JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Water Treatment With sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate

I researched making water safe with chlorine quite a bit a few months ago and I would like to share what I have found.

People have been using the old pool shock, calcium hypochlorite, to do this for some time and it works well except for how caustic it is. It is known to eat through about any container it is stored in.

The new chemical on the block is sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate. This is a MUCH less caustic and safe to store chemical chlorine compound. It is available as Clorox Pool and Spa Active 99 Shock at Walmart for $12.99. It is in a 3.5lb jug (get granules not tabs) and will treat a LOT of water. The jugs are easy to transport and store and are sealed and safe. Shock in bags is a bad idea as it is not sealed as well.

DO NOT STORE OLD POOL SHOCK WITH CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE WITH THIS CHEMICAL. IF THEY COMBINE AN EXPLOSION IS POSSIBLE!!

Not too much info was out there on it except that it is accepted by the W.H.O. that 1/4 teaspoon would treat 55 gallons. While that is great, the ability to make smaller quantities of water safe is a good thing.

To use granules on small amounts of water would require a scale and precise measuring so what is needed is to make a "mother" bleach solution. With the help of several other guys from arfcom we did all of the math and came up with the following.

To treat smaller amounts, you need to make a bleach solution with a known quantity of chlorine. Also, there needs to be a little fudge factor so the amount of chlorine is slightly more than necessary to keep us from puking and crapping from some bug. Easy to use measurements are also required in a grid down situation as complicated formulas will lead to mistakes.

To make the "mother" bleach solution use 1/4 teaspoon granules in 1 quart of clean water.

To disinfect water with this solution: (solution, not granules!)

Use 1/2 cup (20 tsp) in 5 gallons
(1/2 cup is actually 24 tsp, but 20 tsp is plenty strong, 1/2 cup is used to make measuring easy.)
Use 4 tsp in 1 gallon
Use 1 tsp in 1 quart
Use 1/2 tsp in 1 pint

Stir or shake and let the bleach work.

Let treated water sit covered for a few hours if possible and then inspect. If chlorine smell is present, water is safe. If no chlorine smell is present, treat again. Once water is safe, it can sit uncovered for a while to reduce chlorine smell and taste. These amounts are slightly stronger than the accepted levels the World Health Organization recommends. Slightly stronger is better than too weak.

Easy peasy. I have these instructions in a heavy ziplock bag taped to each jug of this we have. I also have a 1/4 tsp, 1 tsp and a 1/2 cup measuring spoons/cup zip tied to the handles of the jugs. These came from a set that Walmart sells for 88 cents. I just threw the rest away and kept the ones I needed. Make sure if you do this that you use plastic, not metal spoons/cups.

I have multiples of this and multiples of the instructions. This and some saved large aspirin bottles or the like to split it up would be great bartering fodder.

That's it people. No excuse not to have this around and a quality water filter setup. I use Monolithic's 4″ filters and kits. They are .2 micron and the newest ones available from the NRA store also remove Arsenic and other heavy metals. I talked with the owner of Monolithic by telephone. He is good people and their products are top notch. The newest filters are only available at the NRA store he told me, they are the ones that spec'd the new design.

<broken link removed>

I remember how disappointed we were as kids when the old hypochlorite pool powder was replaced with dichloroisocyanurate. That was a cheap and easy source of bomb-making material that was gone forever! I think that's why calcium hypochlorite had to go: it was too much funnnnn. Ah, youth.

Where were we?
Isocyanurate is less alkaline and less corrosive than hypochlorite, but it's also less effective per gram - it takes more of it to get the same amount of free chlorine in solution. And I never had a problem storing hypochlorite in PE or PP containers; just keep it dry and in the dark.

If you want to be able to buy large, relatively inexpensive buckets of pool treatment to purify drinking water, then isocyanurate is the way to go. You haven't got much choice in any case. But it's neither as cheap nor as - versatile, shall we say - as hypochlorite.

Be careful with pool chems. Especially cal hypo. Be careful with storage. With those chlorine chems you can make some hot burning fires.
We've had several accidents at work with them.
And don't store near or mix with acid.
You won't regret it for long.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews