JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry for being mis-informed (been a long while to a gun show).

If you go to a gun show in Washington and you're a resident; do you have to go thru background checks / waiting periods like a normal purchase?

Thanks

Any and all "Dealer" sales are subject to background checks...There is not a waiting period for rilfes, and if you have a CPL no waiting on handguns.

"Private Party" transactions are just that resident to resident...

Is this a WAC show, like maybe at the Puyallup or Monroe fairgrounds, or another promoter? I ask because the WAC shows have a stricter set of rules to follow as far as gun sales go. There for instance you have to be a member of the Washington Arms Collectors to buy or sell a firearm at their shows; cost being $35/yr. IIRC

WAC do a background check at the door when you apply for membership right (unless you have a CPL)

I think once that is done you can do a 'private sale' transaction with anyone selling at the show, with no further paperwork? I could be wrong on that.

Pretty much. You sign up for their membership, pay the man, and it's off to the races as far as private party deals are concerned. If you don't have a CPL already they add a $12 background check fee to your membership. Here's a link to their site which has all the info on their shows....

<broken link removed>

ETA: check it out and decide for yourself. The WAC has grown to become a PC juggernaut and many out there have given up on it completely for several reasons. There are other good options out there like the ones listed below, especially the centralia show.

Clark County Fairgrounds show, Centralia show, and other smaller shows don't require a membership, and you can buy/sell/trade among other Wa state residents.

The WAC promoters have done nothing to further our right to continue FTF transactions. They want FTF to be banned so they get more membership money.

In a game of tug-of-war you don't budge an inch.

Thanks WAC for starting the trend.

(Antigunners say "look even the WAC shows/gun nuts want no sales without background checks so we need this")

I wouldn't be surprised if the WAC board of directors didn't co-sponsor the gun show bill "loophole" bill

WAC do a background check at the door when you apply for membership right (unless you have a CPL)

I think once that is done you can do a 'private sale' transaction with anyone selling at the show, with no further paperwork? I could be wrong on that.
'

"ANY AND ALL DEALER TRANSACTIONS ARE SUBJECT TO BACKGROUND CHECKS."

WAC rules have nothing to do with State or Federal laws. They are a "Club" that has their own rules and agenda above and beyond what is required by law...

'

"ANY AND ALL DEALER TRANSACTIONS ARE SUBJECT TO BACKGROUND CHECKS."

WAC rules have nothing to do with State or Federal laws. They are a "Club" that has their own rules and agenda above and beyond what is required by law...

for one really appreciate their requirements. I usually go with a friend who does private sales. I cover his table while he shops, then I shop while he covers. Anyway, they patrol the parking lot and have caught TV news teams trying to do illegal "buys" in the parking lot that later show up on TV. I don't think the TV stations have tried lately as they got caught too many times.

They do a great job of protection our rights to even have gun shows anymore.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
ACSWW member

for one really appreciate their requirements. I usually go with a friend who does private sales. I cover his table while he shops, then I shop while he covers. Anyway, they patrol the parking lot and have caught TV news teams trying to do illegal "buys" in the parking lot that later show up on TV. I don't think the TV stations have tried lately as they got caught too many times.

They do a great job of protection our rights to even have gun shows anymore.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
ACSWW member

You guys buy and sell but NOT for profit right??;)

Please elaborate on "Illegal buys" in the parking lot??? I did WAC shows for 4-5 years, but its been a few since I hung that up. The anti gunners bought "private party" on a couple of occasions to try to prove they could buy guns without background checks. This was not illegal by law but they were trying to shed a bad light on the shows. Illegal by WAC rules yes but not by law...

The WAC promoters have done nothing to further our right to continue FTF transactions. They want FTF to be banned so they get more membership money.

In a game of tug-of-war you don't budge an inch.

Thanks WAC for starting the trend.

(Antigunners say "look even the WAC shows/gun nuts want no sales without background checks so we need this")

I wouldn't be surprised if the WAC board of directors didn't co-sponsor the gun show bill "loophole" bill

not sure the source of your statements.... I've never heard this sort of talk amongst the WAC, and I'm a member. The reason they require the background check is to assure no felons, non-residents, or otherwise debarred people trade at our shows. We oppose the "gunshow loophole" legislation concept, and lobby against it. We encourage FTF sales, though there are plenty of FFL Dealers with tables at the shows.... private sales are greatly encouraged, and no move is afoot to end these. They do not get any more money by restricting sales to FFL dealers. No, in fact, many long standing members are not FFL. Never will be.

What you fail to realise in your statements is that, despite the fact that ALL members have passed background checks, and ONLY members (having passed background checks) any sales by FFL Dealers MUST, by federal law, pass the FBI background check EACH SALE. I have bought, at the WAC shows, from both private (non FFL) sellers and FFL Dealers. In EVERY CASE where I've bought from an FFL Dealer, there was the FBI background check for each purchase. That is Federal Law. No way around it, even though membership requires a background check.

So, tell me... how will they get more membership money if FTF sales are stopped? FTF means FTF, whether the club rules involve a background check or not. Even with the checks as a membership requirement, if FTF are banned statewide, the background check for FFL's will be required.... none have any hope the feds will benevolently waive the background check just because we've passed our membership background checks..... your statements do not hold water.....

to the original poster:

I note your location is "warren". If this is Warren, Oregon, you are not a Washington resident.... and thus can NOT make any purchases from any Washington resident without going through the background check.... federal BATF regs. Nor can you become a member of the Washington ARms Collectors, as you will still not be able to purchase or sell FTF at the gunshows, as you are a non-resident. Sorry, write your congressmen to change that insane restriction on interstate commerce. I believe you can buy a long gun from a Washington based FFL, but I KNOW you can NOT buy a handgun from anyone, anywhere in Washington, nor can the non-FFL transport any handgun into Oregon and sell it..... to you or anyone else.... except the sale be transferred by a Washington based FFL. Nor can you purchase ANY handgun while YOU are in Washington... it must be shipped to an FFL Dealer in Oregon

sorry to rain on your parade.... but those are the Federal regulations, which certainly do NOT infringe upon your/my right to keep and carry about handguns........

I appreciate the background checks the WAC does. I don't want to buy or sell a firearm to someone who shouldn't have one in the first place.

WAC runs a check once a year. Alot can and does happen to some in a years time. I have seen several "Denied" 4473's in my tenure. These are WAC members with current badges. I have also had WAC members with current badges make purchases that are NON RESIDENTS, so if you are selling "private party" its a good idea to check their state issued ID. While it may be step in the right direction in some peoples minds it doesn't even come close to catching them all.

Clark County Fairgrounds show, Centralia show, and other smaller shows don't require a membership, and you can buy/sell/trade among other Wa state residents.

Here's their directory. I won't go to the WAC shows any more because they require membership to buy/sell/trade firearms, plus a few other of their policies

<broken link removed>

I appreciate the background checks the WAC does. I don't want to buy or sell a firearm to someone who shouldn't have one in the first place.

Me either.. a CPL and drivers license is enough for me though. By Federal law you cannot sell knowingly to a prohibited person

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top