen - but not as good as a label.

Same as the Valrpo cans I already have, except they say "Wavian" on them and don't have one of the stickers that I take off the Valpro cans. I think the other side of the can has the flame icon that the Valpros do not - I will have to check that?

Same quality, same inner paint, etc.

Anyway - genuine Wavian cans.

Mine came in and I drained a full one from storage into the car with 2 year old gas:-( (Normally I change it out every year, must have forgotten last year) then went and filled the 2 up with new "clear" gas. I bungied them together in my car trunk and on the 2nd corner they fell over on their sides ...both full of gas. Not a single drop escaped.

I only store non-ethonol. You can find it near you via this link: https://www.pure-gas.org/

I put Pri-G in my gas and Pri-D in my diesel. I've had no problems with either, no matter how long I store it, and I just get plain old pump gas, but I get it in the summer mostly.

Most people don't understand that the lower the octane, the better - usually; depends on what you run it in. For lawn mowers/etc., get regular gas, not premium.

Me too Heretic, however, Pri-g is supposed to have an expiration date of 2 years from date of opening, and as it's costly I don't always have current product. In fact, I'd written 2018 on the near empty one I had. I looked up to confirm that 2 year expiration date number was real and not a poor memory of mine and didn't see it on their site. Wonder if I pulled it off of the back of a container. Regardless, seems to do the job.

https://priproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2015-PRI-G-Flyer.pdf

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews