JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was born to watch TV. My dad was a TV repairman. We had SIX TVs in, like, 1965. Living in a lower middle class neighborhood in a home designed, and a bunch of it built, by my dad. A home that most certainly DID NOT match with other homes in the semi rural area we lived. School mates thought we were rich! :s0114:

It's like crack, TV watching. I'm addicted. I scan 300 channels of nothing but crap reality shows, sports and news channels, cursing the whole time. :(
And on your deathbed, you'll wish you had seen the lost episode of "Leave it to Beaver." :s0140:

The only tv standards we have in our home is that we have no tv.
The moment we kicked tv to the curb my I.Q. went up 35 points.
It's up to 60 now..................:s0018:
Haven't had a paid TV subscription since 2005, and don't miss it one bit.
Only thing the TV is for in my home is for watching my favorite movies on old DVDs.

Oh, and the even older VHS tapes, too... :oops:

Last Edited:
I was born to watch TV. My dad was a TV repairman. We had SIX TVs in, like, 1965. Living in a lower middle class neighborhood in a home designed, and a bunch of it built, by my dad. A home that most certainly DID NOT match with other homes in the semi rural area we lived. School mates thought we were rich! :s0114:

It's like crack, TV watching. I'm addicted. I scan 300 channels of nothing but crap reality shows, sports and news channels, cursing the whole time. :(
That's what makes the fishing license worth buying! ;)

I would argue that nudity, drug use, profanity, and violence are all moral/psychological issues. Smoking is a health issue.

When will they add the warning that the show contains consumption of fatty foods? Or lack of regular exercise? Or driving fossil fuel vehicles?

The warnings are meant to advise of content that one would not find in everyday life so as to allow better judgement ahead of a viewing. For most of us, we don't see drug use in daily life, or violence, or people having sex, and even profanity is generally limited to an "oh sh!t" when you drop something...For most of us today, tobacco use is also not a daily thing we see.

Whether or not something is a moral issue is in the context around the act. This is why, for example, many networks are beginning to get more descriptive in their warnings...A movie that has a rape scene will warn of rape, not just "nudity."

I'm particularly fond of the Parent's Guide section of IMDB for movies or shows that I have not seen.

My daughter has a whole lifetime to learn how dark and amoral a human can be - right now I appreciate that she's just a kid, and a toddler at that.

Hollywood does have a major impact on society and actors as role models, like it or not. My kid is currently enthralled with Kristoff and Sven (Frozen) and I can tell you that I'm glad that he's a good role model.

Me thinks you take the "nanny state" idea a bit too personally. This isn't the state doing anything - it's private corporations making decisions about how they alert people to content ahead of viewing. People will vote with their wallet. If you think Netflix is being too "nanny" then go back to CableTV. Because, I can tell you that all of the providers use similar warnings (Hulu, Amazon, etc).

I find it more interesting that on cable TV it's all good to see someone's heads blown off or any other various ways of brutal murder, and yet, heaven forbid, you show a nude image or say bubblegum.

American society has some strange morals, specially concerning nudity and violence.

You can thank our Puritan heritage for that. Go ahead and slaughter some Indians but God forbid you show some leg.

As far as I can tell, violence has been a part of every human culture - there's just no way around it. Wars are waged and people must do terrible things to survive. Naturally, we have to grow to accept it.

But, nudity is far more controllable. For all the "control" that people like to claim the government is attempting...have you ever stopped to think about the control that exists over your perceptions of your own body?

I chuckle at these warnings.

I'd prefer a warning about a shaking camera that will arouse my vertigo and make me nauseated for three days.

Smoking? eh.
A little boob? Eh. A little side shot is nothing to write home about.
Language.. maybe they should fix the rating system?

Hypersensitivity.

The only tv standards we have in our home is that we have no tv.
The moment we kicked tv to the curb my I.Q. went up 35 points.
It's up to 60 now..................:s0018:
I have not owned a telly since 2009, and then it was a box telly. I ditched it when it can time to move and the only space left in my Dodge Neon was the passenger seat. I disassembled my mtn bike and put my guitar in the front passenger seat. No more telly, but I enjoy Netflix.

That's what makes the fishing license worth buying! ;)

If I can get out of the S*itty (PDX) to a place where it doesn't take 30+ minutes just to get 60 blocks, I'll fully agree with that! I've ALWYS had a fishing license. This year will be only the second year, since 1984, I haven't bought a salmon/steelhead tag.

Netflix knows what's best for YOU.....just like how, Google, Microsoft, Face Book, Twitter, etc.... all know BETTER than YOU DO.

Not to forget that Uncle Sam (and other taxing Govt entities) knows how to spend your money.

Aloha, Mark

(Not to offend anyone and Mods please delete if necessary)

I'm so glad someone else noticed this. We were binge watching a series and I noticed the warning up front. Then into the show it showed a couple of guys BFing (what guys do) and I mentioned how glad I was that they mentioned smoking and not that other!

Anybody watch "Narcos Mexico" on Netflix? Probably a carton per episode. It had the smoking warning prior to each viewing. Well as it turns out smoking is by far the lesser of all the "evils" in this series. I watched both seasons and it kept me fascinated.

Never occurred to me to get worked up over...

It's not like it stops me from watching the program:rolleyes:

What I care about is when there isn't any nudity warnings - then I'm disappointed:(

Let me just say going into this:

I love female nudity onscreen. Sorry.... us older male lesbians need to get a rise somehow!! The Euro model on this works better for me.

When will they add the warning that the show contains consumption of fatty foods? Or lack of regular exercise? Or driving fossil fuel vehicles?

Soon, given Netflix ownership and their political proclivities, very soon.

Most people don't even pay attention to the warning screen.

Huh? There's warnings? Where??? ;);)

It's like crack, TV watching. I'm addicted. I scan 300 channels of nothing but crap reality shows, sports and news channels, cursing the whole time.

My physical and medical condition has caused me to lose almost all my hobbies. Seems like eating and watching tube is all that is left. Covid coming was not much of a change for me.

But I've pared down my TV to the UHF translator channels (maybe 10 of them), YouTube (on my Roku for watching music, doggie rescue, The Dodo, some movies, and a very few talking heads), and a basic Netfux subscription.

Netflix knows what's best for YOU.....just like how, Google, Microsoft, Face Book, Twitter, etc.... all know BETTER than YOU DO.

Look what all those have in common! Any TV org that would hire a certain former prez and his wife to continue to preach, shake fingers, and proselytize, has a certain ideology. This is also reflected in the other shows they have on, many are by directors that are very politically active in one direction only.

Never occurred to me to get worked up over...

It's not like it stops me from watching the program:rolleyes:

What I care about is when there isn't any nudity warnings - then I'm disappointed:(

I always love a show with some "Partial Nudity". You just KNOW it's going to be female partial nudity.

I love female nudity onscreen. Sorry.... us older male lesbians need to get a rise somehow!! The Euro model on this works better for me.

Sometimes I swear we come from the same place.

Both youse guys....Do you ever watch "Bothched? Hmm? I really like the show. The docs are great. I find it very rewarding. Not in a sexual way. It's a great thing to see these beautiful women that have been messed up by hack surgeons come to the Drs and get themselves in a better place. And then there's the whacked out plastic surgery addicts that are total freak shows with their 2000 CC implants, butts, lips, cheeks....The doctors tell 'em straight and don't touch them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top