JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bought a Ruger Hawkeye and started looking for load info. It is skimpy to nonexistent. Anyone have suggestions for loading the .256 Winchester Magnum??

Thanks!!

I have never hear of a ".256 Winchester Magnum" or a "Ruger Hawkeye Pistol". Is the pistol a Ruger Red Hawk? Might the cartridge be a .327 Federal Magnum?

My bad, I did find this cartridge in my Hornady manual but there's not a whole lot of data on it. They have load data for a 60 gr FP, 75 gr HP & V-Max plus a 87 gr SP.

Pay no attention to the Orygun behind the curtain. His mother named him poorly, and he is enamored with the .30-06: a tragic character flaw on face value.

As for the .256, PM on the way to the pitiable owner of a Hawkeye.

Ammoguide has 25 loads for the .256, using bullet weights between 60 and 89 Grs.
I don't know how you all feel about Ammoguide, what with having to subscribe for a few bucks, but I've found it helpful on occasion.

That is an oldie no???

Well, it was state of the art and forefront of its niche in 1963, and to this date still fills a huge gap in choice of cartridge (between a .25-20 and a .25-35) if quarter-bore is your cup o' tea.

.25 caliber cartridges suitable for deer-size game:
Left to Right: .256 Winchester Magnum, .25-35 Winchester,.25 PPC (wildcat), .250-3000 Savage, .257 Roberts, .25-06 Remington.

PB070109.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads