JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Title says most of it. I want to build an awesome pistol. The issue is Im not a glock fan. they just aren't comfortable in my hands(its weird I know). I have an xdm but I feel like trying to find after market parts is super difficult, I also have an fnx 40 that ive considered converting to a 9mm. anyone have any suggestions as to where to start, id like to get into comp shooting, so this would be a foundation for that. any advice is welcome.

Build a SIG 320. Parts are not hard to find. The frames are cheap and not the controlled part in case you mess up. There are lots of shops that will do work on them too.

Title says most of it. I want to build an awesome pistol. The issue is Im not a glock fan. they just aren't comfortable in my hands(its weird I know). I have an xdm but I feel like trying to find after market parts is super difficult, I also have an fnx 40 that ive considered converting to a 9mm. anyone have any suggestions as to where to start, id like to get into comp shooting, so this would be a foundation for that. any advice is welcome.

Hi power or 1911

Maybe a P80 ?
There might be some frames locally that you could handle.
Based on Glock Gen 3

You want to "get into comp shooting"?? Specifically what kind of competition? A gun for USPSA Production
is a different critter from a gun for Bullseye. USPSA? IDPA? Steel Challenge? Where are you located and
what matches are near you? What is your vision of a "awesome pistol"??

Lots of questions-----

As far as having aftermarket support and goodies CZ probably has the most, but if you are going to "build it yourself" they can be a bit of a pain. The Sig P320 is very popular and the S&W M&P is also.

Title says most of it. I want to build an awesome pistol. The issue is Im not a glock fan. they just aren't comfortable in my hands(its weird I know).

The P80 frames were designed for people that hate the Glock grips and angle while retaining the legendary reliability and aftermarket support.

I'm considering building one in a subcompact .40 S&W variation. Not because I hate the Glock grip, but because I can build one "off the books" legally and not go through Washington state's horrid new pistol regulations.

You can choose the grip size and color and then from there,
there are thousands of different combinations you could choose from.

P80-PF940CV1.jpg

You can go mild to wild and spend from the same as a stock pistol ($440) up to whatever your wallet can stand...

7ef79a6e56bde795f5015d1ffd8fcde7.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The 1911 is quite doable, and there are countless combinations you could source for a build. While its not the easiest build, it is a most satisfying undertaking. The tools needed are going to add to the cost and if this is a one and done build, not very cost effective for you. That said, you can build any combo any way you want and have a very nice unit when done, and have the satisfaction of having built it your self! :)

Is the p80 fairly simple to mill out using the jig? I watched a video of it awhile back and as it seemed a fairly straight forward it also seemed like it would be easy to mess up.

You want to "get into comp shooting"?? Specifically what kind of competition? A gun for USPSA Production
is a different critter from a gun for Bullseye. USPSA? IDPA? Steel Challenge? Where are you located and
what matches are near you? What is your vision of a "awesome pistol"??

Lots of questions-----

As far as having aftermarket support and goodies CZ probably has the most, but if you are going to "build it yourself" they can be a bit of a pain. The Sig P320 is very popular and the S&W M&P is also.

3 gun is what I've looked at the most. I've been debating a sig, I've handled a few p320s and they're comfortable I've just never shot one and honestly never looked into the aftermarket parts market for them. I feel like I just see glock parts EVERYWHERE

3 gun is what I've looked at the most. I've been debating a sig, I've handled a few p320s and they're comfortable I've just never shot one and honestly never looked into the aftermarket parts market for them. I feel like I just see glock parts EVERYWHERE

Limited or Open 3 gun? USPSA multi-gun rules or something else? Agreed there is a huge aftermarket for
Glock. 1911/2011 also---perhaps even more. If it were me, either the Sig or M&P with slide mount optic
capability in 9mm. USPSA Production and Carry Optic, and it could be somewhat competitive in L10 and Limited. I would lean toward the M&P Pro C.O.R.E--but only because I have magazines etc for one already.
Still waiting for S&W to bring out the C.O.R.E 2.0.
With what I have on the shelf right now, I would probably grab one of my CZ75 SP-01 Tacticals for 3 gun.

P 80 pistol builds are quite easy. I could do one with a pocket knife and a cordless drill while sitting on the couch watching tv. Actually on the first one, I did use the mill bit for hogging out the bulk of the material but a sharp knife some files and sandpaper is what works best to finish. The second one I did forgo the mill bit and just used the hand tools mentioned. A caveman could do it. Sorry Jim!:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top