JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy. Still relatively new to this forum.

Moved to WA late last year from a conservative community in California. I knew the firearms laws inside and out in that state. Still learning here. (Please, forgive my ignorance in advance.)

Question: is it legal for me to purchase a short-barreled (say, anything less than 16") AR-9mm pistol in Washington, or from out of state and have it shipped to WA? If so, does it need any special registration? And am I restricted as to the accessories I can put on it? (CA, for example, never allowed forward pistol grips on any ARs...)

TIA!

AR pistols are just like any pistol here. You no longer can buy the standard mags for it, have to settle for 10 rounders. If its shipped here it of course has to go to an FFL for the transfer. Like all hand guns there is a waiting period. Supposed to be no more than 10 days. Can often be a lot longer than that.
If you do not want to jump through the NFA hoops and make it an SBR, want it to stay a pistol, then no vertical fore grip. That's not WA law, that's fed law.

Not really WA specific, but nationally that issue is really up in the air at the moment as the ATF is attempting to make a new rule governing the status of braced pistols (a pistol) vs a brace now being a stock and your pistol now being a short barrel rifle (SBR) requiring a $200 tax stamp.

You might do a search in the forums and review some of the recent threads to get up to speed with the issue before deciding to buy one or not.

As it stands, the new ATF rule is set to be released in December (pushed back from August) which would make an effective date 120 after the rule is announced. Recent SCOTUS rulings will also likely lead to any ATF rule being challenged.

On youtube, WashingtonGunLaw covers many of the recent changes in WA and upcoming issues extensively that might be helpful.

If I were considering buying one right now, I would choose to hold off until currently developing issues are more clear. YMMV.

Conversely... If I were considering buying one right now, I would buy it while you still can.
That's valid too. Just as long as you're aware and open to possibly having to either modify it in some way or possibly register it for a tax stamp in the not distant future.

It seems like some people have already decide to not mess with them and selling off build parts at some really good price points. Likewise, retailers have been offering some really decent pricing to encourage ongoing sales. It's not at all a bad time to pick up some good deals. :s0155:

90% of FFLs know the law and process receivers and frames as receivers and frames. Some apply a big helping of extra caution and put frames through the pistol process. But I don't think the state's pistol transfer application even has an option on it for frames and receivers. In 2024 the state is supposed to add a state process for these transfers too.

Step one: Buy the lower receiver alone. Instant 4473, no state paperwork.

Step two: Plan the rest of the build.
This is by far the easiest way to do this. I have not looked in quite a while so no idea of the prices. When I built my AR9 pistol it did cost me far more to build than if I had just bought one then. I did this way because I wanted to try my hand at it and it was fun. By the time I bought all the stuff though I could have almost bought a couple of the ones that were sold complete back then. Have "heard" there is a lot of the parts on the market right now since so many are not sure what is going to happen and price has dropped? Have not bothered to look to see. The build was fun as hell. First time took it to the range and it worked sure felt great. :D

90% of FFLs know the law and process receivers and frames as receivers and frames. Some apply a big helping of extra caution and put frames through the pistol process. But I don't think the state's pistol transfer application even has an option on it for frames and receivers. In 2024 the state is supposed to add a state process for these transfers too.
One of the supporting vendors here, Sporting Systems, said something about this a while back when this was all up in the air. Can't remember what he was saying any more though. Took a quick look at a local shop here and they are still selling lowers and they have them listed as just lowers, not rifle or pistol, so have to guess they are still transferring them as "other" for now. Now doubt the AG here is working on some way to make this a mess as that seems to be his goal in life. Do nothing about crime but always looking for some way to make it hard on the people who do not commit crime. 🤬

Not really WA specific, but nationally that issue is really up in the air at the moment as the ATF is attempting to make a new rule governing the status of braced pistols (a pistol) vs a brace now being a stock and your pistol now being a short barrel rifle (SBR) requiring a $200 tax stamp.

You might do a search in the forums and review some of the recent threads to get up to speed with the issue before deciding to buy one or not.

As it stands, the new ATF rule is set to be released in December (pushed back from August) which would make an effective date 120 after the rule is announced. Recent SCOTUS rulings will also likely lead to any ATF rule being challenged.

On youtube, WashingtonGunLaw covers many of the recent changes in WA and upcoming issues extensively that might be helpful.

If I were considering buying one right now, I would choose to hold off until currently developing issues are more clear. YMMV.
Appreciate updates, but it would be simpler to remove any brace than to SBR an AR pistol, don't you think?

Appreciate updates, but it would be simpler to remove any brace than to SBR an AR pistol, don't you think?
I have right now one AR9 that has a nice brace. That is my intention if they take them from us, just remove it. While back I watched a video of a guy using a single point sling and the buffer to fire an AR pistol. Looked pretty cool so I did some practice with mine. Not as fun or easy as the brace but still did not take long to get pretty damn good with it this way. So if / when they take the brace mine will sadly be taken off but I will still keep the AR pistol. Best part about it is I can carry it loaded in my vehicle with my CPL as its considered a pistol.

I have right now one AR9 that has a nice brace. That is my intention if they take them from us, just remove it. While back I watched a video of a guy using a single point sling and the buffer to fire an AR pistol. Looked pretty cool so I did some practice with mine. Not as fun or easy as the brace but still did not take long to get pretty damn good with it this way. So if / when they take the brace mine will sadly be taken off but I will still keep the AR pistol. Best part about it is I can carry it loaded in my vehicle with my CPL as its considered a pistol.
I like braces too, but if the ATF makes an issue with them, just take them off and wait for the court to overturn.
IMHO

If that worksheet goes into and stays in effect though, it's also unclear of what exactly it "could" be applied to. Tangentially. IE., Even without a brace or stock of any kind, the characteristics being scored "could" still be applied to classify a pistol as an SBR. IE., "Any extension that might facilitate shoulder stabilized firing."

That seems like the next logical step for the anti-gun crowd. Baby steps... baby steps...

The fear of a new rule like this goes beyond how they are trying to sell it at the moment. Unless of course, a person believes "It's okay. It's not that big of a deal and they're done now."

Just sayin..... :s0155:

Check out the Aero Precision EPC-9 lower/upper set. Uses Glock mags. Nicely made and reasonably priced.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews